1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much traffic VPS is capable to handle?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by gooner4ever, Sep 23, 2008.

Hi, please can someone tell me how much traffic virtual private server for 50$ is capable to handle a day.

I'm having 25 000 page views a day, with less then 10 000 uniques. Visit length is nothing, 61.1% percent of visitors stay less than 5 seconds.

Should this cause problems for VPS?

Thank You

gooner4ever, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  2. jayshah

jayshah Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Can you list the specifications of the VPS so we can tailor our advice to it?

Thanks,

Jay

jayshah, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  3. IC_IC

IC_IC Peon

Best Answers:
    10k uniques a day seems too high for a vps. I would say 5k would be the upper limit but I am just guesstimating

IC_IC, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  4. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    5k? That's impossible, shared hosting can take that without problem!

Here:

Disk space: 15GB
    Data Transfer: 600GB
    Guaranteed memory: 256MB
    Burstable Memory: 1GB
    Burstable: 100Mbps
    Memory Limit: 256 MB Guaranteed
    CPU Limit: Equal Share

Machine:
    Intel Xeon Processor: 4xCore 2.66Ghz
    12 GB of DDR 400 RAM
    100 Mbps Burstable

5. samcroft11

samcroft11 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need something with higher RAM for your VPS.

For example cPanel runs on a minimum of 256, directadmin on around 50mb, lxadmin on even less.

Up your RAM to around 768 then I'd feel comfortable. It does all depend on your type of site though, if its something like Wordpress it will run easily, anything dynamic or with media will have more-so problems.

samcroft11, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  6. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using Wordpress, neither I'm hosting video files. And I'm still getting slow downs. Every hour for 3-5 minutes my site is down.

7. The Universes

The Universes Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried optimizing your server? A lot of the out of the box configuration values just won't do it when you get more traffic.
    Are you using a caching plugin like wp-supercache for Wordpress?

The Universes, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  8. jliu

jliu Peon

Best Answers:
    What VPS provider are you using? Do you know what virtualization software they are using? They could be overselling their servers and as a result you aren't getting all the resources which you purchased.

jliu, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  9. imagize

imagize Peon

Best Answers:
    256MB for a VPS is not enough memory to run any decent sized site well. Apache and MySQL require a lot of memory for a popular site and your operating system needs memory as well don't forget. If you are using prefork mpm which makes one process for each request (default for apache), then the average process size is usually 10-20MB for a php based site.

So 256MB of ram will not get you very far.

imagize, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  10. The Universes

The Universes Peon

Best Answers:
    He states its 256MB guaranteed and burstable to 1GB. Probably be helpful if the OP could post his userbeancounters.

Run this and post the output

The Universes, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  11. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    Burst is shared for all VPS. When ordering a VPS, I would not pay attention to burst. I see many offers with high value of burst memory, but it's useless. Customer's VPS is still down. With $50/month, he can get a Xen-based VPS with own memory and own swap. It's much better than burstable memory.

However, it still depends on how optimized the VPS is.

gate2vn, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  12. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
  13. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My VPS has a little over 800 megs of memory, dual processor Quad core.

I run 5 websites - 2 VBulletin forums, 1 SMF forum and 2 wordpress sites.

One site gets between 1.3 - 1.4 million page views a month and over 34,000 uniques a month. Another site gets over 1,000 uniques a month.

http://www.quantcast.com/p-fcVOS3ySAn0MI/traffic/sites
    http://www.quantcast.com/survivalistboards.com

Even with all of this I still have around 300 megs free memory on my VPS. With one or two sites, a VPS with 512 of memory should run fine - depending on the software you are running. Some types of website software are resource hogs, some run well.

~kev~, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  14. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know how many of the resources do your applications need to rum smoothly, so I will advice you to go for guaranteed 512 RAM.

HostColor, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  15. wackzingo

wackzingo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been with Media Temple on their (gs) for about 2 years now I also have a Dedicated virtual server. They have been the best host I've ever used.

Consider their (gs) service, with a properly optimized wordpress site, it can handle about 1-3 million hits depending on what the users do and plugins used. It costs $20 plus they have awesome 24 hours phone support. Most people however only get about 50k-300k hits before they start running into overage fee's on their custom GPU which is some calculation about the resources used. This is because from looking at their sites it's mostly because their unoptimized. Still, the (gs) doesn't slow down, it just costs you more money if you go over. It would easily handle 25k and 10K unique visitors a day.

Another host that I've heard good things about is Slice Host and their prices are really good, although they don't have the same level of support as Media Temple.

wackzingo, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  16. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    I was really tempted to move over MediaTemple but I was with MidPhase whole year and I didn't have any experience before with hosting companies...

So I decided to stay with MihPhase but this time on VPS, because I was not into moving sites from one to another server. Is it complicated btw?

Now, I have already paid for the first 3 month .... and they are giving me headaches

I couldn't believe that VPS couldn't handle 25 000 - 35k page views (not unique visitors ) while my shared host was easily handling 10 000 ( also on mihphase)

gooner4ever, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  17. wackzingo

wackzingo Peon

Best Answers:
    Moving a site isn't so much complicated or difficult as much as it can be time consuming and tedious. For things like Wordpress or any other well known CMS, it's really just a matter of copying your files over and repopulating the database because the applications are usually built to be portable and not as dependent upon a specific setup like a custom system might be. Then change the DNS and wait a few days.

A VPS should be able to handle 25k page view and 10k unique users without problem if everything (both server side and client) is optimized correctly. Actually, I don't know why a VPS couldn't handle twice that although it depends heavily upon which resources are running. As some mentioned, it's more of an issue with RAM than anything else, but 256 should be enough.

To go back to Media Temple's grid service, here are some quotes from their forums where we were sharing some of our stats. The problem isn't about their (gs) handling the traffic, it's only about how much you can afford. But for $20 they give you 1000 GPU's which mostly has to do with CPU usage. Anyways, here what people said:

A GPU overage charge is $0.10/per GPU

wackzingo, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  18. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone mentions VPS hardware or config files here.But what about the query amounts at the pages?Did you optimize your queries or do you use static content?

rootbinbash, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  19. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So what cpanel are you using that does not take all the memory ?
    I am using Plesk and it sure as hell consumes all of the memory !!

Most VPS (I would say) suffer from memory shortage
    since the cpanel used for managing them consumes lots of
    memory. Therefore I would suggest to upgrade your memory!!
    If you ask me the hosting companies should not be SELLING packages
    with memory that is JUST enough for the control panel to run !!!

IF you go with Media Temple its a good company BUT AVOID the
    gridserver it might be powerful but it still has LOTS of downtime ....
    I have been with them for a year already and moved to VPS

Chios, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  20. chovy

chovy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a wordpress site on (mt) hosting, and I overshot the 1,000GPUs in 4 days by about 7,000 GPUs. The site only gets about 8k unique visits/day (google analytics).

How do you manage to server 36k uniques per day and only use 13 GPUs with wordpress???

I've disabled all the junk plugins/widgets I didn't need...but it still is way WAY over the 1000 GPUs.

I've tried both wp-super-cache + w3 total cache (both seem to cause more cpu usage than they save).

chovy, Oct 11, 2010 IP