1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much traffic to make good adsense money?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by lorien1973, Oct 13, 2004.

I currently have 2 retail sites. I get about 3500 visitors per day between them. Some days, I really hate the retail market and want to move to maybe a publisher site instead.

Anyone have any idea as to what % of click thrus I could expect on that visitor count I'm in the home & garden market. Has to be a way to get an approximate amount of income on this isn't there?

I currently run adwords at the bottom of my pages, and I make about $40/month on it, but maybe moving it up could be of some benefit to me.

lorien1973, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It doesn't matter what industry it is, moving the AdSense ads into a more prominent position will *always* yield a better CTR.

digitalpoint, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  3. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Can't really tell you how much of an increase but if you move the adsense block to just under your header that is below the breadcrumb and make the adsense border color white rather than blue (and maybe made the link color a deep red or deep green instead of the standard blue) you will definitely see a large increase ... whether it is 2x or 20x ... can't say... try it and report back ;)

Nitin M, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  4. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The great thing about Google's ads are that they are alway relevant to the site they are shown on. The trick is to make sure that they don't look like a gaudy ad or a banner. Integrate them on every page of your site.

Help Desk, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more TB, the moment I made mine look like part of my site, instantly more click through.

NewComputer, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  6. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I did what Nitin suggested. Dark red border and put it above the second breadcrumbs. Its in eye shot when someone looks at just about any page now. I'll see how it goes for a while. I hate that I had to pick the big rectangle (ads by google is on top there) - so I might have to switch to another style later if I like how it looks live.

I'm interested in seeing if it affects sales (conversion rates) or if people who already aren't interested in what I'm offering click away and I make money on sales I would have not gotten anyways.

$20-$40 a day would be really nice though. I spend about $15/day on adwords for my other 2 sites, so making advertising profitable would be a nice little trade.

7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that adsense ad is far far too low on the page. Try what Nitin says.

Infiniterb, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  8. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    You did it already? I might have been looking at the wrong site when I made my suggestions :eek: I'm looking at the garden site in your sig ... don't see any changes there, yet...

Nitin M, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  9. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    This sites is a yahoo store. I make changes on the backend, then publish them. It takes about 8-10 hours for them to show up due to the number of pages I have on the site. I'll check later on and see if its done. Sitewide chnages are worst. I coded it, so I could stop displaying the ads with a little yes/no option if I don't like it or want to turn them off for a while.

10. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Not to nitpick, but this is what he suggested...

:) I agree with his suggestion. Placing a dark red border around the whole thing will make it look like a banner to me. Just thought I would point that out.

chachi, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  11. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Is it possible to call the adsense script from a .js file instead of putting the code onto the page directly? <script src=adsense.js></script> ?
    I'm not quite ready to make it that prominent quite yet. Whenever it appears, I'll see how I like it. I probably will end up removing the border entirely from it. Integrate it more; and use one of the formats that moves the "ads by google" line to the bottom of the ad instead of the top of it. I'll see though. Its a work in progress :) Initially I'm interested in seeing if CTR goes higher; and what google says my effective CPM is. If its substantially higher than my current profit/order, then I'll make adjustments.

12. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Well I'm only dabbling with Adsense atm but I'm getting $2-$4 per day from 80 visitors. My CTR is a lot higher than I expected it to be.

mnemtsas, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  13. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Looks like I finally updated last night sometime. My click thru rate went from .3% yesterday to 3.9% so far today - if it was above the fold (above the first breadcrumbs or just below it, I'm sure I could get it to 10% or so). Effective CPM is $10 or something. Not too bad, about what I had expected.

lorien1973, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  14. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Yes - above the fold and without the border and left aligned to match your content would also see a dramatic increase.

While we appreciate your openness with your numbers .... be careful ... divulging this information, esp. with regards to a specific site, is against the adsense TOS.

Would be nice if there were some type of "By invitation only" section of the forums so we could discuss these types of things in a semi-private environment ... but, until there is, be careful how much information you divulge.

Nitin M, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  15. plusd

plusd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you sell products there?

plusd, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  16. mahadzira

mahadzira Peon

Best Answers:
    Try rapping the ads with word that are similar to google adsense
    You can do that easily on vbulletin forum like this digital point.
    If you want to see sample like i did ..
    you have to PM me
    I donno until when can i post my signature or link here....
    my post espacially the first one look excactly like google adsense...
    goodbye joel comm:p

mahadzira, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  17. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone really brought this back from the dead. With 3500 visitors/day you should be able to monetize that to much more than $40/month. As digitalpoint said you need to get those ads into prominent positions on your pages. I personally like to align the ads on the left hand said of my content and give them some color. Another thing is that payouts can really depend on the subject of your website.

cgo85, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  18. adigital

adigital Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sure that today (after 4 years) he is having more than 3,500 visitors and enough time experiencing with different ad companies, ad positions e.t.c

adigital, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  19. subesh06

subesh06 Peon

Best Answers:
    if your website mark 20000 visitors from your website .....you can make $500 money per day . you can check out here your adsense incomes . becouse its true and indeed adsense money .
    www.work-at-home-teens.blogspot.com

subesh06, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  20. tehmina11

tehmina11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Reposition your adsense ads and see the effect. Try differnt combinations analyze the results and opt the one which gives the best result.

Moving adsense block under the header in most cases have improved the CTR.

Its better to change the ads placement after the month so that the users feel like the change in the site structure.

Do a lot of experiment and track the result.

Regards

Tehmina

tehmina11, Aug 20, 2008 IP