1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much traffic can you get from directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by mediaprom, Feb 11, 2011.

I have submit my site over a 1000 directories from PR 0-8; (i"m still shaking:)..... But how much traffic can you get from directories if any?

mediaprom, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  2. snogglemedia

snogglemedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never actually spent much time here. From what I've read social news and social bookmarking sites will yield more direct traffic than directories. I'm pretty sure the main purpose of link and article dir's is to improve your overall pagerank, backlinks count, etc.

snogglemedia, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  3. realnetworker

realnetworker Guest

Best Answers:
    I think I agree with snogglemedia, don't depend on too much traffic from directories. Work on getting your site ranked higher and you will get traffic through search engines.

realnetworker, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  4. suhailseo

suhailseo Peon

Best Answers:
    you can get traffic by directories submission. but it depend on how much back link is created by directories submission .

suhailseo, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  5. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i am curious which PR8 web directories you have submitted to.

WallaceYeung, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  6. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A fair amount. ;)

dvduval, Feb 11, 2011 IP
    WallaceYeung likes this.
  7. alek

alek Banned

Best Answers:
    You can not get good traffic from directories. There are lots of other traffic methods exist.

alek, Feb 11, 2011 IP
    pararudalf likes this.
  8. hilhilginger

hilhilginger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic cannot be assured from submitting your site under various directories. The keyword that used in the site is very important for you must be listed in the first page of SE and you get good traffic.

hilhilginger, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  9. skyinfo

skyinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories will not give you traffic, it only gives back link.. For traffic you can do Social Bookmarking, Article Submission and Forum posting..

skyinfo, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  10. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    well you did not gain any traffic from any directory but you will get a high pr back links if you put you site in high page rank directory ...when you got enough back links from different site then Google will show you website on first page ..but that will take minimum 3 months

Irfi0009, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quality, well-run directories can and do send traffic. Spammy directories that accept every submission in whatever category they are submitted in won't.

YMC, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  12. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience I see no traffic from the directories I submitted to...to be honest many directories are created to capture email address of the webmaster to send them unwanted solicitation. They also are create them to build high pr websites and once the pr is high enough they turn around and sell the website and email list.

Either way your better offer going the social media route if you want to see any type of traffic. Try a paid guest post if the competition in your niche offers them. Hubpages and Ezine is another way to generate good traffic.

scotman, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  13. megri

megri Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not hope for much traffic from directories unless they are old and have good page rank

megri, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  14. kattok

kattok Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably from normal general directories will be no traffic, but some very specialized directories may bring a few visitors.

kattok, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  15. lumpy

lumpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no directory that sends you direct traffic. Directories are made for links, not for visitors.

What makes you think a visitor would more likely spend hours surfing through web directories than run a quick search on Google ?

lumpy, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  16. yosmith

yosmith Peon

Best Answers:
    Also do article submission and blog commenting, Forums posting for increase thr traffic and backlinks to your site .

yosmith, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  17. andrewmax

andrewmax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Article posting,Forum posting are easy ways for generating high traffic

andrewmax, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  18. pararudalf

pararudalf Peon

Best Answers:
    Alek said right thing here. Lots of other ways for traffic available why directory?

pararudalf, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  19. formula

formula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it is true that you don't get a lot of traffic from directories but still you can get some...
    for example in my Link2share directory this webite got 32 users from my directory. It is not a lot but something...
    http://link2share.com/detail/link-96.htm

formula, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No traffic? Here's a few numbers from one of my directories. Among the most popular craft websites, traffic for the top 5 is as follows...

1 = 11,104
    2 = 6,178
    3 = 5,968
    4 = 5,480
    5 = 4,621

Not bad for the 5 minutes it took to submit. Ironically, several of those sites were listed by myself, so they didn't even have to submit. Sure there's other listings that have realized only a few visitors but to make blanket statements that no directories send traffic is categorically false. What is true is that you will generally see more traffic from niche directories and less from general directories. What is true is you get highly targeted traffic. (One professional directory sends me very little traffic to my writing business but it almost always leads to an inquiry.) What is also true is that if you submit to poorly run directories or submit to a directory where your listing is back on page 58 of the category, yes you will not get traffic.

When I do directory submissions, I look to see if the directory is well-run which includes no spammy descriptions, no listings in the wrong categories and categories that are no more than 4-5 pages deep. If you submit to every directory you can find regardless of how it's being run, then yes, you'll probably see no traffic because the directory will never rank for subject-related terms.

YMC, Feb 14, 2011 IP