1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much to 'ask' for a domain?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by lindavdz, Oct 28, 2005.

A few weeks ago I registered a domain at Yahoo and parked it on Sedo.com

Today I received an email from someone saying they're interested in buying the domain and asking me what my desired price is.

It probably sounds weird but, I haven't got a clue as to what my ' desired price' would be?
    How would I find out if what I would ask would be too much or too little given the possible 'domain potentional'?

Anyone else struggled with this issue before? :rolleyes:

lindavdz, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  2. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not exactly sure what "domain potential means". It seams that most successful websites seldom have what I would consider to be great domain names. digitalpoint.com seams to be successfull, but the domain name doesn't really mean anything. It's a couple of words. It could have been digitalworld, digitalcircus, digitalfish, or binarypoint. You get the idea.

There may be exceptions, but a domain name isn't worth anything. It's the quality of site and number of backlinks that make a domain worth something. Unless you have immediate plans for constructing a site, I'd put $10 in my pocket and buy a similar domain name.

Just a thought.
    Brandon

brandondrury, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  3. romow

romow Peon

Best Answers:
    What's your domain?

romow, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  4. lindavdz

lindavdz Peon

Best Answers:
    lindavdz, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. Tough one to call. I'm not sure if 'imac' is a registered mark of any type. If it is, you may be in a precarious situation.

I'd ask for between $750 - $1500 or thereabouts. G5 obviously has a limited shelf life so be prepared to come and go with the price. You may even wish to think in the $500 - $1000 bracket for a quick sale.

PS - If they suggest you get an appraisal professionally done and you use such and such appraisal service, then it's a scam. You cough up for the appraisal and the buyer withdraws.

mcfox, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  6. lindavdz

lindavdz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice :)

lindavdz, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  7. Avatar

Best Answers:
    750-1000?, are you mad?

I doubt anyone would pay that much.
    I'd ask for $100 and if he decided to buy it, get another one for $8.88 (at namecheap)
    and Invest/have fun with the rest.

8. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    "imac g5" is the apple computer. The domain is set up for selling high price (decent commission) electricals. Bang a forum on it and you have a ready made audience, depending on what angle you're going to exploit the site from.

Ok, there isn't a website yet but come on, a website can be up and running in a couple of days if necessary. No biggie.

Take a rough figure of 10 months advertising / earnings revenue of between $50 - $100 per month and you get the figure I'm talking about.

If the domain had been less 'premium' I'd say you were correct with the $100 mark, but imac-g5.com is a product specific dot com within a loyal but relatively small consumer base where name is everything which therefore, in my opinion anyway, sets it apart as more premium than ordinary.
    :)

mcfox, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  9. lindavdz

lindavdz Peon

Best Answers:
    I replied to them this morning and have now gotten a reply back.

And yep, they're asking to get an appraisal professionally done giving me a link showing me some kind of page where 'people' recommend certain services............

Growl.

lindavdz, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  10. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! It may be a fraud. I've heard about it some time ago.
    The whole point is, If they really like the domain and are willing to get it, why don't they use that so called professional appraisal and then offer you a price.

Sunny, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    It's definitely a scam, a well known and often used one, imho.

mcfox, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  12. lindavdz

lindavdz Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah well, I'll just go on and built a website for it.

:D

lindavdz, Oct 30, 2005 IP