1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much time does it generally take to be included in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by latehorn, Oct 7, 2005.

?

Time to get submitted?

1. a few days

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. some weeks

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. months

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. two years or so

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
    For me it took a few months and I'm still not included :)
    But for those who are.. what time does it generally take?

latehorn, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  2. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    This has been posted a lot before on these forums. But for my first site it took 4 months and 1 month for my other site. Depends on how active the editor for your category is, how much competition, etc ... The only thing you can do is wait. 8(

sgthayes, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    between 1 day and never... Good luck

ServerUnion, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  4. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have listed lots of sites (inclding competitors) who were never submitted.

Birdie, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  5. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some many subjective variables in attempting to answer that, you'd be better off trying to figure out this problem while you wait for a real answer:

Find the equation of the line tangent to the ellipse b^2*x^2 + a^2*y^2 = a^2*b^2 in the first quadrant that forms with the coordinate axes the triangle of smallest possible area (a & b are positive constants).

wrmineo, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's not answering the OP's question, though, is it?

minstrel, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  7. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Your question shows that you don't understand DMOZ.
    Time to submit (we prefer to call it suggest) a site: a few minutes
    Time to get a site listed: it all depends when you start to count. It is impossible to calculate an average. This is caused by the fact that a large number of sites that get listed are never suggested. So they have a "wait" time of zero. On the other hand some sites will have to "wait" several years. And more than 50% of all suggested sites will never be listed.

pagode, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  8. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been waiting for nearly 10 months now. Just did a quick check and still nada

themetalpeddler, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  9. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the correct answer, so the actual time to get listed is infinity/2 - which is about as meaningfull as the question. It's like asking, how tall is a building?

Oh so true in most of the posts around here.

macdesign, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  10. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    it depends on SO many things - how active the editor is, how often a meta might visit that cat, if its in the right cat (if not, the editor has to send it to a more appropriate category, where it will still be waiting), how obvious it is that your site is good enough, isn't stealing content, is reliable; then there are still more factors that could slow an editor before he gets to your site: how many other categories he's editing, how many sites he has in his category (because an editor doesn't just add new sites - the Internet is a very volatile place and sites change ownership, crash, lose content, become irrelevant, become superseded by better ones, etc) - so a good editor makes sure his/her collection of links in that cat is as good and useful as possible. So often dealing with the existing links is in fact a better way to spend editing time, in terms of ROI.

Too many people here that have sites waiting or rejected take it personally and assume some kind of foul play. Truth is, the amount of time people like minstrel spend badmouthing something they have no understanding of, or exaggerating corruption and un-unsefulness of DMOZ, out of pure hatred since a site was rejected (or in this case, didn't get as keyword-stuffed a title or description as their SEO background would have wanted), that amount of time, if it was spent on a site that was rejected, could be all that it takes to make the site worthy of inclusion. Get your priorities straight, and stop assuming our priorities are selfish. That's patently untrue. If you have suspicions of abuse, file a detailed, polite report that is as helpful as you can make it, then let those responsible get on with their job. No need to spam them or go on a crusade around DP and associated forums to try and push things forward.

bradley, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As with your post in another thread, you assume that my speaking out against DMOZ is because my sites have been rejected. In fact, that's false.

In various contexts, I speak out against other things I see as wrong (violence against women and children, underfunding of social programs for the needy and underprivileged, for example) that do not necessarily impact on me personally or directly. Your assumption that only those who have a personal axe to grind would criticize DMOZ is one (but only one) of the things wrong with DMOZ. It's narrow-minded, short-sighted, and arrogant... which pretty much describes many of the most public editors at DMOZ, doesn't it?

minstrel, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Trying to steer clear of the personal attacks....

I would like to suggest that time to get a site reviewed in the ODP depends more on where in the directory the site belongs (note, I didn't say "was submitted") than who the active editors are.

There are parts of the directory which get a lot of interest from the volunteers - this might be because of the preponderance of quality sites, or the lack of submission spam. Sites here will tend to get reviewed relatively quickly (a few weeks or months)

There are also areas of the directory known for really long review times - a lot of categories in the Shopping tree, but also Web Design, SEO and Personal Homepages and the like are really lacking in editor energy.

Statements about the quality of the listings in the ODP can only be sweeping statements if they try to characterise the whole of the directory - I think there are very well-tended areas of the directory that have a lot of very relevant, current sites - they can provide better results for a surfer than any automation search engine could dream of.

Alucard, Oct 10, 2005 IP
    wrmineo and minstrel like this.
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Thank you, Alucard. One of the things I admire about you is that, unlike the RZ breed of editors, you do NOT go directly to personal attack. You have repeatedly on this forum shown a willingness to actually discuss the issues. Your open-mindedness is a refreshing change from the RZ mentality.

minstrel, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  14. arounddelhi

arounddelhi Peon

Best Answers:
    I got listed in 3 months,then got kicked out and came back again, nothing can be mor unpredictable.
    Anand

arounddelhi, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  15. Steve_AmericanCell

Steve_AmericanCell Peon

Best Answers:
    :) We have a pretty decent site with good traffic and rich content.
    I have tried signing up a few times with no results.

Steve_AmericanCell, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  16. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice of you to point that out Minstrel. I too have a lot of respect for Alucard - not one to play the juvenile ego card.

I also admire your ability to play devil's advocate without getting personal - well done!

It is professionally minded people like the two of you, and others of course, that make DP a place worthy of one's time for some education, sharing and fun.

wrmineo, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  17. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:

HA! I laughed out loud when I read that. That looks similar to the never ending Calculus classes I had to take in college. Funny post... :D

MattEvers, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  18. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    in my experience is months.. i submitted my new site today, lets see if it shows up... (probably not cause i submitted it to a PR7 listing :p )

Seiya, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  19. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have listed a site within 1 minute of it being suggested, and listed others that have been waiting since 1999. And everything inbetween. It is completely random and unpredictable. Where an editor was active yesterday may not see another editor for a year or more. A category not looked at for a year or more may be completely cleared tomorrow.

Alucard points out areas with traditionally long lead times before a site will be reviewed. Added to this is an increasing tendency to make submission pools in areas high in spam sites a low priority and find sites from more productive sources. And even when using submission pools there are very few if any editors left who review in the order sites were submitted.

So, the original question doesn't have an answer and it is because estimates used to raise expectations that editors stopped making them.

brizzie, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  20. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Most editors don't have a clue what the PR is of any category and it plays no part in the decision making process.

brizzie, Oct 30, 2005 IP