1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much time does DMOZ take to approve site listing?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jiten702, Jun 23, 2010.

Hi all......

It's been more than 8 weeks that I have submitted my site to DMOZ but still can't find listing of my site. It is written in their rules that depending on the activity level of the editors in respective category area, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed. When can we expect the listing to be confirmed?

jiten702, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  2. mattysheff

mattysheff Member

Best Answers:
    Mine took about 6 months.

mattysheff, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The operative phrase is or more. The work isn't scheduled and so listing time scales are pretty random - a few days to a few years.
    You can't.

jimnoble, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  4. v2interactive

v2interactive Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted my site (which I believe is very high quality and very respectable) about 6 months ago and still haven't seen anything. Our company 'sister' site is linked on DMOZ but not our main site. What a bummer - I hate waiting :(

v2interactive, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If the sister site is using the same 'content' as the main site, you can likely expect your main site to NEVER make it in.

Qryztufre, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  6. v2interactive

v2interactive Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it's not. Similar, but not the same. Think of it as one site being analog and the other digital... if that makes any sense

7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If an editor can copy a random sentence from one, put "quotes" around it and then find it through a google search, then the that counts as duplicate content. There are some editors that can take this to the extreme actually looking for spun content... not saying this IS what's happening, just saying it could be.

8. v2interactive

v2interactive Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, got cha. Well, bummer - I guess I'll just move on *tear* thanks for the heads up though!

9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    YES! Move on! Best thing that can be done anyway.

The reasons to NOT be listed far out number the reasons TO be listed, so if you are going to bother submitting, then the next step should be moving on (maybe to the next free directory, there are hundreds, each one as worthy as the ODP)... Promoting your site by other methods is also a great thing to do once you've moved on. Get top SERP and great PR outside of DMOZ, it's certainly possible, as many have done it.

10. dsgehl

dsgehl Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally depends on the editor... I have had categories approved in weeks... some never get approved even though they are relevant sites because the editor has just quit.

dsgehl, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Which editor would that be? Every category has hundreds of editors have they all quit?

Anonymously, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it certainly seems that way... and to think, every category has HUNDREDS of editors, yet it still takes over a year for some categories to update.

Saying that every cat has hundreds of editors is more then misleading. Yes, hundreds have access, but how many of those hundreds actually edit in EVERY category? If they all looked in every category the suggestion pool would likely start processing like a nice and orderly queue and in within a reasonable timeframe.

13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Yes every category has hundreds of editors, an editor being someone who can edit and hundreds can edit in every category. That they choose not to edit in any particular category is up to the editor concerned in the same way that it is up to the individual editor to choose to edit in any particular category. Editing in any particular category does not necessarily affect the suggestions pool at all as the editor may also choose not to use the suggestions pool as their resource.

The op complained that the editor left, I asked which one of the hundreds of editors who have privileges to edit in that category was s/he referring to. A named editor does not imply that the editor named is the only editor who can work there or who in fact does work there. Many categories have named editors and it is other editors who spend thier time in that category. How would anyone know that the non named editor had left as there is no indication to non-editors, like yourself, that they had been there in the first place?

Anonymously, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

You mean like the both of us! At least I was an editor! Remember that the next time you point such a finger in my general direction!

And it's still misleading to say that each category has hundreds of editors, as that is far different then saying hundreds of editors have access to any category. The way you were saying it implied that each of those hundreds of editors actually looked over EACH and EVERY category, and as it's completely obvious that is NOT the case.

15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats right......you did about 6 edits i believe :) I must have blinked and missed you :)

snooks, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry that you want to put words into my mouth, Q. I did not say that or imply that.

The principal is important for those who look for an editor being named in a category and believe that if there is no named editor the category does not have an editor or that a named editor means they are the only editor for that category. Editors are given the right to edit in certain categories, that limit is defined by where their name appears and an editor has those rights in every sub category down the tree. Many editors, as I have shown to you, are very highly listed in a branch and are editors in every category below them. In all cases which category an editor actually works in is at the discretion and choice of that individual editor within the limits set by the directory. Editall+ editors must be named in one category, but only need to be named in one but have editing rights in every category in the directory. It is also entirely up to that individual editor where, when and what resource they use when editing.

Every category has hundreds of editors but some will by choice work there, some by choice will not work there and sometimes a category may go for a period with none of the editors who have editing privileges in the category actually exercising those privileges. Not exercising privileges in this way does not in any sense imply that the editor does not have them or has them any less than an editor who does exercise those privileges.

Anonymously, Jun 24, 2010 IP
  17. .TIEU

.TIEU Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ approval takes a while as many have already stated. I wouldn't depend on it, only one of the websites I've ever submitted made it in and it took almost a year.

.TIEU, Jun 24, 2010 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    R.I.G.H.T. I must be mistaken!

yes, which is FAR more then Anonymously has edited!

My profile: http://www.dmoz.org/profiles/qryztufre.html which is a valid link :D can Anonymously say the same? I'm continuously told to back up every claim I make here... it's only fair that supposed editors do the same!

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2010 IP