1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how much ram/cores for 60,000 visitors daily

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by prince_of_persia, Mar 12, 2015.

Hi
    I am planning to buy cloud hosting and was wondering how much ram and how many cores do I require for a wordpress website, which provide downloadable content.
    Also what would you guys would prefer, runabove or digitalcloud?
    Regards

prince_of_persia, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  2. TheMostCreative

TheMostCreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For such website I would recommen you get a VPS, a shared hosting wouldn't handle 60k visitors a day.

TheMostCreative, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  3. prince_of_persia

prince_of_persia Member

Best Answers:
    cloud hosing is shared?

prince_of_persia, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  4. TheMostCreative

TheMostCreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is shared, vps and dedi just like normal.

TheMostCreative, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  5. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    60k visitors daily requires at least 4GB RAM to handle it.
    We should care how much visitors online on the same time!

Hostname.club, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  6. Smaaz

Smaaz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Get yourself a $10 linode.com package and a free cloudflair.com account and you should be fine.

Smaaz, Mar 15, 2015 IP
  7. Vaibhav Rajput

Vaibhav Rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can but 10-20$ DigitalOcean cloud hosting with Nginx as Web server also with Ngx_pagespeed module.This will handle lot of traffic.Also if possible install Varnish Cache.Check this article about DigitalOcean (http://reviewsignal.com/blog/2014/06/25/40-million-hits-a-day-on-wordpress-using-a-10-vps/).Also if you need an article about installing nginx with ngx_pagespeed module you can follow this http://www.thegeekbyte.com/linux/3991/how-to-install-ngx_pagespeed-with-nginx-on-ubuntu/.

Vaibhav Rajput, Apr 9, 2015 IP
  8. Kingfish85

Kingfish85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, some of the replies here.....

To give a good answer, we need to know what your current resource usage is. When you say "cloud" what do you mean by cloud, what are you trying to accomplish & what do you think the benefit of cloud is? To be fair, the term cloud is going to vary vastly from provider to provider.

On another note, "traffic" doesn't equate to anything really in terms of performance - you need some hard metrics on what type of resources you're using. For example, you can have all the RAM & CPU in the world however, it disk I/O is a problem, then that RAM & CPU isn't going to do much for slow disks. The same goes the other way around.

Kingfish85, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  9. webhostingtrack

webhostingtrack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually the only one who can precisely answer this questions is you.

Based on your provided info I think you better go with a provider who offer good bandwidth and fast storage.

I suggest you start with minimal setup - one core and 2GB RAM and SSD storage depend on your needs.

Start with a provider who allows you to scale up easily without interruption or downtime, Then watch your graphs and the answers would be right there, increase ONLY the type of resource you need not from package to another higher tier.

Keep in mind, One Single dedicated core can equal few of shared ones and a decent core can do a lot with good amount of memory and stable application.

That's just my opinion though...

webhostingtrack, Apr 12, 2015 IP
  10. winnervps

winnervps Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on my expriences.
    You need at least (It is not important whether it is a VPS or dedicated or just a hosting environment, you need not just a typical spec of a hosted server, but an environment of):
    1. 8 GB RAM (4 GB would be sufficient, but it'll be suffered from the 'caching' feature. I'll explain later)
    2. 4 vCPU. For high traffics, the cores are very important (this is a must)
    3. HDD space, I believe this is not necessarily impact the performance. But you need a good 'dedicated' environment with a good HDD technology. an Enterprise HDD, such as SSD would be a better choice (SAS would be good either).
    4. Nginix + Varnsih or Litespeed + Varnish (this is a must). You can't use standard HTTP/Apache. You cannot go wrong with this 'caching' technoloy with traffic above 20k visitors a day (even this forum -digitalpoint use nginx ;))
    5. Protection. You need this. Use cloudflare for beginner (as it is free). DDoS attack will be the hardest part later on.

winnervps, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  11. yougottohaveit

yougottohaveit Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Word Press website normal shared hosting would be sufficient

yougottohaveit, May 2, 2015 IP
  12. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    With this kind of traffic, going to Dedicated Server is right way!
    Default type of X3xxx servers with 8 cores and at least 8GB RAM can handle it perfectly.

Hostname.club, May 4, 2015 IP