1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ibnuasad, Jul 18, 2006.

Ok, I have just started a website. I have posted in a few forums that I need a moderator and promoter for my forum.

Currently I have about 4 candidates....all of them has experience in moderating a forum.

Here is what I want to know:
    - Usually, how many mods does a new forum need?
    - Should I pay them or should I see their well behaviour first and then pay them?
    - Anyone else that is interested to join?

Forum URL: http://forum.networldtalk.net

ibnuasad, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  2. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless its a corperate website, I don't think you'd need to pay your Mods.

I'd say around 1 mod for each 20 users.

shamess, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  3. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

anyone's who is too eager to become an admin/mod in a forum is probably in for the short term... so you need to choose carefully. i'd go with 1 mod first and take it from there. btw, it's going to be difficult convincing people to work without certainty of getting paid... ;)

daboss, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  4. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    you must be joking... you're saying a site with 1000 members require 50 mods?

daboss, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  5. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Umm... yeah, that is a bit much...

Just get Mods as they are needed ^^;;

shamess, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Just for fun, your ratio would also mean this forum would need 750 Mods :eek:

I don't think the OP even needs any Mods. Add a reporting system and check the forum once a day for Spam. YOu really don't need to hire someone when you only have a couple of posts aday

yfs1, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  7. ibnuasad

ibnuasad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, none of them are asking for money :)

Its gonna be a hard decision for me to make...ok..I'll pick 1 candidate...I'll tell the others that once I need more mods...I'll contact them :)

ibnuasad, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  8. PashaM

PashaM Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless this forum will be super busy, i dont see why you even need a mod there. So far i only see just a few people registered and even fiewer posters. I have a small forum and no mods, just me as admin. Oh and if you can pay, i can be your mod :)

PashaM, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  9. buck

buck Peon

Best Answers:
    depends what kind of shady ass forum your running if your running something that will attract trash, get a few moderators (u dont need per 20 thats retarded)
    -no do not pay them
    -don't make them a mod instantly make sure u can trust them

and btw i run 2 seperate forums 1 with 11,000 members 0 moderators no problems im only admin, 2nd forum is 12,000 members 1 other admin and 1 moderator, just depends what your running though

buck, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  10. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no magic number for the number of moderators that you need...The number will be unique for every forum - one forum owner will need more mods than another because he/she doesn't have as much time available to monitor the forums.

My suggestion is to start out with 0 mods...as you find that you are not able to monitor all members in posts in a reasonable period of time, then you need another mod...if the two of you can't handle the members and posts, then get another mod...and so on. There is no special formula (x mods for x members or x mods for x posts)

GTAce, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  11. ibnuasad

ibnuasad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, so far I have only taken 2 more admins...coz I am concentrating on marketing.

Ok, now that the management is done...What should I do to attract new members? I submit my site to several directories hoping that someone will find my site...

There are a lot of competition nowadays...what should I do? Could anyone give me some advice:confused:

ibnuasad, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  12. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ok, so your basically saying that a site that has 15,000 users needs over 1000 moderators? I mean, come on dude, think about what your saying here.

scylla, Jul 28, 2006 IP