1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is stupidity worth?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Johnburk, Dec 29, 2005.

A pharmacy company recently released a new product that will revolutionize weight loss. This product is going to be promoted on Oprah.

What they did not do is register its trademark or domain name. I did :D

I contacted a lawyer and he says that they have a weak case if they want to take me to court. So the pharmacy company has offered to buy the domain. They want me to come with a offer and I have no clue how much to ask.

So how much do you think such a domain would be worth (to them)?

Johnburk, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  2. itexpress

itexpress Guest

Best Answers:
    You would charge a little bit less than it would cost them to find a new brand name.

At least if it was me (the pharmacy company) thats what I would be thinking.

Andy

itexpress, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  3. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing is for certain, stupidity really should cost them.

Hopefully one day we'll all enjoy the story about the domain turned brand and what it was worth.

It is not an easy thing to put a pricetag on. You have to balance greed and risk of them moving along with plan B (the change of brand name).

A 101 in trading has allways - as far as I know - been to let the opponent begin the pricing.

Maybe you should buy time by throwing the ball back on their court for starters? If they want to buy it they must have an idea what they can afford. That might just be more than you anticipated.

miko67, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  4. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    This is how I calculate it:

This pill is going to be huge, because it will be on Oprah. So I would expect a lot of people searching for the name of directly typing the domain.

Weight loss products are high paying in adsense. So based on that and other advertisement on my page. I have no clue how much it would cost them to change the brand. I do know how my financial position is (as a student).

How much would 12.500 sound?

5. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    Great catch, i also got one of the domains and i got a site in the SE's listed in the top 5 for the keywords.

eiso, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  6. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My guess would have been somewhere between $10,000 and $50,000, so I don't think you're way off :)

Maybe it's in the low end, but as I stated earlier this is a matter of striking a fine balance.

miko67, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Too cheap. Remember to ask for a higher price than you want. It's to be expected in this type of situation.

What to actually and reasonably hope to get for the domain is something of a game of brinkmanship. Obviously, if you ask for too high a figure, they will decide to go with a cheaper option which is probably rebranding. Go too cheap and you swizz yourself out of some cash.

Personally, I would say that if they are already using the name and have printed up all of the labels, merchandising, etc., etc., then their re-branding costs would probably be in the $25k - $50k range, so you may want to base your price on a figure that makes buying the domain from you an attractive proposition.

If you want to play it safe, remember you only stumbled onto something they have worked hard on already and made a simple mistake. The lower your price, the more chance there is of it being a very straightforward deal.

mcfox, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  8. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hehehe.. Now what exacly is your advice here? Should he go high or low? Or maybe both :confused:

I will repeat my first point: Try to get them to make an opening statement (price offer), then take it from there.

Just like they will expect you to aim too high you will expect them to aim too low, but lets say they offer you $15,000 to start with, it's a lot more fun than if you started by offering $12,500.

miko67, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Well, without knowing the specifics I can only give a guesstimate. I would begin at $25k and see what develops.

mcfox, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  10. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    It will cost them between 8.000 and 16.000 to take me to court.

Re branding will cost them a lot more, yet if I ask huge amounts, they will play it hard.

I searched the internet and there have been a lot of cases where people got between 5K and 25K for a domain name. I also found a lot of examples of people asking huge amounts like 200K to 1.000K and ending up with nothing!

11. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can get the highest out of them if you play smart.

What you need is to know how much are they ready to offer.

I would try to ask some related and unrelated questions to try to get any amount out of them, or just try to prepare them for a huge amount, before you tell them how much exactly you want.

good luck, Michael

DomainMagnate, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  12. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Silly prices will get you nothing, that's for sure.

A word of advice ... put up a page or two using the domain name. The subject can be anythiing you like although preferably not pharma. You then have some bargaining power should they try to wrestle the domain from you using the ICANN disputed domain service.

By agreeing to sell, it could be argued that you only purchased the domain in order to hold it to 'ransom'.

mcfox, Dec 29, 2005 IP
    wrmineo and Johnburk like this.
  13. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    As addition to mcFox's reply: When you put up a page make it non related to their product, use the term for a webdesign company or something.

eiso, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  14. stumpyPete

stumpyPete Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, these "idiots" may have dropped the ball on the trademark and domain name, but they were smart enough to get their product on Oprah. If you start getting greedy, you may end up in a battle that's over your head.

Also keep in mind that if you get sued, you'll have legal fees as well... even squatters have to pay to play ;)

stumpyPete, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  15. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advise.

I have already put the site online with information that has nothing to do with their site. I did not buy the site to sell it. But to setup an independent information site about pharmacy products (including theirs) and make money from the ads.

They contacted me, that they want to buy it, before I had the chance to put it online.

16. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    This is strike one against you

This is strike two. If you write back and ask for any amount of money for the domain, that will be strike three and you can kiss your "lottery ticket" goodbye. You will lose any/every URDP or trademark filing that they care to throw at you.

Caveman, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  17. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    :( but they asked me to give them a price, because they wanted to buy :(

Plus that their name has not been registerd, used before and has no trademark

Johnburk, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  18. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. When you give them that $50k price, they will use that against you to show you registered it with the intention to sell it back to them, which helps to show bad faith.

This is what you will be asked to prove in a WIPO/UDRP hearing:

Caveman, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  19. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the information. This is a local domain.

Johnburk, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  20. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean a country code like .nl?

eiso, Dec 31, 2005 IP