1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much do you worry about firefox or netscape?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by SportsOutlaw, Feb 26, 2005.

1. dirvish

dirvish Peon

Best Answers:
    If things look different in IE than they do in Firefox chances are that it is because there is something in your site that is against web standards. Check your site with the validators at w3.org, they'll show you what non-standard code you are using. Clear up the most glaring standard-deviations and you might find that your site looks more similar across multiple browsers.

dirvish, Mar 13, 2005 IP
  2. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Never use "web standards" and "IE" in the same sentance. The two have nothing to do with each other. I use FF and validate all my html to XHTML 1.0 Strict. Once I have that I go to IE. Without fail the page will look completely WRONG In IE. Sometimes I have to choose between having the page look right in IE and validating correctly. I'm not real thrilled about all the extra hours of work it takes to make the page look right in IE AND still validate, if that's even possible. This is especially true with CSS and style commands. Microsoft Internet Explorer is NOT compliant, please stop telling people that if they validate their code everything will be ok.

IE needs for things to be just exactly so in order to work properly, at least from a CSS perspective, and it may, or may not, comply with the w3 standards. IE is garbage. We should all stop using it, and stop checking our sites in it. When half the web looks like crap to them, people will get the message. Either MS will make a compliant browser, or people will just stop using it. And while we're at it, someone might want to point out to all those windows hosting companies that there is a version of Apache for windows and it works great. Might also want to point out that things like PHP, MySQL, Perl, and many other things that normal people use on the internet are also available to them. They don't have to use the crap that microsoft gives them with their server. At least not to the exclusion of standard things that all web servers should have. In fact, I ask you, if a server doesn't have Perl and/or PHP on it, is it really a web server? I don't think so.

nfzgrld, Mar 17, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  3. dirvish

dirvish Peon

Best Answers:

I agree with almost all of what you say. I still maintain that standards compliance is the best place to start from (not that it will make all of your troubles go away). If you then have to tweak things out to make IE happy then so be it; it still has ~90% usage so even though we hate it we are kinda stuck with it.

dirvish, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  4. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    On my website I have about 25% more Firefox visitors then IE visitors. So Firefox is very important for me. And the amount of firefox visitors seems to keep growing larger.

JoeO, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  5. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PIMP MY FIREFOX
    Netscape 8 beta donload here. Works well here.
    browser.netscape.com/nsb/

Arnie, Mar 20, 2005 IP