1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much do you charge for a long form sales letter?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by reachforthesky, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you need done. I don't like taking advantage of people, ripping them off, so I'd probably charge no more than $100.

Perry Rose, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not "ripping people off" to charge $1000+ for a sales letter that generates $100,000 in sales. When it comes to sales letters, how much someone spends can have a direct correlation to how much they make, because top copywriters with strong conversion records don't write sales letters on the cheap. If they're looking to make a lot of money with that sales letter, hiring amateurs or those not knowing how the sales letter process works isn't smart (and I'm not saying that because I write them... I no longer write the kind most people here think of... but I do know a few professionals specializing in them, and you'll never get a top notch sales letter writer for $100).

jhmattern, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  3. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you know that it will generate $100,00 in sales, dollface?

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. That's the bottom line. I'm very good at what I do, but I can't predict the future.

Now, if it is a big site, and they offer it to me, shit, I'll take it! :) Other than that, no way am I going to charge that kind of money!

That's a great way to lose a lot of business with A LOT of the small guys, and they add up much more than just a few of the big ones.

Perry Rose, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  4. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dear lord!

You guys are very expensive.

I only charge 30 bucks

... and a "small" bonus depending on how well the copy converts.

Seriously though, when I charged a flat fee, 140-200$ was my range. With my performance based fee I get around 250-300$, sometimes a bit more. I guess that still makes me cheap. Oh well, someone must write the copy for all those affiliate pages. I'm now trying JV's, but these haven't paid anything yet as the websites are still in development.

Regards, George

P.S. Please don't PM about JV's, I only do this sort of business with people that I trust.

geegel, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really want to say WHY professional copywriters don't charge pennies for a sales letter, but I just don't care.

Waste of time really. :)

Hell, the beautiful thing about writing sales letters is they can be tracked. A company can send out my sales letter and end up saying (simplified version):

"It cost us $X for your services and we brought in $Y. You've made us money."

The better you are, the more companies will want to pay you. You'll become their money machine.

marketjunction, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Perry... it was an example. I wasn't saying that's the case every time. Good sales letter writers don't just charge an up front fee. They'll generally charge a base fee plus something on more of a "commission" level based on the actual results. It's results-oriented writing. Like Jason said though, it really is a waste of time discussing it. If you're happy writing in the league you're in, more power to you, and great for your lower-budget clients. The point is that that's simply not how most pros do it in that specialty, and like with any other type of service, a few high budget gigs will always be better than a lot of low-paying gigs to earn the same (same money with more time spent instead of investing it elsewhere in your own business).

jhmattern, Jan 27, 2008 IP