1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much Bandwidth does video chat uses?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by CashCowBoy, Jan 15, 2008.

Can you tell me how much bandwidth does video chat uses? I was talking with a host admin. He said that he does not know but it seems to be a bandwidth drinker.

What do you say?

CashCowBoy, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  2. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm..bandwidth refers to the amount of data needed to be transfered to the viewer's computer from the server. So if I am right, and there are people here to correct me, then it depends on how large your video is. If it is a 1mg video then each person who views it will be using 1mg of your bandwidth.

uniqueasitis, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  3. mwzd

mwzd Member

Best Answers:
    You'll need a dedicated server for even the most basic of video chat / cam sites.

B/w would be a function of users x time x Mb

good luck

mwzd, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  4. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the display is a standard 320X240 at high quality and the video is able to sustain 30 FPS you're using roughly 875KB per-second one way for the picture alone.

joebert, Jan 15, 2008 IP