1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many words and pages is a good ebook?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ScottHughes, Nov 5, 2007.

I apologize if this question has already been asked or if this is the wrong category, but I couldn't find the answer and this seems like the best category to me.

How many pages does a good ebook usually have? How many words per page?

I'm going to create a few ebooks, and I just want to make sure they aren't too long or too short. A page measurement is not the only measurement I need, because different text-sizes and fonts will cause the page count to be different. So, I also need to know a good word length for an ebook. If you know what text-sizes and fonts are usually used that would help.

Thanks,
    Scott

ScottHughes, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There's no correct answer to that. You can find them at around 10 pages (more of a long report), and as long as 200 pages. You just have to know your target readers and your niche. That's what's going to determine the best length (their attention span, the depth of the material, etc.). As for font sizes, 12-14 at most is what I'd suggest - I usually go with arial, but verdana is another option that works.

jhmattern, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's complete when your subject has been properly covered.

All word and page counts do is tempt you to not write in a concise manner.

Writing an e-book about building a time machine will probably be longer than one about how to download a song from iTunes.

marketjunction, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  4. ScottHughes

ScottHughes Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but nobody would make an ebook about those two topics. The first would be too long, and the second would be to short. Instead, you might make the first topic more specific (e.g. first thoughts in trying to start building a time machine) and make the second more general (e.g. ways to download music online).

Thanks,
    Scott

ScottHughes, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was an example to illustrate the difference in content needed between two randomly selected topics.

And I believe I've seen an e-book or two about using iTunes.

marketjunction, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  6. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Short is sweet IMO.

I have a really poor attention span, so don't expect my readers to have a good one :)

7. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, like marketjunction said, you need to write enough to cover your topic. No more, no less. If you try to meet an arbitrary word count, you'll either leave some things out trying to make the ebook short enough or you'll cover too much information trying to make it long enough. Neither is good.

I always start with an outline and estimate how many pages it will take to cover each section.

If you're not sure whether you've covered enough information, have the ebook reviewed before you release.

latoya, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  8. deepower

deepower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most hard copy book contracts from commercial publishers specify a word count. The contract is awarded based on a book proposal. The proposal includes an outline of the book, chapter by chapter. Each chapter has at least a paragraph describing what will be included.

Print books range from about 50,000 words to 90,000 words. The page count is determined by the format of the finished book, hardcover, trade paperback or mass market and the type and size of the font. Since paper isn't free most publishers use the smallest font they can get away with and still be readable.

From my research most ebooks are substantially shorter than 50,000 words. That would translate into about 100 to 120 pages times new roman 12 pt.

Dee

deepower, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  9. RickNHS

RickNHS Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with most who said to write enough to cover the message you want to convey. If you want to be precise and to the point about the document's purpose... keep it short. If you wish to elaborate on the topics... do so! Just ensure that your message is received! Good luck!

RickNHS, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  10. Espired

Espired Peon

Best Answers:
    Cut out the fluff and just provide good solid practical advice and everybody will love you.

It's just hard to charge $47 for 10 pages ;-) and I guess that is why people bulk it up to 50 pages etc.

Sincerely,

Paul Kleinmeulman
    Australia

Espired, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  11. KenYN

KenYN Peon

Best Answers:
    What about the PowerPoint-style? A professional company in my niche sells 200 page ebooks/reports for $2000 or so for a site licence, and judging from the samples on their web page they are all landscaped PowerPoint slides dumped to PDF, and 50 words per page is just about the maximum they do...

I've never seen any blogging or internet marketing ebooks try that style.

KenYN, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  12. dervish99

dervish99 Peon

Best Answers:
    This may sound very silly but what exactly is a page?

I have a book which needs conversion, when somebody tells me they charge X amount for a X pages, what sort of page are they referring to, A4, A5.

Sorry if this is a stupid question?

Adam

dervish99, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  13. Writer

Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a very old thread you've revived, dervish99. I think you should create a thread of your own for your question.

Writer, Jun 8, 2011 IP