1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many times a week does your browser gets hijacked?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by EWD, Apr 1, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: you made it to green, latehorn! :eek: :eek:

minstrel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  2. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    Not absolute and utter crap. It happens. It happened to me. The system had Windows Update run the previous night. It was quite secure.

If this didn't happen to people, m$:)D) would never have to release security updates, now would they?

Anyways, what is the cause for your fanatical defence of window? Are you Bill Gates in disguise or something? You have to admit - it definately does have it's security issues.

Oh, and Minstrel - Windoze, WiNdOzE, wind0ze, eat me!:D

Caydel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If that is your definition of "secure", I can see why you had problems. What about antivirus, antispyware, a firewall? [Hint]

You're surely not suggesting that Firefox, Linux, MAC, etc., do NOT release security updates, I hope...

"fanatical defence" is an interesting term in the context of your posts. Where do you see me saying that one should not use AV, firewalls, antispyware, etc., on Windows? My point, here and elsewhere, has always been that when people make claims suggesting that if they just install Firefox (or Linux, or {insert OS or browser of your choice here}) all of their security worries will vanish they are doing a huge disservice not only to end users but to the developers of those browsers or operating systems - and to the rest of us who will have our ISPs and email servers clogged when an infected computer starts broadcasting spam or DDoS attacks.

How mature... :rolleyes:

minstrel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  4. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    For me personally, (you may be different) Right when I get a new computer or after a reformat, I install AVG anti virus, and Zone Alarm Personal firewall. I then install Firefox as my default browser with the google toolbar (has a pop up blocker and shows PR so I like it) After doing this I get 0 pop up and virus's. This combo works for me, there are 1000's of other programs, that will work just as well. I suggest just figuring out what will work for you. I like my system because I dont have to pay for any of the software.

CedarCity, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  5. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    I use IE and firfox, never got hijacked, use some adware to remove it and keep it running, it would help your system keep clean.

I use a combination of AVG, ZoneAlarm, Windows Firewall, SPF and Sybot S&D, never had any sort of problem.

SumitBahl, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  6. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. so the underlining statement is..... to get rid of hijacking...

:)

Read this thread ! :) thanks

EWD, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  7. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it had antivirus, anti-spyware the whole works. That geos without saying.

Firefox, Linux, and Mac do release security updates. The thing is, when there is a major flaw in Linux, it is usually patched within 24 hours, sometimes less. Microsoft is *never* that fast. And for them, there are almost *never* any holes with the kind of severity we have come to expect from Microsoft.

As far as fanatical defence goes, claiming that windows even with all the antivirus, antispyware crap etc. is even reasonably secure, well, that is a farce.

I look at it this way - ever since I have gone to Linux, I have not had my browser hijacked. I have not had any spyware install itself. I have never had any problems. There has been 1 - count that! - 1 virus found in the wild for Linux, and that only affected a version of the Linux kernel which is 3 years out of date.

Regardless of anything you have ever said about Windows, statistically, Linux is more stable and secure an operating system. There is a reason it is slowly taking market share away from Windows.

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with Linux?

Caydel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Then you are doing something else terribly wrong - assuming it ever happened - frankly I don't believe you.

minstrel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  9. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you are free to disbelieve me if you wish.

Caydel, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  10. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm I think we're not agreeing on what a clean installation is, and I think most people agree with me (or I agree with them) See here and here. :)

exam, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  11. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the times this kind of problem occurs if I visit some shady sites. I guess :(

EWD, Apr 2, 2006 IP