1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many programming languages do you know?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by SEOsocialFollowers, Oct 22, 2012.

How many languages do consider yourself to be an intermediate level? Which ones?

SEOsocialFollowers, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  2. sharmaseo

sharmaseo Peon

Best Answers:
    i know only java

sharmaseo, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  3. henrycarpenter03

henrycarpenter03 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actionscript, Visual Basic anfd PHP

henrycarpenter03, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  4. nveid

nveid Peon

Best Answers:
    Think I'm somewhat intermediate compared to some real experts.. I've been programming for about 20 years, :p... I know many BASIC variants, fortran, pascal, php, perl, java, python, ruby, javascript, many templating languages, C, C++, Objective C, shell scripting(zsh, bash, tcsh), lisp, lua, & actionscript.. I know, I know, I have much more to learn. :)

nveid, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  5. jenyfarlopej

jenyfarlopej Member

Best Answers:
    I know about 2 language only c++ and PHP.
    I want to know about more programming language.

jenyfarlopej, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  6. isha189

isha189 Member

Best Answers:
    Familiar with Python, C, Java and have a some touch with C++, C#, PHP, VB.NET, COBOL.....

isha189, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  7. rome2213

rome2213 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know PHP, VBScript, Actionscript. I've done some programming in Java, C, Python and a few others. I think it's important to pick one language and become as proficient as possible. The fundamentals of programming carry over to almost any language.

rome2213, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  8. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BASIC of various sorts, fortran, pascal, php, javascript, C, C++, SQL, assembly for various CPUs, Forth, tcl and probably a few I'm forgetting (and many that I've forgotten).

Rukbat, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which is the proper attitude for any programmer. The day you stop learning is the day the world leaves you behind so far as any IT field goes... since 3 years is obsolete and 5 years is the scrap heap.

Me, I've been at this for a little over three decades now -- I know machine language (hand compiling instead of assembly) for the RCA 1802 and Z80, reasonably fluent at x86 assembly language, and run the gamut of higher level languages as well. BASIC, Pascal, Modula 2/Oberon 3, Eiffel, C, C++, PHP, Javascript... and some older/out of use languages like Paradox script, clipper, DiBol, Cobol, Fortran, Forth (WORST LANGUAGE EVAR!!! Makes Ruby look good! RPN this!), etc, etc...

Right now I'm teaching myself AVR assembly for a project involving a Teensy++, and a refresher in 6502 machine language for porting my pac-man ripoff to the Commodore 64... which is quite a challenge to take something written for a 16 bit computer with 256K of RAM and 16k of dedicated video memory, and squeeze it into a 8 bit machine with less than 35k of usable RAM once you map out your needed video memory. More of a challenge since back in the day I was a TRS-80 and IBM guy -- never even saw an Apple in person until high school (NOBODY I knew owned one and noplace within 200 miles sold them to my knowledge) -- and with the Commodore's I had a VIC-20 for a few months before I got a HeathKit PC clone. My time programming assembly for the 6502 processor to date probably totals under five weeks... and four of that is the past month.

I really think more coders need to take the time to learn low level languages just to write better code -- knowing that most C compilers for example have to use twice as much code and around 50% slower for t++; as opposed to ++t; is a bit of knowledge you'd never pick up on modern systems. Or how 'for' is grossly inefficient in terms of how processors actually work, and in many cases:

for (t=0; t<6; t++) {
    // do something
    }

Code (markup):
    can be twice the code and half the speed of:

t=0;
    do {
    // something
    } while (++t < 6);

Code (markup):
    In my experience anything based on tinyC from the old BYTE magazine, which even includes the massive GCC -- suffers from this -- particularly on x86, less so on ARM... though that treads into the CISC vs. RISC debate -- where CISC chips are made for people who write programs, RISC is built for people who write compilers. It's REALLY pronounced on 8 bit targets like AVR... and even CC65, a 6502 cross compiler sees massive benefits in speed and code size just by using pre-increment operators and DO/WHILE instead of FOR... Though that goes back to something I've said for ages -- C is NOT closer to machine language than Pascal. Quite the opposite in fact since you'll rarely see pascal programmers use WHILE, they'll use REPEAT/UNTIL, the same thing as DO/WHILE.

The knowledge of low-level can help you make rational choices even when in a high level language -- even the interpreted ones. Take PHP, where single quotes are 3 to 5% faster than double quotes in PHP -- since single quotes don't have to look for as many tokens (that's just common sense) -- or that comma delimits instead of string addition on echo lowers the memory footprint. (since it doesn't have to built up and store the result thrashing around on the stack before sending the data to the command)

Though of course you always get the lazy sleazeballs who will kneejerk into calling such things 'premature optimization' -- it's not premature to learn the ins and outs of the language and target to just plain write better, leaner and faster code. Such claims usually made by inexperienced twits who couldn't code their way out of a piss soaked paper bag with a hole in the bottom... which unfortunately describes 90% of the people making forum and CMS software these days. A real laugh when they call things like not hitting shift to get a single quote instead of a double or sliding their finger over the half inch to the comma be 'more work' -- then they spend more time escaping quotes and making life harder for themselves by failing to hit the tab key, enter key, or putting meaningful names on their variables... as if we're magically supposed to know what 'style1' or 'cbxV11' actually is.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    deathshadow, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  10. Affiliatin

Affiliatin Peon

Best Answers:
    Actionscript, Visual Basic and PHP

Affiliatin, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  11. ajin115

ajin115 Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP, Ruby, javascript

ajin115, Nov 4, 2012 IP
  12. KolTas

KolTas Member

Best Answers:
    I know only a bit of Java.

KolTas, Nov 4, 2012 IP
  13. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    C, C++, PHP, Java Script, AJAX, HTML, CSS, SQL. And this process is still going on.. :)

traxport121, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  14. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AJAX, HTML and CSS aren't programming languages.

Rukbat, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  15. todion

todion Member

Best Answers:
    I am not expertise in any programming languages but have little idea about HTML and PHP but in future I am trying to learn some programming languages.

todion, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  16. MS.USD

MS.USD Peon

Best Answers:
    I Know PHP Javascript HTM5/CSS3 And SQL

and little Python Java

MS.USD, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  17. coakleylincoln

coakleylincoln Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Familiar with vb, html and have a little bit touch and basics about java, c, xml:)

coakleylincoln, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  18. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    C,then C++,
    next C# or PHP,
    a little bit of JAVA ,
    you can choose one in-between C# and PHP.

lolpasslol, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  19. markabiyn02

markabiyn02 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know c,C++, Java,.Net, Php, Css,Android.

markabiyn02, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  20. Adsystems

Adsystems Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    c,c++,c#,php i know these four languages ,and love to work in php and c only.

Adsystems, Jan 6, 2013 IP