1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many powerpoint slides would make a 4-5 minute video clip?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by eyes2005, Nov 28, 2008.

(Have you made short videos using simple powerpoint voice over? - then plz look at this question)

Just wondering, when making a 4-5 minute video clip which consists of PowerPoint voice over, how many slides would this approximately be?

I know this depends on many things, such as
    - how many words sentences you speak out into the mic,
    -how fast you speak as the voice,
    -how many bullets are in each slide,
    -how many spaces you have while you speak etc,
    but even if just roughly...

but lets assume each slide has roughly 6-7 bullets... how many slides in total approximately would be the equivalent 'in time' to produce a 4-5 minute video?

(For example -(and this is just randomly made up)...lets say 70 slides of PowerPoint would be the equivalent in time to make a 1hour video- how many would you say would make a 4-5 minute video)- and it would be great if this question is looked at by people who have already made PowerPoint videos.

That 70 slides for 1 hour was a random example, to make the question sound simpler lol.

eyes2005, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    70 slides, divided by 60 minutes in an hour = 1.16 slides per minute. interesting.

I wonder how we could figure out the number of slides for five minutes now that we know how many slides per minute.

my math might get a little shaky here, so you might want to do this again just to verify (use that professional calculator tool that came with your computer.

1.16 slides per minute x 5 minutes = 5.83 slides

so, another tricky math concept called 'rounding up' says that since 8 is bigger than 5, we go ahead and move it to the next decimal place

6.0 slides are needed to make a 5 minute presentation, at the same rate that a 70-slide presentation would last an hour.

Another way of figuring this out is this:

60 minutes ÷ 5 minutes = 12 five-minute blocks in every hour

70 slides in an hour ÷ 12 blocks of five minutes = 5.83 slides per 5 minute block

5.83 rounds up to 6.0 slides you'd need.

I hope this math helps, I'm glad I went to college so I could help you with this one.

innovati, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  3. eyes2005

eyes2005 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh one thing- That 70 slides for 1 hour exampl was a random example, to make the question sound simpler lol. (ive modified the post)

was just after those of you who have made powerpoint presentations.

4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I've done 2 minute presentations with 30 slides before, and I've done 15 minutes presentations with 3 slides. It depends on how much content you put in the slides, and how much you use the visuals to aid the dialogue.

My question is if you are presenting this in video format, why is PowerPoint being used? It has horrible text-handling capabilities and you cannot possibly deliver professional level material using tools that don't have professional level capabilities.

5. eyes2005

eyes2005 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is all i know, convert Powerpoint slides into jpegs, insert them into sony vegas movie studio,

What other alternative options have i got?
    Do you make videos for people as a service, or know about any services that do ?

what is your msn messenger id/yahoo messenger id? so we can discuss this further please

6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    you could use a vectos app like Adobe Flash, is simple enough to learn for something like this and the files would be very very small compared to a movie file, and they'd also be easier to embed in a website if you so chose.

Since Flash is vector based, it's 100% perfect at any resolution, as video resolution increases, so does filesize.

Not only do you have no typographic control in powerpoint, saving as a lossy JPG (which is a photo-only- format) makes it an inferiour copy of a non-profressional project.

Getting simple flash programs like swish or whtever it used to be called might be enough to suffice until you can get the full flash from adobe.

best of luck!

7. Amaric

Amaric Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand, why not simply convert the PowerPoint to video? There are quick and simple programs that do that.

Amaric, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  8. Browne21

Browne21 Peon

Best Answers:
    The answer on your question really depends on many facts. For example how many slides you have and how long you plan to spend time on each slide.
    I recommend creating a PowerPoint presentation, then using the convert powerpoint to mp4 online tool to create a video out of it. It will make you small as possible but still keep the quality.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Browne21, Apr 7, 2021 IP