1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many of you rank higher with Yahoo than Google

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Clubtitan.org, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Refrozen

Refrozen Peon

Best Answers:
    Btw, I also get more hits from MSN then I do from Google... Surprise? I get it from some REALLY WEIRD KEYWORDS too.... Like "lol hf gl omfg omf lol sad" which btw, appears NO WHERE ON MY SITE.

Refrozen, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  2. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback daamsie! Like I said, my conspiracy theory on Site Match is based on our portfolio. That's why it's good for me to see what is happening with everyone else.

Personally, I think that there are a lot more "junk" forums out there than good forums like yours (BTW, I did check out your forum and it is nicely done and well organized).

As far as delivering traffic, overall I do believe that Google has the advantage in market share and thus total referrals to web sites. I know what our visitor demographics are, but it would be interesting if someone had data on combined global /US/UK etc. SE traffic by category of search, region, income level, etc.

I also believe that over the next two years that Google will lose a chunk (maybe not overall market share, but a big chunk of it) to MSN. Bill Gates wants it THAT bad. Microsoft will hire an ad agency to come up with a catchy jingle to go along with a "smart" commercial and many casual web surfers will move to MSN without really thinking about their decision. Call it good marketing or brainwashing, but MSN has tons of money and the wherewithall to take on Google.

HHI Golf Guy, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  3. lbardach

lbardach Guest

Best Answers:

lbardach, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  4. Clubtitan.org

Clubtitan.org Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally like the new MSN search but thats just because I rank high with my target words. LOL. I don't use it for my searches though. I still use Google for any searches I need to make. Occasionally I will use Yahoo but thats it.
    M4ck

Clubtitan.org, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Im a bit better ranked in yahoo - 1 page difference

My hardest KW is Cadillac and im ranked 16 in google and 5 in yahoo.

joeychgo, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  6. inthedark

inthedark Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, I can

inthedark, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  7. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although I am trying hard with Google, in fact, I rank much better with Yahoo and others.
    I am trying to understand exactly why, but I'm inclined to believe that there's much less competition on other SEs.

uca, Dec 31, 2004 IP
  8. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site is fairly new, less than a year old. It may be the sandbox effect, but I am close to #60 for my most important Keyword phrase on yahoo, and not even in the top 1000 on google.

SportsOutlaw, Dec 31, 2004 IP
  9. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    For my site
    I have several keywords that are in the top 10 for yahoo & msn
    not even in the top 20 for google

Google seem to have a lot of spam/junk sites out their
    i hope that gets resolved soon
    if thats even possible

bloodwrath, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  10. UKZJ007

UKZJ007 Guest

Best Answers:
    I rank poorly in yahoo, whereas google = #1-#20

UKZJ007, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  11. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    My 7.5 month old site is #1 on Y! and MSN.b for my most important keyphrases. But, I'm just now breaking the top 40 on GG.

I do get crawled daily by Inktomi and gbot. And, I do have a Y! directory listing along with site match and precision match (also run AdWords).

Also, I don't find Y! to be slower at indexing. I added about 30 'cities served' to my services page and Y! started placing me #1 with the combo keyphrase + city after about 4 months. Slow? Maybe. But that was 2 months ago, and GG still doesn't return my site in the top 100 when I include a city.

longcall911, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  12. EdenView

EdenView Peon

Best Answers:
    On most of my sites I'm higher on Google than Yahoo, but I've been concentrating my efforts on Google since that's what more people use, so the higher results are to be expected I suppose.

EdenView, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  13. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me yahoo & MSN beta have like 1500+ links
    and google has less than 200 this could be the reason why im so low on google

bloodwrath, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  14. EdenView

EdenView Peon

Best Answers:
    Google also doesn't draw as many links from linkdumps, forums, and recip exchanges as the others.

EdenView, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  15. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i have been working hard on getting links
    well over 2000 in the last few months
    i hope google will pickup more of them

bloodwrath, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  16. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    we also do dramatically better on Yahoo/MSN, even though we've been focusing on Google. Guess Google's just tougher....

Extranet Guy, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  17. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya that me
    I focus on google and get no traffic from google
    and all from yahoo & msn
    Ill keep working on getting more links.. thats what im going to do

bloodwrath, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  18. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you base that on exactly? The backlinks showing with Google's link: command are only a sample of the links they have indexed. There are likely many more that they just don't bother showing us.

daamsie, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  19. Swebbie

Swebbie Guest

Best Answers:
    I have 6 sites, and all of them rank higher on Inktomi (Yahoo & current MSN) and the new MSN beta vs. Google. Only one of them has a paid Yahoo directory listing, and it isn't the highest ranked. I don't think a Yahoo directory listing has anything to do with how you rank in their index SERPs.

Here's what I've learned from trying to rank well in both G and Y - it's much easier with on-page optimization and just a few targeted IBL's to rank well at Y, even for highly competitive phrases. One of my sites is #5 there with 10 million competitors and a phrase that gets several thousand searches per day (overall, not just at Yahoo). If you target an industry with low-to-moderate competition (tens of thousands to maybe 1 million), you can achieve a top page Y ranking easily, assuming you have the basic on-page SEO down pat. And that can change when their algos change, obviously.

Although at G the sandbox effect may be accounting for a couple of my sites not showing up in the top 1000 SERPs, my strong suspicion is that their overemphasis on IBL's is the culprit. And that really irks me, not because my rankings are low, but because the time I could be spending creating useful and unique content I have to spend in a boring pursuit of IBL's, playing the same games you all play - recips, buying high PR links on related sites, and all the rest. It makes me sad to see G falling in terms of relevant results, but that's what I see. I think it's all because so many webmasters game the rankings by getting IBL's to sites with crappy content. Maybe when G continues to see its market share drop (as is currently happening), they'll wake up and put the emphasis on rewarding strong, unique, useful content, not idiotic and irrelevant nonsense like "who can get the most links" to point to their grade-school level content.

OK, done ranting. :p

As a searcher, I use Yahoo now more often than Google, and that hasn't been the case since mid-1999. I find Yahoo results for the majority of my searches more relevant than G's. That's truly a shame, imho.

Swebbie, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  20. EdenView

EdenView Peon

Best Answers:

Just my experience with linkdumps not getting any of my sites indexed by Google, but indexed quickly with Inktomi, etc.

EdenView, Jan 3, 2005 IP