1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many of you rank higher with Yahoo than Google

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Clubtitan.org, Dec 14, 2004.

Just curious if this is something that is unique to me or a few or is this widespread. Are people so Google crazy that they are losing out by not trying to rank higher on other search engines such as MSN or Yahoo , Excite....etc.
    thanks for the input
    M4ck

Clubtitan.org, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I rank pretty crappy in Yahoo compared to Google. Google is easily optimized for. Yahoo is a bit more tricky.

Infiniterb, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  3. eddie

eddie snowrider

Best Answers:
    I rank very well in Yahoo and msn ect top 5 for most of my keywords have not totaly figured out G yet around 30 for my main keywords.

eddie, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  4. Clubtitan.org

Clubtitan.org Peon

Best Answers:
    Im in the same boat Eddie. I just seem to do better with Yahoo for some reason. I have found out by asking in my forums that lots of my new members found me because of yahoo and not google. I believe I do better on Yahoo because the sites are listed in their directory. Anyway I will keep trying to get higher in both but I'm glad I'm doing well in yahoo for right now.
    M4ck

5. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you get siginificant traffic from yahoo? 300 or 500 a day. I get a few thousands from google, but only a few from Yahoo. it's very slow for yahoo to index new pages even thought its slurp isn't lazy.

dejaone, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me, it is almost identical for all the big three. I am not sure if that is good, bad or otherwise, but almost exactly the same for Shawn's tracker and the other two trackerless SE's.

This is recent though because Inktomi previously did not have me anywhere near G, but now it has caught up.

NewComputer, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    wait til the Yahoo! algo changes :D

Blogmaster, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  8. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Do you know something the rest of the SEO world doesn't?

NewComputer, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  9. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm sure the Yahoo algo will change at some point.

Infiniterb, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  10. Clubtitan.org

Clubtitan.org Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure how to really track the daily visitors from Yahoo but I know when I have asked how people found the site it is usually through the Yahoo search. I am still new to all this so if you can tell me how to track this on my own without input from the visitor I would appreciate it. All I know is that Yahoo has helped tremendously and the proof is in the 550 or so member I have now. Since getting in the top 10 on Yahoo for my search terms my membership has more than trippled only in about 1 1/2 months. Which has resulted in more money from clicks on the Adsense ads.
    M4ck

11. eddie

eddie snowrider

Best Answers:
    You need to get a log analyzing program their are many out their from free on up just depends how much information you are looking for.
    It will tell you were your visitors came from what search terms they used ect.

eddie, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  12. Clubtitan.org

Clubtitan.org Peon

Best Answers:
    Any you would suggest over others. I dont want to waist time with ones that are no good or just half way decent.
    Oh and preferably free. LOL
    m4ck

13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Awstats is free and comes installed with any decent Cpanel hosting.

dcristo, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  14. magellan

magellan Guest

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is definitely a lot easier to rank on as their algo relies less on links and more to do with on-page factors.

magellan, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  15. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. On-page SEO is very important, but a word of caution for the less experienced... don't get carried away.

I believe that on-page over optimizing can hurt if you take it to the extreme.

longcall911, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  16. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do a bit better on yahoo but not by much.

clubbin714, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  17. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I do better on yahoo than on google, too. I think part of it might be overoptimization, part the sandbox effect (no 4 on my phrase on allinanchor, but nowhere in the top 200 on the real search).

subseo, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  18. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep yep, #1 on Y and M for quite a few, top 5 on quite a few more for both.

G my highest ranking is 140 rest are no where to be found as I don't check beyond 200 positions.

Pathetic....and for the life of me, can't figure it out. 6 months now and and can't break nothing but my butt trying to get any decent rank....lol

Cheers

gchaney, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Look at your logs, or run a web analysis program and look specifically for the referrer reports and referring URL reports, as well as "search terms".

Mia, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  20. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think that where you rank in the SERP's between the two SE's not only depends upon backlinks, but if the phrases that you are targeting are so called "money words".

For example, take the phrase "real estate". Run a search on Google and Yahoo using any city + real estate. In most cases, you will find that Yahoo brings up sites of local realtors in the area. Google, on the other hand, brings up mostly articles on real estate for that area, doorway pages or blogs to a realtor web site, and real estate directories. The only real estate agents that show up are those with tons and tons of backlinks.

Now do another Google search on any city + golf. Notice the difference? More local sites show up in the results. You may get some directory sites and an article or two, but you are more apt to find what pages on the intended topic of your search.

I'm not sure how this could be called anything other than some sort of filter. Call it local rank, hub/aithority site issues, whatever your want. The algo is weighted very differently for "money words". Why would G have a filter on "money words"? Simple - to drive Adwords revenues. In fact, doing so is a very smart business model to drive revenues.

HHI Golf Guy, Dec 16, 2004 IP