1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how many of you left your day job ??

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by sam1, Nov 9, 2005.

1. detonate

detonate Peon

Best Answers:
    Quit my job in August last year. Had my ups and downs but everything is going fine. Now my company has two employees - it's not just me :)

detonate, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  2. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I've been self-employed for over 10 years now so no job to leave.

sji2671, Dec 17, 2006 IP
    dudy255 likes this.
  3. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Chinmay, actually I would love to talk on this issue with other indians as well like when should be the right time. I think it will be different from person to person. A person leaving his job in India and doing online work is alot different as compared to US. If you are leaving a job than it can get really difficult to make a come back in India as compared to US specially for skilled person say a computer enginneer student like me. Also it does pay well in being a comp enginner as I know I am going to get a good job and good pay cheque.

I also can not leave my engineering as compared to some US grad to start my own business. Well I can but I won't. It's just not practical. Amit Patel can be compared to me. We both are of same age but his father has business where my father is a governement employee with fixed income who will be retire some day, so I need to make sure that I Don't try to do something too extravagent and destroy everything.

Please do note that I am not skeptical, its just that I want to tell all those Indian college grads who worship Bill gates and steve jobs to not to leave your education or job in middle unless you are fully financially secure. In US ppl can work and live doing small jobs like working in restaurents during dry days(due to less cost disparity) which can not be done in India for living.

Regards
    Let me see, I will try to come to Delhi to meet you guys

poseidon, Jan 2, 2007 IP
    dudy255 and mahmood like this.
  4. adflakes.com

adflakes.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I left my day job to be a freelance web programmer. In my free time, I am making my own website and currently earning from them through adsense. I tie-up with a team recently and we will be releasing a new classified ads website and our initial target for our revenue is from adsense until we get enough traffic to initiate other business models we have in mind.

As of now, freelance work is still my main source of income but I hope that passive income through the websites that I am working at will change this for 2007 :)

adflakes.com, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  5. dudy255

dudy255 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have left my job 2 years ago and concentrating on my online business. :)

dudy255, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  6. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How is it all going for you?
    Making as much as you were at your day job?

longroad, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  7. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its a lot easier, or at least it seems to be, for people to leave jobs if they are based in a relatively low income country because they only have to make a goodish sum from adsense to match their income form their job. However, I would still wait till you have sites that bring constant and stable income because there too many variables and volatility in running websites.

qwestcommunications, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  8. Kel

Kel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I left work but not by choice. Ive been sick for a while so my fiance made me leave work and sit here in front of the computer all the time lol. Im not making a wage from the computer but every little bit helps. I would love to get my adsense earnings up to a decent level. :)

Kel, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  9. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Why would a fiance make you leave work? Isn't there a potential family to feed, bills to pay, etc. Unless of course the ilness is long term, in which case you may not have an option but to leave.

Edit: I thought you were a man. Sorry!

qwestcommunications, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  10. lurkster

lurkster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Working towards that goal is tough, and someday i'd love to wirelessly connect from a beach to check earnings and say 'Damn, it was a good day, I'll take another Margarita'.

lurkster, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  11. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't actually have a dayjob right now, and I hope I never will :D

Austars, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  12. unicornmagus

unicornmagus Peon

Best Answers:
    Left the day job.
    I don't rely on adsense or any other form of income. Always diversify so if one income stream goes belly up you have an instant replacement.
    The internet world is ever changing and who knows what is round the corner. A $18,000 a month business suddenly became defunct with changes in paypal tos but I had other income streams to avoid disaster.
    Keep creating and keep ontop of new trends. We can all fall in love with our own creations but don't let them blind you.

unicornmagus, Jan 2, 2007 IP
    poseidon likes this.
  13. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes this is the biggest concern of mine as well as it should be of any person who is looking ot leave his job. There are lot's of such issues which you can never imagine off, which will arise from nowhere leaving you handicapped. Like I lost $2500 and few sites of mine(Never got the money) last month and now I am earning very less (only from adsense). So you have to be prepare for such things and I am not taking about mentally but more importantly financially. Involving your spouse or brother can be the first step to spread the work without leaving your job. Hiring full time freelancers is another good option.

poseidon, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  14. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    I am unemployed (web developer, some web design) and have a very hard time to find a job in this city.
    While looking for full-time jobs (which i constantly do) i started putting up websites and blogs, 8 now in the last...2 months.

Its great because it benefits me, i dont sit on my butt, i learned PHP and amazon web services API..and i can add recent stuff on my resume.

My "dream" of course would be i have 100s or so sites running and i learn even more about SEO and various marketing strategies, also i have many ideas for niche marketing.

My dream of course would be that the sites generate revenue and i can make a living off it.

Without being unemployed (which is bad, sure) i wouldn't have had the time to read around all night...put up my blogs/pages and work on them...i could've done that YEARS earlier...i dont even know why it never came to me. As of now i am still a rookie, but money is very slowly coming in from the sites. I wish i had more funds and i could promote w/ adwords and buy domains and hosting....i would've had already 50+ sites/domains and what not..maybe 100+ ...but it is very hard with zero funds.

GeorgR., Jan 3, 2007 IP
  15. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    hell yeah :)

GeorgR., Jan 3, 2007 IP
  16. freeman

freeman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am a student, and Its enough for living from my online income.

freeman, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  17. dgeorge

dgeorge Peon

Best Answers:
    Left my job in August 2006 after 15 years in the technology consulting business to work from home and promote affiliate groups. I was a top Microsoft consultant making over $100k/year in Cleveland, Ohio, but I can't stand working for other people and I never could. I'm 40 with a wife and two kids. The timing of quitting my job was timed with both of my boys going to school in the fall. Working for corporate america imho is a huge financial risk. I have been on unemployment a few times because I trusted and believed in my employer only to find myself on hard times. It is difficult for me to rely on an employer for a paycheck. The employer always holds the cards and my fate is always in their hands which makes me feel real uncomfortable.

I have enough banked up to last me a year or more so I can give Internet marketing a real good shot. Medical benefits are easy, I have great medical insurance for $250/mo. for family. You can get great dental and vision benefits at summitdentalplans dot com and they even family dental/medical plans for $60/mo.

Right now, I make little more than $1000/mo. which does not pay the bills, but I figure there will always be a job waiting for me if I need one. What I am doing is a risk that has high rewards and little downside. If I wanted to start a retail shop selling coffee, that would cost me $250,000 just to get started and even then I would only make $100,000/year at best and continue to be in the hole for the next 3-5 years. What I am doing costs me very little on a montly basis. But I am not without expenses, ie, house, car, food, utilities, etc.

Even if I have to work for someone again, it will be for a short while until I can get my Internet businesses paying off. I work 10-12 hr days and really enjoy the benefits of working for myself; they are priceless and I wouldn't want it any other way.

dgeorge, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  18. mentol

mentol Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds cool and risky.

mentol, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  19. wildsway18

wildsway18 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a day job to quit in the first place... so nothing to lose there for me...

And my earnings on the net come more like a hobby, they're just like a bonus :) a nice one too..

wildsway18, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  20. CarTitans

CarTitans Peon

Best Answers:
    I never had a day job, I jumped into freelancing and adsense right after graduating college. Got a master's degree as well afterwards, but, as you can imagine, that doesn't help much in the online world. As for Adsense funds, I think I hit $4000/month but due to some Google de-indexing I am around $1500 - $1800 per month now.

CarTitans, Sep 21, 2007 IP