How many links is DMOZ giving now?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Dominic, Dec 27, 2004.

Just wondering if anyone knew how many links a listing in DMOZ gives these days and how long aprox. till those sites get the update from dmoz?

e.g. 100 links ~ about 2 months

Dominic, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  2. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    ~4000.

Some update instantly (scrapers)
    DMOZ provides weekly dump for sites to update - frequency of updates vary from weekly to several years to not at all.

Birdie, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  3. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    The number of links depends entirely on the category the site is listed in. For example there are a few categories where a listing will provide 10,000+ links because they are popular to reproduce and there are other categories which are a minority interest and a listing there will provide less than a 100.

How long does it take? Well the latest site that I have knowledge of entered dmoz in a popular category, close to the root dmoz page, on the 20th December. So there has been one RDF update and it now shows 2,789 links (in msn beta) of which all but a handful are dmoz clones of this category. So for popular pages it does not take long.

- Michael

Michael, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    From the results which I have seen, I believe that the Google duplicate content filters and/or a special DMOZ filter may make the effective answer to this question one.

Will.Spencer, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

If it is true then I and digital point should thank you cbp, since 1 of the 4 DMOZ listed web sites that I bought, just now is showing digital point as content.

Isn't that funny, DMOZ listed web site showing this forum? :D

gworld, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  6. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that pretty much invalidates what I thought was the most useful part of DMOZ submission; all the other links you got from other sites using DMOZ data.

egdcltd, Apr 22, 2005 IP