1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how many keywords is to many?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by budc, Jan 18, 2008.

I have about 15 keywords that I am using on my blog. How many is to much? Thanks

budc, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  2. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you shouldn't design your site around keywords. you should design keywords around your site.

e.g. you have a site about cars. they keywords would come from what is in the content. you shouldn't just make stuff up.

fadetoblack22, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  3. budc

budc Peon

Best Answers:
    Right I made my site about one subject but when I do keyword searches off my topic I keep adding keywords. Can you over use them though?

budc, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  4. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    I don't understand what you mean. Keywords should be something you pick out of your text rather than something you add to it.

fadetoblack22, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  5. Markas

Markas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure... but I would say that there are never too many keywords ;)

Markas, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  6. budc

budc Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a wordpress blog and I have the all in one seo plugin where you can put in keywords for your site.

budc, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  7. FatKidUnleashed

FatKidUnleashed Banned

Best Answers:
    Depends on the keywords. If they are 15 good, original keywords that you can rank well for, then sure keep em all. But if you run a real estate blog and one of your keywords is 'real estate', lol, trash that.

FatKidUnleashed, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  8. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean. If the words come from your text then you can have endless amounts of keywords. Only you define what a keyword is.

Do you mean that you want to define keywords that your site appears in the search rankings under? In that case its best to concentrate on 1 or 2 at a time.

fadetoblack22, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  9. c4gamerz

c4gamerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice tips here thx everyone :) really helpfull

c4gamerz, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  10. cybersquate

cybersquate Banned

Best Answers:
    make sure you just made 6 keywords max for your site/blog :)

cybersquate, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  11. LawnchairLarry

LawnchairLarry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quality is far more important that quantity when it comes to picking the right keywords for a webpage! (Unless you're talking about keyword stuffing) It really does not matter if you select 15 or 18 or 7 keywords.

Exactly! Keywords and keywords phrases are the most important words and word combinations in the text on a specific webpage (not: website!) that reflect what that text is about. Be very specific in the description of the topic of your webpage and carefully pick a few equally specific (=niche) keywords. If the body text on that specific webpage of your blog is for example about the wonderful opportunities for real estate development in China, you may want to add "real estate", "property development" and "China" to your list of keywords, not "mortgage" or "2008 Olympics", although the latter ones are popular. And do not use the same keywords and keyword combinations for every webpage on your website! Returning to the example I gave: if you have another webpage about the wonderful opportunities for real estate development in Dubai, you should do not want "China" in the keyword list for that webpage, but "Dubai" instead. You should also avoid generic keywords such as "article", "blog", "computer", "internet", since there is absolute no chance that your webpage will rank high for such keywords.

Yes and no! A webpage can only rank high for a couple of keywords. Adding more than those keywords is pointless. But when you've just created your webpage and you do not know exactly which of the keywords and keyword combinations are the best, then it may be wise to add a few more and to fiddle around a bit just to see which of them yield the most visitors.

LawnchairLarry, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  12. futhey

futhey Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say it's too many keywords, but it's a high number of keywords, and keyword quality is DEFINATELY better than quanity.

futhey, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  13. Hugo

Hugo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say I always limit myself (perhaps wrongly) to 10 keywords, and they have to be very closely linked to my subject matter, Ill usually try and find keywords I can rank well in, but also attempt to earn a decent ranking in midway popular keywords as well.

Hugo, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  14. ZKC

ZKC Peon

Best Answers:
    nice sharing brother

ZKC, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  15. sediaz

sediaz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all based on density. The more content you have the more keywords you can use. However, the more keywords you use, the harder it is to optimize for those keywords. You want to use your keywords as many times as you can while providing readable content and without sounding like a broken record.

I personally stick to around 5-6 keywords, depending on the topic of the site.

sediaz, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  16. webrehash

webrehash Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to stay focused on the page at hand, but your entire site doesn't need to be focused on a certain number of keywords. For example, if your site is about website design, you could have sections dedicated to design, SEO, SEM and database development and rank well for all of them. You don't want to put them all on the same page however. Keep your pages clearly defined and structure your pages according to acceptible SEO guidlines, which doesn't mean keyword stuffing.

webrehash, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  17. yuemyutu

yuemyutu Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 15 is enough. But if u use more than 20 it may be considered too much

yuemyutu, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  18. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't set a limit just let your site grow i'd say don't try and attempt to many just start of nice and easy and you will want to target other words as your site develops but at the start you want to rank #1 for easy keywords then when you have got the hang target some more competetive ones of course all in relation to your site.

wd_2k6, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  19. TTTLTT

TTTLTT Peon

Best Answers:
    Take your main keywords and write around them. As an example if you are selling cars then you would write something around the word cars such as: "Blue manifold gaskets work better on engines than silicone gel. Cars are fun to work on with the exception of Fords because Fords suck-ass." Something like that.

However, if you're really writing about cars and your site is about cars then you should never have to worry about writing for SEO purposes. Just build a site that you would want to visit often and others will follow.

Basically when you start writing, you'll find that there are lot more keywords than your top 15. As long as you keep your points on-topic you will be fine.

Search for latent semantic indexing to learn more. Eventually, it's LSI that will make Google aware and then take over the world.

Hope it helps,

David

TTTLTT, Feb 9, 2008 IP