1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Many Forums Do You Own (Any Software!)

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by BlueEew, Apr 22, 2008.

Hello. So I was just wondering how many forums you guys and gals own. I done a search and found a vBulletin thread. However I thought I would ask how many forums you own including all softwares. :D

I have one forum. It is a Pokemon Forum. I also have a phpBB 3, and phpBB 2 test board hosted on a domain that I used for software testing and moving a free phpBB forum to my vBulletin Pokemon Forum.

Anyways those two will be deleted. I also have serveral free hosted forums one I have now moved from and others I have used for testing and from years ago. However I have one forum which I use.

It's on vBulletin also.

I am planning on making many forums. I won't say much more then that. So how many forums do you own. Also what softwares do you use on them?

Thanks,
    BlueEew.

BlueEew, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  2. Gigacore

Gigacore Active Member

Best Answers:
    1 Forum running on MyBB 1.2.21

Gigacore, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  3. AutumnBreeze

AutumnBreeze Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 5 forums running MyBB :)

AutumnBreeze, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  4. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I have two forums actually dead and when it comes to software, I have al the IPB versions, the two most recent vBulletin and myBB whis is a freeware mixing and matching some of the features only available individually in those which are commercial scripts [​IMG]

Trusted Writer, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  5. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have one vb forum and 2 forums on a free remotley hosted forum hosts. (The free ones, i don't have opened though)

Other then getting my custom template installed soon, i'm only going to run 1 forum. I have another project that i haven't started yet but i might create a support forum to go along with it. (That's un-decided at this time)

snakeair, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  6. johnxarce

johnxarce Peon

Best Answers:
    i have
    2 Vbulletin
    and 2 phpbb3

johnxarce, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I own one stamp collecting forum using phpbb2. Not many active members but at least we have the same interests.

wisdomtool, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  8. affiliategirl

affiliategirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 2 powered by SMF 1.1.4. I tested them first on a local server before migrating it to the web. I haven't published them yet so they're basically empty. I still need a domain name for the other one.

affiliategirl, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  9. plot

plot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have 3 forum right now had 6 before

one SMF 2.0 Beta Running
    Another one running MyBB
    lastly the Mighty VB

plot, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  10. HH - Dan

HH - Dan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I own 3
    2 run FusionBB
    1 runs SMF

I manage another one that runs FusionBB and host and update about 12 that run a mix of FusionBB, phpBB and SMF

HH - Dan, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  11. TopArticles

TopArticles Guest

Best Answers:
    I have 4, 2 on phpbb2 running the paid to post mod, I have another on phpbb3, and I have just set another phpbb3 up to test the cash mod for phpbb3.

I would be interested to know what you guys think is the best? especially you BlueEew

TopArticles, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  12. BlueEew

BlueEew Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What software is the best?

Well, myself. I have only ever used phpBB and vBulletin. For some reason I actually prefer phpBB 2 to phpBB 3. I guess I got used to the styling. Anyways, I would have to say that vBulletin is the best paid and phpBB is the best free software.

vBulletin as advance features, and also makes plugins/modifications easy to install. vBulletin is worth the price. :D

BlueEew, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  13. HH - Dan

HH - Dan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think FusionBB ;)

But, then again, I would, I am one of 10 Alpha testers

HH - Dan, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  14. nethelp

nethelp Peon

Best Answers:
    I own 1 under SMF (soon to upgrade on vBulletin) and 1 or 2 mores to come, all under vBulletin.

nethelp, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  15. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I run mybb exclusively now. I guess I have about 30+ installs. I buy and sell forums constantly. I normally am focused on at least 5 at a time where they are growing well. However it's usually just one or two at a time that are really making me money. The rest are just projects on the sideline. I have well over 50 forum domains that have no software installed yet. Some are incredibly good names (gourmetforums.com for instance) that one day I will launch. I just sold about 4-5 forums this past week and purchased 2. I am trying to keep my portfolio clean of crap I don't want and focus on monetizing the best ones that peak my interest the most.

btw..I am finding that I am doing well using solid keywords in domain name. Normally it's dotcom but dotnet's are starting to show real promise. I have yet to create a successful forum based on .us which seems to be the bastard child of extensions.

RectangleMan, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  16. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    I thought you had loads of forums. You are always selling and buying them. :D

When I have got my forum done and when I am happy with it. I am starting a project around forums. I was going to build websites, and blogs. However I have decided to use forums because I actually like developing them.

I will also be using the myBB software. I haven't yet used them. I like the way a forum looks. Generally I love vBulletin and phpBB 2. I deicded to go with myBB because it is just like vBulletin. It's development as also been very fast.

@RectangleMan: What do you think of .org, and .info extensions?

BlueEew, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  17. plot

plot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to share what I feel about Vbulletin. I know that Vb has loads of features and support but I still got get it that majority of the high traffic sites are using Vbulletin. People are even willing to pay 160 extra when you sell your vbulletin forum and Search Engine Love Vbulletin Forums. They always have more then 40+ Google and Yahoo Bots on the site. Its is because of the linking structure of Vb or what?

plot, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  18. add_cents

add_cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I only have one message board, and it's a PHPBB.

I was hesitant to spend money on vBulletin, so I tried a free option.

So far, it's working out pretty well. Not sure if I even need to upgrade to vBulletin. The message board has been growing at a pretty good pace.

It's only been a month, and I have close to 500 members.

add_cents, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  19. geekos

geekos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I own 2 forums :D and its powered by PHP-nuke platinum and smf :)

geekos, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  20. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you coud start earning money from your forum and then use it to upgrade to vBulletin? That's if you would like to anyways.

BlueEew, Apr 24, 2008 IP