1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how many directory submissions per day?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by babylonian, Sep 4, 2005.

Hello,

The title says it all. Based on your experience and thought, what is the optimal number of directory subscriptions per day?
    If you start dir submission, to how many dirs would you apply, without causing google search to ban you for too many inbound links :)

Thank you all,

D.

babylonian, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  2. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to be the general opinion that you should take a month or two if submitting to the directories on a list like http://info.vilesilencer.com, which lists just under 200 directories.

Also, directory approval times vary quite a lot, from a few hours to a few months, which will spread out your link increase a bit.

egdcltd, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I would not kill myself submitting to directories. Most are nothing more than made for adsense sites.

Good luck.

Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  4. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Just go through a free directory list and submit to, say, 3-5 a day.

Only a few minutes to do that.

egdcltd, Sep 4, 2005 IP
    strtbykr likes this.
  5. babylonian

babylonian Guest

Best Answers:
    Ups, I might be a little of with question. What I meant to ask is, how many directory submissions is safe for a period of time (month?), without being flaged for ban from google?

@smyrl: what are some of the other better ways to bring quality links to a site, and increase PR?

Cheers,
    D.

babylonian, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    As you mentioned in your other post the interior pages of most directories have little to no page rank initially. Over the life of the directory the page rank should grow and hence its benefit as a backlink to your site.

With a new site I link from my signature to get it spidered and submit to the open directory. Then I go to work on meaningful link exchanges. For musical site I exchange links with musicians playing the venu etc. For e-commerce site exchange links with manufacturers.

Good luck,
    Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  7. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    As to how many is safe, only Google knows and they're not telling.

Most directory submission services spread their submissions (to about 200 directories) over a month or two. This should be safe.

Another way of getting links is by writing, or getting written, articles and submitting them to article directories

egdcltd, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  8. techbuzz

techbuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    Based on my experience, I submit to a large list (like vilesilencer) right up front. The delay in being accepted from the dirs on this list ususally spread things out well. This was the case for a site I started about a year ago. It did great in the rankings.

I'm doing the same for a new site.... I recently submitted to about 150 directories over a three day period. I've had about 10 accepted within a week. Figure another 10-20 over the month. Then add 10 or so per month after that.

techbuzz, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is nothing wrong with submitting to lots of directories, but don't limit yourself to this method. As suggested above, link exchanges can work well too, as well as participating in forums like this with a link in your signature. Where most problems arise is when you try to do too much of one thing.

dvduval, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  10. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I submit when i have time, if im bored i can sit there for hours just submitting to various directories. I havent made any submissions in the last few weeks though.

mightyb, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  11. ajnin

ajnin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the best method i have found is to submit to a list as said above but to not use the same anchor, title, url, and description each time, but instead mix it up a bit. i have lost pr and posistion from have too many inbound links come in too fast, but i dont belive i have since i started mixing things up.

ajnin, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  12. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't see how this matters if they make a profit from adsense. Even if it's soley made for profit.

As far as search engines are concerned when they're indexing a jewelry section on a directory and you have a jewelry store would you like your store to be there or not?

Insane amount of links don't matter, quality only?

Search google for "waffles" and you'll see what the GOP did during the last election (kerry is now #6 or so but was #1 thruout the election, and I guarantee he didn't chalk his website full of "waffles" it was backlinks with targeted text). Google is a popularity contest. Where does the internet as a whole rate your keywords well google will tell you just search for your keywords on their site.

For sure the best link is a like themed website with targeted text on a high PR and traffic page, but if you wouldn't trade that in for a million links because you don't like how they look you might want to make a living offline IMHO.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 17, 2005 IP
  13. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A link a day keeps the sandbox away!:)

Unfortunately submitting doesn't mean getting a link within the same day, so you might get quite a few, possibly too many the day they are approved.

But I don't think that up to 5-10 links a day can hurt, I never did submit to more than 5 in a day, but that's mostly due to it being so repetitive and boring...:)

Anyway, nobody really knows when the filter is triggered.

uca, Sep 17, 2005 IP
  14. ajnin

ajnin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i belive that the majority of seo'ers that dont want to get involved with those spammy adsense sites because in the future there is the possibility that all their hard work will come crashing down upon them. what happens when those million links you traded for all get reconigized by google as the adsense whores that they are? you site gets tossed in the crapper.

also for some it may be a matter of integrity to not support those people whom are simply ripping off adsense.

ajnin, Sep 17, 2005 IP
  15. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With about 5 of my websites :

2 web directory themes
    1 satellite internet theme
    1 ecological toilets theme
    1 it portal theme

I submited to about a minimum of 600 directories (all that i could have found at that time, in public directory lists, in google searching the first 40 pages, in forums like digitalpoint, at announcements), in less than 2 weeks.

Google did not penalized me at all. Moreover, at the next pr update (different for each website, off-course) i managed a minimum of PR 4, and the rest PR 5. All being 0 before.

I did this submissions, from the start of the websites life. They were not even indexed in google. And these are 5 scenarios.

Is this "too fast, link gaining issue" real ?

From my experience, i can't see it being real. :)

My personal adivice to people starting a new website, is subscribing it to this list of directories :

http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.php?rock=seo-friendly.php
    http://www.info-sales.co.uk/index.php?page=dirs
    http://www.best-web-directories.com/free-directories.htm
    http://www.directory-pages.com/tier2.htm
    http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/submit-url-free-directory.shtml
    http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php

More directory lists here.

If such penalising issue exists, and Google does this if it sees to many backlinks to a new website, than i guess the time between the submissions and the approvals, is quite moderated, and google, sees a long-term, normal situation.

I hope my experience was helpfull.

Cristian Mezei, Sep 18, 2005 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  16. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi expertu,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's helpful to know this.

I've had problems with sites getting penalized for getting links too quickly, but that has been in the thousands of links, rather than the hundreds of links that expertu is talking about. Also, the reality is that with directory submissions, many of them take some time to get indexed, so it does look somewhat like the links are growing over time.

onlinedude, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  17. hey

hey Peon

Best Answers:
    I just submit to them when i run into them alot of them are crappy .cgi redirects anywho .

hey, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  18. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I hate to submit it myself, so I'm looking for someone to pay for submittion as soon as I have a new site established.
    expertu: great post, thanks :)

DomainMagnate, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  19. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    expertu,

Just because you didn't get penalised doesn't mean the possibility isn't there. For a new site gaining lots of links in a short space of time isn't natural.

The best method is to build links gradually. Any webmasters or submission services that do them in a week are walking a tightrope.

If you are submitting for someone, and they are engaging in other SEO methods whilst you submit, and the links are building up very quickly, and a filter gets triggered and they end up in the sandbox, how are you going to explain that to the customer? Something tells me that "Sorry... Whoops!" isn't going to cut it. Once a site gets into the sandbox, it might sit there for a long time, 12 months isn't uncommon. That could ruin a business.

Directories are one SEO method, and should be used as a gradual link building method over time. Like earlier posters have said, you submit once and then forget. You don't go back and spam your site again (don't tell me it doesn't happen I see it everyday) or attempt to get every page listed. You submit the domain-level URL, unless the directory allows deep-linking, then you forget about it.

Meanwhile you also engage in the multitude of other SEO methods out there. That way IF the directory bubble bursts, you aren't left with a worthless site.

People that rely solely on directories to try and improve their sites, and then talk people into bad submission methods, need to wake up and smell the coffee.

silencer, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  20. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    silencer,

So, the well known list of seo friendly directories is yours? I guess you must be rather experinced in directories submittion then, what is your advice exactly?
    Lets say, I have a new site and I want to submit it to all the directories in your list, how would you recommend me to do it?
    Submitting just to 5-10 daily - it will take a month then, or
    Submit it all as fast as possible and then look for reciprocal links - then it may take few days?
    Besides how much time does it usually take before the submission is accepted (or not) - few days or weeks?

It would be great to hear your opinion :D
    thanks, Mike

DomainMagnate, Sep 22, 2005 IP