1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many directories should I submit?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rahman15, Apr 12, 2006.

1. sirisaacnewton2007

sirisaacnewton2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    submit to no more than 500 a day

sirisaacnewton2007, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  2. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I find it hard enough to submit to 50 directories in a day than doing 500. First you have to find the directories, then you have to check that they have a good PR standing plus maybe some alexa ranking and then you have to choose a category and submit your site and then possibly link back to them.

I find that submitting your site to web directories is a slow process.

john269, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  3. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you mean by using automated methods, because there's no way you could do more than that manually. I can always tell an automated submission, they're the ones I zap for not following the guidelines.

Speed this up by writing out everything you will need to in advance, including several versions of your site description, email address, keywords, your site address (test this!), even passwords. Then copy and paste everything, or use something like AI Roboform.

The more often you do this, the better you know which directories are worthwhile and which will shaft you on links or leave you stewing in a queue. You also get to know which ones have guidelines that differ from the norm. This is why it's sometimes better to farm this job out to an SEO.

Obelia, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  4. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I have done in the past is write it all out in word so that I can then just copy and paste things.

But I still find that adding to directories is still a slow process to some other forms of advertising.

john269, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  5. sirisaacnewton2007

sirisaacnewton2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    submit subpages if you can too

sirisaacnewton2007, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  6. msultani

msultani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are over 32,000,000 directories, about 100,000 of them you have hand submit and kind of hard, but for the rest I would get a software to submit.
    Do keep in mind there are all the countries and each one has 2 to 10 directories that are good and famous and then we got europe, us and canada that has thousands by cities. No they not penalize you for submitting to all of them, but yes they penalize you for submitting more then once if you are indexed.
    I have alot of post on my site, since this is part of my research, search engines and data clustering. you are more then welcome to read them and use them.
    www.boards.gdefine.com
    under search engine directory and the cons and pros of sitemap and other search engines are covered too. so you know what you getting yourself into.

Thanks

msultani, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  7. bluesky

bluesky Banned

Best Answers:
    I can manually submit to 220+ directories in a day averagely. That is because we have a software, which is specially designed to make the process of directory submission semi-automatically. It can help you speed up the process of directory submission and track results. Green, Work like roboform. ;)

you can download it at http://www.submithelper.com -- Totally free.

Additionally, we offer manual directory submission service. If you take an interest in it, please contact us.

bluesky, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  8. wazimm

wazimm Peon

Best Answers:
    Just put aside all the bull and submit submit to every thing. You worry about good standing pr and alexa ranking later or only if you have to give a reciprocal.

wazimm, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  9. msultani

Best Answers:
    well, my opinion is do not submit more then once to a directory if you are listed and specially in the same category or else they will ban you for sure. Read all their contract when you agree and they say it.
    Yes, there is software that can submit to all of them except the ones that you have to manually do it. Which the software will tell you which ones those are eg: dmoz, wikipedia, yahoo and so on.

Hope this helps

msultani, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  10. littlenicky

littlenicky Peon

Best Answers:
    I submit to everything manuelly, around 120 of them. Although, it gets really tedious but the PR goes up for me and a little bit of traffic comes in from them.

littlenicky, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  11. kocaarslan

kocaarslan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    be sure to give non-primer e-mail address to such directories while adding your link, otherwise your mailbox will possibly be full of spam

kocaarslan, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  12. msultani

Best Answers:
    I am currently working a directory right now, and yes it is 100% free to submit,
    google and yahoo loves, directories, wikipedia, .edu .info websites, because of the information that it provides.
    The directory that I am working on is xdefine.com but is not 100% done and needs a days work to be complete and then have to set the rules.
    Hopefully I get a chance to make a robot and show how everything behaves so that way people know how their indexing work on directories and how it works on search engines.

Thank you

msultani, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  13. kocaarslan

kocaarslan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    loved your software thanks for sharing it

kocaarslan, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  14. ghosthost

ghosthost Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you not to stress about the PR or other competitor site when you build a new site.. for a start, try the automatic BL's..

just a tip, you must write the steps of your "successfull" site, you it will easier when you build a new site.

ghosthost, May 1, 2006 IP
  15. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the more the better...i think the best thing to do is find a good one, and check it's directory listing...and submit to every directory that you find there.

spyrit, May 4, 2006 IP
  16. corona2632

corona2632 Peon

Best Answers:
    Manually it's not possible, that submit 500 a day. In my opinion. :)

corona2632, May 4, 2006 IP
  17. ShadowKnight

ShadowKnight Guest

Best Answers:
    I would think this is more a case of continual improvement. There is no magic number. My suggestion would be to find a couple of well managed SEO friendly directory lists that document thier updates. Try and get through the list(s) and then keep up with the updates. Of course you will find others out of accident, and there is no problems submitting to them either :)

ShadowKnight, May 7, 2006 IP
  18. sportwall

sportwall Guest

Best Answers:
    Are these effects the value of backlink to your site?

sportwall, May 7, 2006 IP
  19. LazySEO

LazySEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to submit to as many as I can, but it's definitely time-consuming and boring. Roboform speeds things up a lot and even the free version works pretty well.

The problem with auto-submitters is that every directory has its own list of categories and it's hard for a script to read that on the fly and pick the right one. I finally made my own, but it took a couple months of going through each directory's categories by hand. Now I have a huge relational database that will look up the correct category for each site, so I think it was worth the effort.

LazySEO, May 7, 2006 IP
  20. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    any chance you could share that with us :D

spyrit, May 7, 2006 IP