1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long it takes to appear in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by howtovdos, Nov 2, 2008.

I have submitted a request to DMOZ for inclusion. However my site is still not appearing in the directory and it's almost 7 months now. Does anyone has a idea how long it takes to be included?

Addition - And the site I own is aggregation of data from other websites.

howtovdos, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  2. sfer

sfer Peon

Best Answers:
    It may have been rejected or something like that - anything could have happened. I doubt it would take 7 months, though.

sfer, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  3. seo999

seo999 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think minimum 1month and some time not approval

seo999, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  4. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Most sites are never listed these days.

mystikmedia, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  5. crivionweb

crivionweb Banned

Best Answers:
    "an entire life" - dmoz listing is really hard and needs patience

crivionweb, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  6. marlonpowell

marlonpowell Active Member

Best Answers:
    The editors are very strict with categories, title and description. So follow their guidelines carefully. The problem is that there is no one to tell you what exactly went wrong. It's not user friendly as is with JoeAnt or any other big directory site.

marlonpowell, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  7. mexabet

mexabet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no time limit for site review. It depends on the availability of editors in the category you submitted your site.

mexabet, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  8. flatrox

flatrox Banned

Best Answers:
    dmoz is not give fast approval and its time is not fixed

flatrox, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  9. acne-guidelines

acne-guidelines Peon

Best Answers:
    better get yourself high quality inbound links from other sites in your niche

acne-guidelines, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  10. greny

greny Peon

Best Answers:
    Didn't take so long.. let me calculate..yes, about 9 month. :)

greny, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  11. iaria

iaria Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly and they seem to reject most of the sites with adsense, no matter what the content is

iaria, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  12. in51der

in51der Peon

Best Answers:
    Still waiting since feb...no word whatsoever. Is it worth worrying about or has the whole DMOZ thing imploded under it's own weight of unmanagibility?

in51der, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  13. spin

spin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Appears they are short-handed of free labor these days....the wait is really long or never achieved on many categories. Submit and forget.

spin, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  14. omidiu

omidiu Peon

Best Answers:
    does dmoz accept PR 0 web sites? from what i see, all the web site from the category i'm interested in, have at least 2 PR

omidiu, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  15. saleelm03

saleelm03 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It takes along time to appear. If you will repeat submitting then again it will take time

saleelm03, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  16. howtovdos

howtovdos Peon

Best Answers:
    Would they send an email when it's included or rejected? I can't understand why they would reject a site that has adsense?

howtovdos, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  17. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not if the content outweighs the adverts. If it's the reverse then it is clear where the problem is.

No it's not worth worrying about, submit, forget.

PR is irrelevant.

No they don't send emails. The only way you will find out is when your web site gets listed.

The way you describe your site though, I suspect it will be difficult to obtain a listing if it is just data pulled from other web sites. The editor is more likely to list the source. That is obviously just a guess though as I haven`t seen your site.

SilkySmooth, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  18. shearne

shearne Member

Best Answers:
    High All, I think I'm preaching to the choir on this one...but I had to rant a little bit. Am I wrong? I'd like to hear from others.

I submitted my site to DMOZ four months ago. It's frustrating that "dmoz" conducts itself the way they do. If they have something of value to give...a good link and access affiliate sites, why don't they just charge for their service. That, I think, would be much better than their current nebulous way of doing things: No one to contact, no apparent standards for getting your site included, no timeframe (reasonable or unreasonable) that they'll try to stick to. No way of tracking whether they've received your submission or whether there is some problem with the submission. No response when your submission is declined and/or deleted. Nobody to contact to see if they have your submission or ask about any problems, no accountability for anything, including even acting like an ethical organization.

I've heard it said that they're short staffed...right. So that makes it ok to act in this manner? Why don't they charge some fee or offer some incentive to attract other moderators. It's absolutely not fair to people that are trying to take advantage of their "program" and follow their "instructions". At the least, they're engaging in some major game playing and time wasting with their customers...It really leaves them open to professional and ethical criticisms.

Well, I'll resubmit my site in a month or so, since it's maybe (who knows?) disappeared in their understaffed, mysterious, ether. I will, from this point on, regard them as a poorly run, unethical, unprofessional group...It's a mystery to me how an organization that has some importance in the internet marketing community could exist and act this way. Oh well, there lots of other directories out there that are ethical and know how to do business responsibly.

shearne, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to point out that DMOZ doesn't regard website owners or their agents to be its customers.

Its customers are surfers and the downstream data users - most of whom appreciate its independence.

jimnoble, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  20. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    dmoz is ridiculous on most counts, but when it comes to submissions they are mostly right.

It's a directory that takes suggestions, not a listing service.

They can't guarantee anything and they shouldn't because it would only waste their time and yours.

Paid links are worthless - Google said so - so that's out.

Nothing really good will happen to you if you get a listing, and nothing bad will happen to you if you don't - so they are not obligated to do anything because it does not matter.

If you are still intent on wasting time - just sign up to be an editor and add your own site. By the time you suggest it, check on it, post in a forum about it, then suggest it again you will have wasted the same amount of time anyway...

winifred gray, Nov 17, 2008 IP