1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take for approval after submit DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ThaiHF, Dec 24, 2007.

1. tech-home

tech-home Guest

Best Answers:
    My first site was added very quick .. haven't had much luck after that though.

tech-home, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  2. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    No more a mystery than why there are hundreds of unanswered threads and questions on this very DigitalPoint bulletin board.

One theory is that the lazy question-answers here on DP are totally corrupt and lazy. Indeed, perhaps we should start an entire forum to rail against them.

Another is that DMOZ is chugging along at a reasonable rate (1000+ extra listings a day) but that leaves many more to be listed and some of those sites' owners get vocal about it.

Either way, it's time DP cleaned up its act, and banned members who are not answering a fixed quota of questions. That'd speed up the process here no end.

dharmarucci, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    try using the search button, this question has been asked a number of times.. :rolleyes:

Brandon Sheley, Jan 9, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All the editors that frequent the place answer the questions Dharma... just that the real answers aren't always what the user wants to hear or in conformance with some conspiracy theory someones bought into.

btw - If you ever do a volunteer gig & someone adopts the tone you used of us in your last post... let us know how you respond. I'd buy tickets to see it. :)

Have a good one. ~rj

robjones, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First question for you towards your quota
    Which questions have not been answered (accepting that we do not do look ups and have made that plain)?

Secondly
    How many times do we keep answering the same question, can we ban anyone asking a question that has ever been asked before? Lazy so and so's can't be bothered to look it up. That is reasonable, isn't it?

Thirdly
    How much volunatary work do you do? (Lazy editors worked even on Christmas Day, If we were paid Ebeneezer Scrouge would not hold a candle to the ODP staff, admins and meta's)

Fourthly
    No questions would be answered if all editors decided only to edit in their spare time and spend the time they do on here watching TV or playing video games. Would your time be more profitably spent actually doing something useful instead of calling hard working editors lazy and corrupt?

Anonymously, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  6. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    Rob and An, I am not making a specific point about DMOZ editors on DigitalPoint being lazy.

I'm pointing out that pretty much all of the volunteer question-answerers on DP are lazy from the perspective of the person who submitted a question and may have waited months for an answer.

Take any DP forum: Yahoo Marketing will do. Sort by the number of replies; and go to the last page. The vast majority of those with zero replies are unanswered questions. One example -- it's been waiting since August 2007:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=452366

In addition, many threads with replies also contain submitted questions that have yet to be answered.

You get my analogy? From the viewpoint of someone submitting questions for which they want an answer, DP is an answering service. And it is a crap one from the viewpoint of those whose questions lie unanswered or unacknowledged for months.

You'd thing one of the lazy corrupt DPers would at least take the time to write to the question submitter and tell them how to reformulate their question so it can be answered. After all, some people are losing money because the lazy, corrupt DPs won't give timely answers.

DP gives crap customer service considered as a question-answering service. Just as DMOZ gives crap customer service considered as a submission reviewing service.

Of course, some may argue that DP is not a question-answering service....But we've all heard that so many times from the self-serving DPers that we can conclude it cannot be true.

Time for DP to clean up its act, using exactly the same remedies they wish DMOZ to apply first. Lead by example, DigitalPoint!

dharmarucci, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Anon, maybe I am reading dharmarucci's tone wrongly, but I sent that instead of critcising the ODP editors, (s)he is actually poking at DP, and using it as an analogy to show why ODP editors are the way they are.

In the same way that DP is a volunteer thing (nobody is getting paid to answer questions on here), the ODP is a volunteer thing (nobody is getting paid to list sites). The demands from posters that the ODP editors should be in some way disciplined for not reviewing sites has a line drawn to it that DP posters should be chastised for not answering every question posed in the forums here.

I think it's a valid point.

Forgive me, dhmarmarucci, if I got your meaning wrong.

Alucard, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I am agreeing that it is not pointed at ODP editors.

Perhaps the analogy you refer to does not really come across, because the posters on the ODP threads taking ODP editors to task are not necessarily the people who could answer the questions the OP wants answered elsewhere on DP. It sounded more like being aimed at DP management and if the OP is trying to make that point the post really should be in the suggestions thread.

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dharma... My error. I misread the point. IMO DP is overall one of the better information gathering and dissemination points on the web for SEO info, but there are a few places it fails miserably to live up to its promise... the ODP forum being chief among them.

The primary reason is that the mods don't clear the room of those that have an axe to grind but little to no information to impart. The answe is when someone tries to take every single thread and swing it to their pet off-topic topic... remove them temporarily. If they do it again, ban them permanently.

robjones, Jan 10, 2008 IP