1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take Alexa to update its stats?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by ginostylz, Apr 26, 2004.

How long does it take Alexa to update its stats? It seems like my Alexa Rankings has not changed much, and it's cache of my website has been the same for over a year.

ginostylz, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    The alexa bot is at most of my sites about every other day, although the cache doesn't seem to update that often. The numeric traffic rating seems to update every day.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  3. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My alexa rank is 279,000. I have a pr7 website that gets 2000 unique's ip's per day. That's like 20,000 hit/day.
    For those that don't know what it is, 1 is the best!
    What does it take to get into the top 100,000? to where I even show up on the graph?

4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe you are asking a mixed question. Alexa's cached copy of your site has nothing to do with it's ranking.

Ranking is a popularity measure based on how often people who use the Alexa toolbar load your site. Nothing more or nothing less.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  5. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    Well what does it take to get into the top 100,000 to ahow up on the graph?

6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Somehow I doubt that your numbers are accurate. My
    www.compar.com site only get about 700 visitors a day and it ranks 124,538 in Alexa.

But remember the people who load your site have to have the Alexa toolbar loaded. This tends to be webmaster etc. So if webmasters are not loading your site then it won't get a high Alexa popularity rating.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  7. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    Yesterdays stats.
    Server Activity Totals for Period:
    Total sessions served : 1962
    Total hits made on server : 26621
    Total page view hits : 6101
    Total non page view hits : 20520
    Total time spent by all sessions : 266342 seconds
    Total bandwidth : 91461.60 kilobytes

I don't market to webmasters though.
    My url is automotivetouchup.com

8. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    If I try to pull up the whole month the server will crash(ok it doesn't crash, just times out), and a week takes a long time to pull up.

9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    So then the question remains. Does your viewer demographic include include the normal distribution of Alexa toolbar users. You could have a 1,000,000 uniques a day and if nobody used the toolbar your Alexa ranking would never reflect it.

In any case why do you care what your Alexa ranking is? Nobody that I know of uses this ranking for anything. It does nothing for your SERP placement. So why do you care?

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  10. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    I suppose bragging rights? I don't know. My main competitor has Alexa rank at around 40,000. I am starting to clober him on the SERPs since florida, and my pr is higher.
    So 40,000 vs 300,000 is a huge gap. We sell identical products, I wonder what he's doing differently? It looks like I am missing out on a huge slice of the pie!

11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the question I keep asking you. What frigging pie?

Set up a script to load your domain while you have the toolbar active 1000 times a day. And make a deal with half a dozen friends to run the same script on their computers. That will push the Alexa ranking up. but what good will it do you?

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  12. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    How else can I compare traffic to my competitor oither than the alexa rank?
    Is there another way to compare my stats to someone elses?
    I feel like I must be missing out on a lot of traffic.
    I have been marketing the same site for years now, and it's no fun to get a top listing I am going after the top two listings in the serp.(search engine results placement)
    But If i'm doing great in serp's, then why is my ranking so low? Is there another market out there that I'm completely missing?

13. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hear you gino. A lot of people hear are PR and SEO gurus. I want traffic. Like a site such as this one, I depend on repeat visits, which added to the new visitors I get increases my Alexa rank. About half of my new visitors come from word of mouth so SEO, while I really want to learn about it, is not my top priority right now. It may be some day however.

The "frigging pie" he is talking about is traffic. If his competitor getting is getting a higher Alexa rank then they are getting more traffic. The people with Alexa toolbar are going to his competitor's site more often. Why wouldn't that be a concern Compar? It's like a poll. If fewer people with an Alexa toolbar are going to his site, then fewer people without a toolbar are also going to his site as well.

Do you have a newletter type service you provide to visitors gino? That helps me. I send out emails to tell people when something is new. It keeps them coming back. Also a forum like this encourages repeat visits.

tsptom, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I just don't think you can be sure of that. The pool of Alexa users is so small, relatively speaking, that I think the results are open to manipulation and abuse.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  15. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, you can't be sure. But why would someone want to manipulate their Alexa rank? I guess one reason would be to impress advertisers.

tsptom, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  16. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    Seo is very easy, the basics anyway, but it is something you should follow if you don't wan't to get left behind. I spen about 1-2 hours per day reading and writing in web forums.
    I think Last year around november "florida" destroyed a lot of sites temporarily. If you read up whats going on, then you can make adjustments there.

17. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    He could be getting (and likely is if he's lower in the serps) less traffic & fewer sales and still have a better Alexa rating than you. The Alexa rating is based on a very, very small % of Internet users. I woudln't worry about Alexa, just keep working on getting better placement for your keywords in the serps.

If you're better in the serps, your competition is missing out on the pie :D

GuyFromChicago, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  18. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll sit of the fence with this one. Yes Alexa might be good for personal satisfaction but unless your audience is webmaster related it isn't of much use. Maybe you can assume that your visitors are roughly the same demographic as you competitors so a comparison can be made.

BUT, don't lose sight of the fact that quality traffic is what you want. You don't need the same amount of traffic if you can convert more visits into sales and maybe, just maybe, you have a higher profit margin as well. Unfortunately not too many competitors are willing to share this information so it is difficult to know if you are doing better.

jarvi, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  19. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Focus on getting higher serps on the right search terms and ensure the way your listings in google display are a way that converts searchers to visitors.

Inside your site focus on conversion - what are the steps (all the little ones in between) someone has to do to make a purchase on your site. If you get 10,000 people to your homepage and only 10 to your purchase page... know what I mean?

Focus on this kind of stuff and you'll make money / get your message out there / whatever your goal is.

Ignore the alexa thing you aren't missing a slice of the pie - you're taking your eye off the ball!

Whenever you read a post from compar the answer you are looking for is usually right there staring you in the eyes right from his post. Re-read his post, get re-focused.

Dominic, May 29, 2004 IP
  20. mycoolworld

mycoolworld Peon

Best Answers:
    It Depends On The No Of Their Toolbars Installed
    More Toolbars = Faster Updates

mycoolworld, Jul 21, 2007 IP