1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long before giving up on a domain?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Patient, Dec 14, 2004.

I have a domain that was performing well in SERPS and had > 100k googlebot visits per month.

In the last 7 days gbot has only visited 17 times and over the past month it has gradually dropped all my pages.

Obviously I have done something g doesn't like.

I am not inclined to give up on the domain partly because I like the domain name and partly because it has 1000's of links.

Have you seen websites treated like this and recover? How long would you give it before giving up on it?

Patient, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Patient, If I liked domain name and had reason for site to exist, as in it was useful to some population, I would not give up. With that many pages you have gone to considerable work.

Could you have been hit with duplicate content penalty? I copied one paragraph from one of my sites onto another and it appears the copied page may be on the way out of index. I had little on the page other than menu, a list of about a dozen items and that paragraph. Have changed paragraph and am waiting to see if that helps.

I hope following advice in your name will pay off.

Shannon

---------
    Eureka, just checked and my page that had no cache and only supplemetal results is back.

Smyrl, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't drop the domain, just take off the spam (Or whatever) and see what happens next.

SEbasic, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  4. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Hi Smyrl

I have heard much mention of the duplicate content filter but have yet to see a single occurrence of it - I find that I can add exact copy pages to my sites and they get indexed OK. However, there is no duplicate content on this site and yes it has genuinely useful (but not unique) content.

I am inclined towards patience but am aware that IF this site has been penalised there may come a time when giving up on it is the only sensible option. But thanks for your encouragement.

Hi SEbasic

Whilst there are many things I have done off-page (buying links, joining coop network etc) there is nothing on-page that could be classed in any way as spam.

Amongst many things that I have done to this site over recent months one of them is dropping its 'original' links (ie those that first got the site indexed) and as far fetched as it seems I do wonder whether this could be the main factor.

However, there are too many possibilities to even contemplate uncovering the real reason for this penalty (if indeed it doesn't recover).

Patient, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  5. Dark_Matter

Dark_Matter Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should do a close examination of the sites you are linking to. If you link to banned or disreputable sites I beleive google might penalize you. Some examples of bad sites to link to are free-for-all links pages or pages with thousands of links. Also, I think too many "unrelated" links might be a bad idea.

Dark_Matter, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    So much of what we read can be classified as "old wives tales" it is hard to know what to believe. I recently read
    • First you see last cached date of 1969 (which I had seen)
    • Next you see no cach and only supplemental results (which I then had)
    • Lastly you are de-indexed for duplicate content. :-(

The list struck terror in my heart for I had two strikes against me. When I looked at page all I could find was the duplicate content issue, hence my change. Google may have viewed page lacked enough content. I do not know. In my estimation page was better before the change but did not want page out of the index.

Will be interested in hearing what happens to this site. About the only way we have to learn is to watch and listen to what has happened to ourselves and others.

Good luck. I know this is terribly frustrating.

Shannon

Smyrl, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  7. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For find out if you have duplicate content listed in Google, use CopyScapes tool here: http://www.copyscape.com/

Great little tool!

NewComputer, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  8. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shannon

Unfortunately 'Old Wives Tales' are so often repeated that it becomes difficult not to be tarnished by them even where your own testing clearly shows them to be untrue. It has been a pleasure to see you in the "long thread" where several such 'myths' are being debunked.

I would love to see more of those kind of threads where a core group of people are willing to cooperate over a long period to rigorously analyse the genuine effects of differing types of changes.

In this case it is frustrating as for the past three months I have been working offline to generate a lot more useful content for this site. This content is now ready to go live but I have delayed the launch to consider whether I should use a different domain name.

Patient, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Wowza, I just found some folks who copied an entire domain of mine and replaced my AdSense ads with theirs.

Thanks for the tip!

Will.Spencer, Dec 15, 2004 IP