1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long before China pass USA?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by gworld, Aug 20, 2005.

?

When will China pass the USA?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2005.
  1. Before 2025

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Between 2025-2050

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. 2050-2100

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Never

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    China's economic boom can't sustain itself. It'll go bust soon enough (a decade or two) much like what happened to the Koreans. South Korea suffered terribly along with most Asian countries in 1997, and it's this crisis that China stepped in to take advantage off. Most of China's massive advances started after 1997. It's not a coincidence.

Will China ever overtake the U.S.? Probably not. Will the U.S. ever fall? Probably. It's anybody's guess who will "overtake" the U.S., if anyone overtakes them at all, or if every country falls into the same level of, I guess, "non-superpower status".

At the moment China is filling its oats, but that won't last. Ask any economist NOT living in Asia and they'll tell you China's current rate of expansion cannot possibly sustain itself. It won't collapse, per se, but it will slow down and take a terrible tumble. Look at what's happened to the Euro, after getting over the Dollar for so long.

Strictly speaking from an economic sense, China can push and push, but they will never overtake the U.S. It's simply a matter of systems -- there are still too many hurdles to doing business in China for it to gain major footholds in the international market.

And really, people still talk about "made in China" goods with a snicker. That's never a good sign.

toocoolforschool, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  2. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point. I have to laugh when non-Americans try to claim some kind of superiority points by pointing to Americans as having a monopoly on the disease of instant gratification. As if half of Europe wasn't constantly cutting down the average work week more and more even as their economies sink further and further. I.e. for all the crap Americans take for bieng "lazy and in need of instant gratification", we probably still work more per week than most of Europe. At least I know we work more than the French.

toocoolforschool, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Of course a kid that just spent their entire life in school is not going to answer, "I can't wait to throw on a suit and slave away the next 50 years of my life for the man!!". That doesn't mean that this generation is lazy. ;) Every single one of my friends is super motivated and 75% of them own their own businesses.

ViciousSummer, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  4. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree there are too many lazy ass kids these days that do nothing but watch tv and play games , instead of socializing and getting exercise.

But I also think the world is to mixed up in "working hard" that people never really get a chance to just be free.... you spend your entire childhood/teen years in high school.. when you get out your pressured to go directly into college, where you get all sorts of big loans (on top of a car loan for those who dont have rich parents)... you spend 2-4 years in college and as soon as you get out your forced to go directly into some job, b/c you have all these huge loans to pay off. Then you buy a house and spend your entire life just trying to pay bills... I envy the european work week... and all the holidays...

yo-yo, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  5. digimania

digimania Peon

Best Answers:
    We can't really tell an exact time frame here--but as Globalization continues to grow and China invading the International Market wihth enough protection and support on their own economy it won't be impossible for them to level with or even surpass US economic status.

digimania, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  6. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I’d say that is the exception not the norm.

Generally like-minded individuals are attracted to each other. Look at DP. About 80% of the people here are here because they have site(s) they are trying to promote (either their own or a company’s they work for). They are mostly self-starter type of people. They, also, know several similar types of people. Their attitudes are a lot different then if you went to a mostly teen or college forum.

I’m not saying that every college and high school kid is lazy or unmotivated, but I think the work ethic level of “generation Y” as a whole is significantly lower then it has been in prior generations.

Maybe a large part of it is just more of a sense of self-empowerment that is labeled as laziness.

Hodgedup, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  7. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the United Corporations of America driven by the instant gratification generation!

I think Shawn is very likely to get his wish of more lazy people. In fact I'm convinved he will. However, I have to wonder if our land of opportunity will still exist to take advantage of it. :/

noppid, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  8. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I don't think China will become the next superpower (but i could be wrong) but the thing to remember is that no empire lasts forever, so America will eventually be surpassed by another country.

relixx, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  9. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Never, the USA prob compile the stats and set the requirements, if Chana made more Nukes they would base the world super-power-ness scale on average weight of a countries citizens or something. or nothing.

We all know England is the world super power, more specifically the south east of England, more specifically Berkshire, more specifically Maidenhead, more specifically my shead with its gateway to the "other side"

Critters, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  10. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    People did say you have a big head, but how big is it really?!?!!?

:eek:

:D

debunked, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  11. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I think the people that will be working hard in the future are those who didn't grow up on their mommy and daddies money. People who didnt have all the luxories of the rich. Once you are in that kind of enviorment you already think you have it, so theres nothing worth working towards. Then they realized in the real world that it is not as easy as it was when a kid, and they are screwed. I think the hard workers will be those who grew up in a tougher enviorment.

ForgottenCreature, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  12. kthor

kthor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    China will overtake the US in terms of Economic might when they learn how to develop
    there own Technology instead of just copying them. Righ now they are just trying to startup with that which would probably take a few decades depending on how much they spend on R&D..

kthor, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  13. kthor

kthor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Health of nations are measure by way of government able to pay for it's debt.
    the US since it's independence from the UK have only manage an economic surplus like 50 years out of over 230 years. it'd actually nice if the dollar
    gets weaker compare to other currencie because that would mean that
    our made is USA products would be cheaper to buy outside of the USA and be attractive to foreign buyers.

I think that book been around a while- I seem to remember that from when I was 12 years old (ya I started my business
    career when I was 12.)

""The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $40,100. In this market-oriented economy, private individuals and business firms make most of the decisions, and the federal and state governments buy needed goods and services predominantly in the private marketplace. US business firms enjoy considerably greater flexibility than their counterparts in Western Europe and Japan in decisions to expand capital plant, to lay off surplus workers, and to develop new products.""

kthor, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  14. kthor

kthor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    one more thing, if and when people in the US learns how to buy our made in the USA
    products, then our debts will lower.

look at Germany, they have like 11% unemployment rate, but they still commands
    a huge trade surpluses. why? people buy local made products and such.

kthor, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  15. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    You cant just say, yea China will take over in 20 years time. Its much more complex than that. You actually need much more information just to make a prediction. Who knows, we will have to wait and see.

mightyb, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  16. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

HOdge...the same thing is pretty much said about every generation.

Don't you remember the whole Gen X slacker thing? There was the exact same sentiment about our generation ten years ago, yet what I see now is that my friends are more successful AND happier than my parents and their friends ever were. Pretty much everyone I know around my age avoided the traditional career route, did lots of extended travelling, jumped through several different jobs, etc...but they're all getting what they want (some of them retiring at the age of 40).

I'm all for people freewheeling their way and exploring stuff before settling into work. Life is too short to spend 40 years of your life stuck in a cube. :rolleyes:

Dreamshop, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  17. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think to some extent it's probably been true every generation as a whole.

I do agree with people need to enjoy life and have a good balance.

I guess this new generation just needs a little more time so that everyone can see what they're going to do or not going to do.

I mean look at all those hard workers from our grandparent's generation. They're not doing much right now.

Hodgedup, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  18. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

Not necessarily....it's really all about passion and dedication. If people find something that inspires them they're often driven to succeed regardless of whatever their background was.

My s/o and his friends all grew up in fairly stable and affluent homes. They weren't crazy rich, but they all had comfortable lives (nice homes, private school, good colleges, etc) and parents that never got divorced. Unlike myself they DIDN'T have to work while in highschool or college...that was all taken care of for them. They're some of the most successful people I know right now and they all work in the game industry doing stuff they love to do. :cool:

Dreamshop, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  19. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a recent BBC story for you Yanks to chew on:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4172504.stm

Some notable excepts:

Willy, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You don't get it. They don't need science, they have the Bible, plus more and more of them have started to speak directly with God (at least 3 on this forum) who knows everything. :D

gworld, Aug 24, 2005 IP