1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How is Duck Duck Go for you?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by SlingFile, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. localhost8080

localhost8080 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried with DDG, but its just not there yet, it nearly is, but it doesnt return the results I need yet ( neither does bing, but it is rapidly changing )

localhost8080, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  2. thexyz

thexyz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    DDG has one of the best privacy policies I've seen, I love this too: http://donttrack.us I installed it but could not keep using it as my main search bar. I kept the plugin so I still get results for it.

thexyz, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  3. JithinC

JithinC Member

Best Answers:
    DuckDuckGo have been a search engine that i use frequently after once i found out something like this exist. Along with all of those options in other effective search engines DuckDuckGo offers some additional features too.

1) First thing you will note about DuckDuckGo - its not paginated. The results are not arranged in pages makes easy for searcher to scroll down for better matching results

2) First thing you should understand about DuckDuckGo - Is the privacy that it offers. Read its privacy policy to know how they vows to keep Web searches absolutely private

3) First thing you find helpful with DuckDuckGo - Is its much effective "zero-click info" that provide instant answers for your queries with out entering any website

JithinC, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  4. Jedineka

Jedineka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I heard about it but it is hard to get rid of old habbits, to change the natural instinct of searching on G. Maybe, one day, i will give it a try. Maybe...

Jedineka, Apr 10, 2014 IP
  5. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using it for quite a while now and like DDG. I still revert over to the evil that is Google once in a while, but most of the time DDG satisfies my search. I've just noticed a small problem with my search listings there though, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I don't have many pages indexed by DDG, but out of the ones I do, about half of them are not using my metadata for page title or description. Instead, they simply use Newsletter for the page title, and for the description it just uses the brief text from my newsletter signup box, which appears on almost every page. It would appear that it is completely ignoring the metadata on the pages. I've already written unique titles, descriptions and keywords, yet they are not being used.

Has anyone else noticed this, and more importantly, does anyone have a solution to fix it?

Foxxy, Apr 11, 2014 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It is a weak effort by Yandex to create some kind of additional competition to Google.

Why does ddg have to have a duck as their logo? Isn't it already clear that duckduckgo has some connotation to ducks?

It's sad that Bing Ads is using ddg as one of their syndicated partners when, all along, it's not taken seriously by the majority of online users... At least not yet.

qwikad.com, Apr 11, 2014 IP
  7. Tedel

Tedel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DuckDuckGo has been my primery search engine for a long while now. There are very few things that make me use other search engine at the moment. I am pretty satisfied with the quality of the results.

I added the duckling's search bar on my site (similar to Googles Custom Search Engine service). That helped me got indexed faster.

Tedel, Apr 11, 2014 IP
  8. JithinC

JithinC Member

Best Answers:
    No pages, thats great

JithinC, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  9. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe they use Bing results but update it to their liking. Besides they have a number of nice user friendly features. Privacy being one of them.

jeff123, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  10. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had posted on their forum about my problem. They gave me an ambiguous response that basically just said that their data comes from over 100 sources, and once it has been corrected in the source it will also be corrected in DDG. I searched fairly exhaustively on other search engines and never saw anything other than myself. No one else (or at least that I could find) was using that title or description, so I'm not sure what this mystery source could be.

Even at that, it's kind of lame that they don't have enough control over their own search engine to correct bad listings. It seems that they are left completely at the mercy of information provided by unidentified 3rd parties.

Foxxy, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  11. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never used it myself but I get a small amount of traffic from it sometimes.

quiz, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard of it, only as some of the linux OS I use, has come with that as set as the default search engine. I have used it, and within minutes I have had enough of it and end up setting up google as the default search engine. Seriously, I found it utterly useless.

But who knows, maybe its slightly improved since the last time I tried.
    Personally I would not worry about it simply as not enough people use it to be of any concern. With google, people actually say "google it"... you cant really say "duck duck go it"....

Here is a company meeting at the duck duck go office:

Ok, probly not.... but to me the name is a joke, duckduckgo might become popular, but more popular as a joke, rather then as a serious search engine.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    matt_62, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    now that you have been been trained to say "google it"
    maybe you can get google to suck your d#$% now....
    and trust me, when you get f$%^ by google...
    you dont even get a thank-you....

:)

dscurlock, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  14. maddenitrous

maddenitrous Member

Best Answers:
    Heard about it few years ago, I never used it though.

maddenitrous, Oct 3, 2014 IP
  15. dadaas

dadaas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I place it as my homepage, but i use google to say you the truth, reason is because when you search specific stuff duckduckgo cant find them.

dadaas, Oct 3, 2014 IP
  16. Kevin Tran

Kevin Tran Member

Best Answers:
    I use both Google and DuckDuckGo

Kevin Tran, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  17. Scorpion Ghost

Scorpion Ghost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I first heard about DuckDuckGo at the time when the Anonymous thing was going on.

From what I know, the Anonymous guys (or some of them) were actually using DuckDuckGo as their primary search engine, because it's safe.

I don't use it, but I have a good opinion about it simply because it doesn't invade people's privacy at all.

Scorpion Ghost, Oct 6, 2014 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.