1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How INDIAN Writers Can Earn Big Bucks?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Fem, Jul 5, 2010.

1. freelancer1980

freelancer1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all those really useful replies. Some more questions though.

I understood that one can choose to write on one's areas of interest. So say I want to write on sports, religion, social issues, education and technology, how do I start and find specific clients who want articles on these areas?

Are there clients that consider short stories, publish them online and pay the writer?

Also many members in this thread are of the opinion that one should not under quote and should not give away articles for free. But when one starts off, how does one know how much one is worth and what the quote should be?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    freelancer1980, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  2. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course there are.

However, in the long run it would be better for your to find them yourselves for two simple reasons:

(i) It'll expose you to the online freelancing market and provides you with a platform to quickly acquaint yourself with the indutry
    (ii) It will assist you in developing a more rounded skill set, considering that you will have to search, shortlist and approach these sites on your own, and interact with them through trial and error,

Alternatively, you could always google for freelancing jobsite, which are a dime in a dozen these days.

atreides, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  3. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    FREELANCE 1980 THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION, YET VERY EASY TO ANSWER.

IF YOU FOOL AROUND ALL YOUR LIVE WRITING WHAT YOU WANT, YOU MIGHT AS WELL FIND ANOTHER JOB. You are looking for a happy meal.

You are not looking at this as a business, would McDonald's survive if they only sold the Happy Meal, large fries with no drinks or anything else?

If you are looking for money, you must look for the industries that pay they most to find a new client. If some makes at least $500 per client, then $50 per article is logical

dyadvisor, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  4. freelancer1980

freelancer1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    @Atreides,

Thanks buddy.

Dyadvisor,

Thanks for the advice, probably you are right, but I am not willing to write what I don't enjoy. If that does not work out for me, fine enough, but I will try. I am looking for a motivation to write on topics I enjoy. If the motivation is money, I do not mind.

My job role is that of business manager, so I get your example on McDonalds. But McDonalds is in the fast food business(FMCG sector) and writing is essentially a service, so this may not be the best example in our discussion. From my experience, service industries need to focus on specializations and specific target groups to start with. So in business terms we can say that I want to do this business with a focus on niche markets within my areas of specialization and do not want to diversify as of now.

As someone said in this thread, the content writing industry is still not well organized. When it becomes so, my speculation is that content writing companies would target customers in terms of business verticals. One company would provide only high quality technology content (say) in the telecom domain and another would provide high quality business content in the healthcare domain.

This would lead to good quality of content, standardization of rates, strong domain knowledge and brand names within domains and sectors.

PS: - Given the fact that you are probably a successful and experienced professional writer, I believe you should be a role model for others, so the language can be little bit more professional. We all have our goals and purposes in life and they need not be the same, does not mean others are fooling around. :)

Just a request, please do not take it otherwise.

5. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    *rolls eyes* As usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

Simply by going straight to those sources. Contact editors of such magazines, along with websites in those areas.

Go to Magazines.com, to look at all the magazines you can write for.

Your best bet is to start off by writing for their websites.

To get you going, read the blog entry A Great Source of Hidden Writing Gigs Revealed on http://www.makealivingwriting.com/

Well of course!

Writers who "specialize" in just one area make very good money.

Usually it's the editors and the webmasters who will tell you how much they will pay. It can range from five cents on up to three dollars a word.

Perry Rose, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  6. freelancer1980

freelancer1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Perry...now let me try doing what members have advised. Would let you know the results. :)

7. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Also look into becoming a syndicated writer. That's where the big money is.

Start small, and work your way up.

Good luck with it.

Perry Rose, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Freelancer 1980 I think you missed my analogy completely. If you were successful, you would get the thrill of a personal challenge. Why do people that do not make enough money, bring up the topic of money? As self defense. Starting at age 18 I never worked for money, I worked for the challenge and excitement of achievement. Then challenging myself for a higher level. It automatically glowed through in my work. The money automatically came as a result. I could sell an article about selling snow to Eskimos and get highly paid.

My challenge is still there, (even though my fingers are disabled) and no one has ever taken me up. $250 for most effective article with the loser donating to a starving child foundation in any country.

Sure it could be syndicated publications, and there are 100 professional service industries that I could name. But to land the position you must have proof of your abilities. You cannot have the job come to you. In low price jobs, it is not a matter of accepting a price. You might very well bid on a job but have the credentials to back it up. Publications, syndicates, and professional service occupations all provide challenging writing jobs.

You cannot be close minded in your thinking of personal satisfaction. To a quality writer, satisfaction is writing the best they can, even if the topic is something they previously knew little about.

You call yourself a freelancer. In fact EzineArticles as of last week no longer allows a freelancer by name to promote an article for someone else. Higher up, you will use your own name, or become a ghostwriter.

dyadvisor, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As much as I agree with you on most parts I have to state that what you taught me caused exactly that: The jobs are coming to me not the other way around.

Sheesh, now that sounds weird, it's like complimenting you, while disagreeing :D

Kraven2, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  10. freelancer1980

freelancer1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dyadvisor,

Thanks for your insights.

Just to clarify, I do NOT expect the job to come to me, but I am clear on what I want to write.

freelancer1980, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  11. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    freelancer 1980

That is certainly your right, but you are on the wrong post. To remind you the topic is: How do Indian Writers Make BIG BUCKS ?

That is the response that I, Perry, and Kraven have all given to you. Unless your writing is so top notch you can make writing an on and off job. But it you are looking for a career it helps to be more open minded. The thrill becomes the challenge within to each time do a better job. Neither of them specialize in just a couple topics.

As for myself I made my wealth, and give business away

dyadvisor, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  12. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! save this thread boys and girls, because this line I quoted is rare and most likely will never be used again :)

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  13. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi All,
    The Mission Impossible has now become [almost] possible. When I started the thread, the only intention was to get some clues on "How to make some big bucks as An INDIAN writer", and I got more than enough info, secret strategies and life changing lessons. The plan was to setup an ebook but I was compelled [unconsciously] to give it as a free report. The report is almost completed and I'll give to all those who are interested in it, more suggestions are always welcome though.

Fem, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One suggestion would be to let me link to it from QWF :)

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  15. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great initiative Fem. I really appreciate your giving it away freely. I would also refer some writers I know who'd like to have the free report. In fact, if you'd be willing to send it over to me, I myself would like to have a read.

WebBuddy, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    While you're sending copies *raises paw*

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  17. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let me have the final touch - you people will have it tomorrow [Don't forget to PM your email ids please!]

......LET YOU!

- You & dyAdvisor are the 2 souls that could make a real impact, a mental metamorphosis that swept all my plans away, giving birth to even a brighter one.

@Confused_Freelancer : You will have a copy [even] if you are [NOT] interested..lolz. But I will look forward to your suggestions, for you are one among the GREAT writers who represent INDIA here on DP.

Thanks

Fem, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Consider yourself PM'ed :D

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  19. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, by all means I am interested. I am from India but I am by no stretch of imagination "Great". Pls don't make heroes out of mere mortals. LOLs.

Will PM you right away. Thanks!

WebBuddy, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  20. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know it seems that there are many members here that posted on this thread and they all have the same feeling toward making money. Does it truly matter what country you come from? NO! What does matter is your willingness to learn and how you implement what you do learn. Some people say that the English language is the hardest to learn. Maybe it is, but I feel that if you put your mind to it, anyone can learn to write properly so it becomes readable. Better yet, by following a simple little program anyone can make decent green.

gvannorman, Jul 20, 2010 IP