1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I took my directory from ranked 2,000,000 to 27,000 in Alexa in 3 days

Discussion in 'Directories' started by edbri871, Jul 27, 2007.

As some of you know, I have recently launched my new PR 4 directory just 3 days ago. Being a webmaster of dozens of sites for over 7 years now, I have come to learn a lot about promotion.

The number one rule I follow is "Launch your site with a bang". Thats exactly what I did.
    - In the last 3 days I have spent upwards of $6000 on promotion on my directory - http://TotalPosters.com.
    -The first places I promoted were the top spots at the big bid directorys.
    - Next I added to a majority of the High PR paid directorys (will add more soon). - I then outsourced some work to some guys who worked for me over the years from India who went on to submit manually to over 600 directories in the last 3 days.
    - Next I promoted it on my PR 5 Money making Forum, ranked 7700th in Alexa, as well as my other extremely popular site Filesharingtalk, which is a forum as well
    - My next step was to buy links in related blogs and blog reviews at several sites

My philosophy is to go big if you are going to go at all. You can't just be satisfied with a few days of success, ultimately consistency is what drives success.

Feel free to chime in and give me any pointers to continue the success of my directory.

Brian

edbri871, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    khushal likes this.
  2. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now a small but a valuable suggestion after a great achievment would be to get your site a Custom Skin,that will multiply your profit which is going to pour in in the coming days:)

khushal, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. edbri871

edbri871 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually thats on our list. Our designer which usually does this stuff is working on some other projects we have had. Look for a custom design and possibly script within a month.

4. lilylidou

lilylidou Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing.
    But I don't have so many money.
    I expect a way need little money

lilylidou, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  5. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:

I totally agree with khushal. You need a new skin bigtime. This is all too popular and very basic looking with no unique character or branding to identify with.

If someone comes across your sites several times it will not look as if they have landed on a site they recognise or have visited before. It will just look as though they have landed on one of many sites that are all indentical.

Change that quick and let the money pour in and fill your pockets.

Look forward to the new skin.

Much success.

vicdigi, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. khushal

Best Answers:
    Best of luck in the campaign!!! Although ALEXA is still showing a 7 figure ranking for your site but i can clearly see the BOOM in the Graph;)

Never knew its a 7 years old site , was just browsing through the archives of the WBM and found this
    Welcome to the Total Posters Web Theatre!
    Like our name says, we have movie posters ...

BEst of luck though!

khushal, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  7. edbri871

edbri871 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No the site is about 3 years old not 7 years. I've been working online for 7 years I meant :)

8. Madmurphy

Madmurphy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Could the big boom in Alexa been because of all the people you had with Alexa toolbar going on your site and than submitting it to other directories?

I mean ab Alexa rank is not that accurate on how well your site is doing since only a small number of people use it.

Madmurphy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. khushal

Best Answers:
    khushal, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  10. cleve1

cleve1 Peon

Best Answers:
    edbri871 has been online for 7 yrs and not the site..

Thanks for the advice edbri871 . I hope it also works for my new dir. Its not even a month old. Have you thought of using ppc.?

cleve1, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Again an great example of "Does money matter " ? lol .

What else can i say ?

paidhosting, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  12. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think with respect you have put the cart well before the horse, the site looks like one of many and having looked at your bidders your promotion has been a complete failure

You need a new quality skin and complete re-think on how you spend your next 6,000USD

But hey lots of luck to you if you are investing heavily and spending a large amount of time promoting your Directory

Just think of it this way a high Alexa ranking is going to impress no one, but a site with lots of known Directories on your home bidding page will have an impact :)

Think smart, think quality, think step by step, think to impress folks with your steady growth, think how can I become a player.

Think about opening Threads that are less sensational especially when the OP title is referring to a lost cause ie Alexa, learn how to sit side by side with Quality Directories who use solid marketing techniques

Market astutely with thought around the core business you are in, Alexa has little or no impact on the Directory vertical, be more focused

With the amount of money you are investing I know 20+ guys here on DP who would have made a bigger impact on investing 6,000 USD not only that they would have made the investment with no huff and puff and edgy OP Threads

Move with stealth and acumen and then when you are established 'you can make some noise'

We are investing over 25,000USD in one new Directory and we will keep it under wraps for until we are ready to make some 'Sizzle'

Good luck but invest wisely, you can lose investment money very quickly if invested unwisely, get the Directory set up right with new skin and great features etc before you invest the next 6,000 USD :)

britishguy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    YMC and silencer like this.
  13. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like your putting forth the effort so I just submitted to your site. Thanks!

swedal, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  14. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    for someone who have 7 years of experience and know so much about marketing and promotion atleast you should have choosen a good domain name for your directory before spending 6k in the promotion :rolleyes: because a Posters domain name (this website used to sell posters before, i remember it from sitepoint) is not suitable for a web directory :cool:, this name will not help you have a Brandable and strong Image for your directory.

also, very bad timing to spend 6k on links, am almost sure that the links that you got from bigweblinks and other directories will not help your PR for this update. you will have to wait another 4 months to see some results. just be careful when and where you invest your money :)

anyway i wish you good luck for your project!

funkymario, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the two quotes above, I would have said it a little nicer than funky though.

As britishguy said Alexa does not mean much and does not impress most folks around here.

A much wiser way of starting this project IMO would have been to do a real soft opening building backlinks slowly and steady with little fan-fair until I had a unique skin and the basics set up. Then you can start pouring fuel on, why spend a bundle to get someone out to see a site that looks just like all the other run-of-the-mill sites out there?

Anyways, this business is quite unique and your previous experience will help but that alone won't make you successful in the directory industry, there is still some learning to be done.

On a side note, I did see your site once but the last few times I tried (just now too) it does not load for me.

jg123, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  16. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i really didnt mean to be rude at all:), am a french native speaker, this is the way we talk in france :D, on the contrary am impressed that he invested 6k in 3 days, there is just a few mistakes he did that may be costly in the long run, like the domain name, timing, Design..

funkymario, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  17. rajanforums

rajanforums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Huge investment upfront. Good luck for your directory. I am offering directory submission service. In my opinion alexa rank does not matter much. people don't see your alexa rank only thing they see is page rank. So try to invest more in pr than in alexa. Best of luck!

rajanforums, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  18. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is good to see that your one day avg. was 27,545, but you will only prove yourself if you maintain that level and make your 3 month average to be tht number which is right now at 3,195,853.

It is great to see that you have invested a good amount in your site and i wish you all the best with your project.

smub, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  19. bwtm77

bwtm77 Active Member

Best Answers:

True , i also see a 7 figure ranking for is Alexa ranking. How comes then your site has climbed till that ranking?

bwtm77, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  20. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    $6,000 blown in 3 days = stupidly impressive.

NRLMedia, Jul 27, 2007 IP