1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I Made $40,000 In 3 Months As A Newbie Writer

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Synnuh, Jan 24, 2016.

Let me start by saying I'm no longer a writer. I don't offer writing services, and I have nothing to sell you. This is a story about how I made $40,000 in 3 months as a newbie writer.

There are a lot of people curious about whether freelance writing is a legitimate opportunity, if it's still viable in today's landscape, and if you can actually make any kind of money doing it.

The answer to all of those questions, in short, is yes. You can make money writing for other people, and make a lot of money. The entire internet is based around content. It's like asking if cars still need oil changes. They'll always need oil changes.

Follow along with me for a few minutes and I'll show you how I made $40,000 in 3 months. And I won't ask you for a thing.

When I first got started in 2007, I began researching ways to bring customers into a PC repair business I wanted to start. This led me to stumbling on a dude that called himself "Grizz" and lived in the Canadian mountains at a fishing lodge. Whoever the guy really is, he opened the door to me learning about SEO, and I'm forever grateful. I digress.

Grizz taught me how to write content on small websites and rank them in the search engines. He also recommended a guy who was running a program called "The Keyword Academy" which turned out to be huge for me. Inside of this program was a private forum (exactly like the one's you're already using!) that I used to communicate with other members.

At the time, I was an assistant manager at a furniture store, making damn-near minimum wage, and hating just about every aspect of my job. I knew that I needed to get out, but couldn't really find the opportunities to do it.. Thankfully, The Keyword Academy opened up a services subforum that gave me a spot to advertise my writing services for a fee.

Like today, in 2007 SEO was incredibly slow. Even if it was simple, it took a couple weeks, at least, to see results. This waiting period led me to testing a lot of different things.

I would relay those tests back into the forums, helping other people out whenever I got the chance. These interactions kept me in front of people, who were also able to see that I could provide them content.

One of the tests that were ran was through a service called "Unique Article Wizard". This service allowed you to take 3 similar articles and combine them together into one legible article that could then be shot across the internet 100's of times, or more. After using this service, people would quickly hate writing because it was so tedious. That was my opportunity.

I created a service that would write 3 articles and include the spinning syntax that Unique Article Wizard needed to turn them into one article for only $20. This was a bargain because the best deal you could get for UAW packages on the internet was $15 each, and they were put together by writers with poor grammar and a grasp on the English language.

Members of The Keyword Academy began eating these article packs up. They couldn't get enough -- neither could I. Especially since I was still waiting on my first check from AdSense. It took almost 6 months for me to receive my first $100 from them. This waiting period is where I took advantage of being able to churn out so many articles for other people.

Once I got my first PayPal payment, I went to work the next day and turned in my 2 week notice. I hated everything about my job, and was already sold on living the "digital lifestyle" so I knew I wanted out.

Already having money in my PayPal account meant that what I was doing was legitimate, even if everybody around me talked trash about doing SEO and ranking websites to make money.

Over the course of the next 3 months, I brought in more than $40,000 in payments for UAW article packs, and other writing and SEO services. It wasn't easy, by any means. The stars aligned to give me an avenue to bring in customers (The Keyword Academy Services Forum) and I was fortunate enough to see the opportunity and capitalize on it.

It took a lot of hard work to make that much money. I had my back against the wall because my daughter was less than a year old, and I'd just given up a cushy (even if it was painful to show up) job to chase a dream that nobody around me believed in. Thankfully, I believed in myself enough to run with the opportunity.

After 4 months of churning out content, I was beginning to become burned out. The tests that I had run before I actually quit my job were beginning to payoff, and I saw $1,000+ AdSense checks coming my way within a few month's time. I knew that I could stop writing for other people, and transition into running my affiliate marketing business.

I cherry picked three clients who, together, gave me $2,000 a month in work as a security blanket and told the rest that I could no longer write for them. This was only possible because I took care of every single customer, like they were the life blood to my future -- because they were.

I reinvested the income back into my business, took on a business partner, and began growing my portfolio. The huge strengths I had were the ability to turn out large amounts of content, offer it at a price that was competitive, under-promise, and over-deliver, and be responsible enough with the money to put it back into my business instead of blowing it.

What I Would Do Differently Today?

Not a damn thing. I'd jump onto popular forums and put a link in my signature to an advertising thread where my services were listed.

I would specialize in one type of content, or focus on one specific type of customer, and target them as heavily as I could.

I would provide as much valuable information to the forum as I possibly could, while using each post as a personal advertisement towards the level of writing quality the customer would be getting. The law of reciprocity, or giving without asking for anything in return.

I would protect my reputation as a writer at all costs, and not take on every job that comes my way -- only jobs that interest me and paid my standard rate or better.

I wouldn't work 18-24 hours per day, and instead split the $40,000 workload over the course of a year -- after all, you're working for yourself, from home. It doesn't get much better.

Ok, I lied. One thing I would do differently is create digital products that could be sold, such as eBooks, and text based tutorials / courses and market my site along side my services instead of spamming 450+ sites, but that's hind sight.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Get in front of the people, where the people are, and let them know you're a competent writer. You'll have more work than you can handle, even in today's digital landscape.

You've got thousands of customers waiting for you, right here, who will gladly pay your rates.

--------------------------------------

Just so it's clear, this isn't an advertising thread. I don't offer writing services.

Synnuh, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  2. Gavin77

Gavin77 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great post, what types of industries and companies were paying you the most for your content?

Gavin77, Jan 31, 2016 IP
  3. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't give you a like,..... That is how content writer work...

robyries, Jan 31, 2016 IP
    wordplucker likes this.
  4. dojodesign

dojodesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Love your story and thank you for sharing it. I earn a living online as a web designer, but your story makes great sense and it's an example that there's a lot of money to be made in a specialty that's not really known for high-paying jobs. Kudos to you for what you achieved so far ;)

dojodesign, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  5. csaba viasz

csaba viasz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello I wish to make 40000 in 3 moths. I managed to make $4.000 in 38 days so far ! If anyone would like to follow me and copy my system I am happy to help! http://mypayads.build/
    I am interested to make more money but I can do slowly and slowly I believe I will be make $1.000 a day soon but I need learn more .

csaba viasz, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  6. beninbro

beninbro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a powerful testimony. Thanks for opening up and sharing that with us.

beninbro, Oct 11, 2016 IP
  7. Bernard Mark

Bernard Mark Member

Best Answers:
    Above all, whoever wants such testimony should be ready to stay strong and never give up, especially at the start, there might be many obstacles and at a point you will wonder if you will ever have the same story, just be persistent and keep on keeping on, your pay day is nigh. This testimony is motivational.
    Thanks for sharing‎

Bernard Mark, Oct 11, 2016 IP
  8. Laura Trostel

Laura Trostel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree it is motivational. And I think it shows how persistence pays off. If you know what you want and go for it - things will pay off for you. In the beginning of anything you can face those walls and obstacles but it is the idea of that ability to work for ourselves and create the business and life we want that keeps us going.

Laura Trostel, Oct 12, 2016 IP
  9. alexanderovic

alexanderovic Peon

Best Answers:
    i had a good experience too with social trading , i have making more than 11$ in a single Month , if anyone want to know what i have been doing it-s simple i have sing in and the website give 100 usd for free , then you can start trading or inviting friends in my case only inviting friends , you to you can do it , about trading its not complicated at all only copy Tradderes who seems they earn money , anyway if anyone want to see how : http:// bit.ly/2dfxQ0L

alexanderovic, Oct 12, 2016 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A well experienced writer will earn that amount of money or more in 3 months but i don't see a newbie earning that because it will take time and experience to be established on the field.

KylieSweet, Oct 13, 2016 IP
  11. Hamza-chtaikii

Hamza-chtaikii Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How i can make money from this site ????

Hamza-chtaikii, Oct 13, 2016 IP
  12. dpac852

dpac852 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @robyries
    Are you a writer as well?

I appreciate OP sharing the story. Thank you.

dpac852, Oct 31, 2016 IP