1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I can do that :(

Discussion in 'C#' started by redbaron, Aug 16, 2006.

I am using asp and my links always "default.asp?id=101&cat=15"
    but I want to learn how this html page creat like
    www.domain.com/relevant-link-exchange-forum/37376-new-asp-reciprocal-link-exchange-script.html ?

redbaron, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  2. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mod rewrite maybe?

There are topics about it here on DP

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  3. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Use the HTTP404 error, I have some info on it in the DP describing how it may work

ludwig, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  4. redbaron

redbaron Member

Best Answers:
    ludwig can you show me please where in DP I couldn't find the post :(

5. dddougal

dddougal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You use modrewrite, you need access to the .htaccess file on your server.

dddougal, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  6. redbaron

redbaron Member

Best Answers:
    I am using ASP. There isn't ".htaccess" file in asp

7. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    ludwig, how do you find search engines to react to 404 redirects? In my experience with playing around with 404 error string manipulation - i found that google was able to detect that the page was not there and treated it as if it were a bad link. Of course this has been a few years back now - and google has no doubt changed a lot since then - but i did have one site just drop out of google almost entirely when i did the 404 redirect trick on it. Do you find that google picks it up fine these days?

just curious - i might revisit it on a test site just to see if you feel that it's viable in today's SE market.

later tater

vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  8. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi again guys,

Well VG, I think you are right about 404 error, what about 301? I think the big G treats it good enough to consider as a webmaster redirect. So, I can have them as follows: there are 2 main ways

Create as many pages as you need with a HTTP 301 redirect to lets say:
    default.asp?id=101&cat=15

Is as I said the 404, don't think there is any other way. Yes in PHP its mode rewrite, but in ASP I think the best solution is 404.asp file :)
    You create false links on your site, lets say we-are-here.html
    When the URL is not found the browser is redirected to your 404.asp file (you should set it up from your IIS or hosting company's control panel)
    then your 404.asp file acts as follows:
    1. it gets the URL (we-are-here.html)
    2. Find the match for it from your DB
    3. shows the user default.asp?id=101&cat=15

The URL of the browser stays as it is but actually your 404.asp which is an error page shows what you need under any-type-of-url.htm :)

Hope I explained the case clearly. I read it on some website don't remember where, but I am not sure if there is a better solution with ASP

ludwig, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  9. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    agreed. i've tried out isapi rewrite, url rewrite, and others (cant recall specific names) which either want you to set a global .htaccess type file (by global i mean applied to ALL websites on a server) or pay for the full version which lets you have unique rewrite ability on the directory and domain level. Seems like ASP devs are always gettin the shaft don't it? apache and php offers so many free options - it's very frustrating. microsoft DIRELY needs to build some sort of .htaccess patch for IIS, they're really missing the boat on this one IMHO.

It's enough to make a seasoned sailor want to jump ship and hop aboard the U. S. S. Apache and start braving the deep, dark waters of the PHP sea... ugh

vectorgraphx

10. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well I think the new .NEt hould have most of the errors of ASP covered, but unfortunataly the thing is that only 5000 programmers at microsoft decide what type of programming you should use,

and then in a year or so, they get drunk and decide to change the whole programming language of ASP or .NET

How much is ASP changed when it reached ASPX :) its like a PHPASPC#VBSCRIPT in other words, sucks

ludwig, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  11. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    no doubt. i actually have an easier time with PHP than i do with asp.net 2.0, and that's just sad.

12. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just write your own HTTPHandler, this is exactly what you want & is really easy.

Even easier (if you are not storing info in sessions), just write your redirect code in the Application_BeginRequest event and use HttpContext.Current.RewritePath

Why people are suggesting Apache solutions when the guy said he used ASP is beyond me.

BurgerKing, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  13. Mano70

Mano70 Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't use 301 redirects or something like that in combination with a custom 404. I have done custom 404 for a couple of years. If Google were threating your custom 404 as bad links you are doing things wrongly. You don't have to write a HTTPHandler or use sessions.

As an example, my latest custom 404 driven site:
    http://www.strictlycss.com

Mano70, Aug 28, 2006 IP