1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How hard is Joomla to learn?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by theplastickid, Aug 23, 2009.

1. karan_ultimate

karan_ultimate Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is better and best ... I m learning it in details from last two days.. 4 chapters i have finished. It will take sometime to learn full. Its really easy and powerfully useful.

karan_ultimate, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  2. centarec

centarec Member

Best Answers:
    Never used WP before, however Joomla works good for me. Sometimes it can be painful working with it but in general I think it is fine.

centarec, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  3. Motelsex

Motelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    Plastic Kid ... i was much like you .. designing in html and css - struggling to get the jobs done in time due to the amount of work involved ... and i finally made the switch to joomla and have loved every single second of it since.
    ... the hours .. no .. the 'days and days' it has saved me is alone, worth every second learning it.

Conceptually, it's very easy - it all makes perfect logical sense... heck, they even have script installers for some MAJOR plug ins and add-ons that would have normally taken a few days (or even weeks) to setup and install on your own ... HUGE !!! ...
    ... but for me?... i start falling behind once the php and database talk starts - it's the technical end that i found to have trouble with from time to time...

... the good news is... there are many brilliant joomla guys out here and they are willing to help for a reasonable price when need be... sometimes, it helps to manage your time better and let someone who knows better - excel at what they excel at, and let you excel at what you excel at... better time management

... i know i got off topic a bit, but the point was, not only is joomla within the grasp of learning for us regular, run of the mill, html guys :) - like myself - but being open source, and the great community of developers out there willing to make things work and/or just answer questions on boards like this, for me - is the best and only way to go...
    ... i have learned so much from everybody here and a few other great forums, that i am grateful for what they have helped me to learn in Joomla.

Good luck... hope you get the same fulfillment i have

Motelsex, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  4. theplastickid

theplastickid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have almost finished building my first Joomla site, once it goes live I'll post it up for everyone here so you can let me know what you all think of it :)

theplastickid, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  5. eskenaas

eskenaas Peon

Best Answers:
    i didnt even need to learn joomla it looked very straight foward for me

eskenaas, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  6. Motelsex

Motelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla 'kind of' IS that straightforward... but there's a lot more to it.
    Setting up and positioning modules and components and plug ins... that's where all the fun is. (not to mention implementing all your own personal code and snippets)

Have you ever seen a joomla template up for download - and when u install it - it doesn't exactly look like the demo?
    That's because of the all the extra's - the modules, components and plug ins haven't been setup and installed

..and again - YES - Joomla IS that easy, but also NOT that easy.
    ... best way i can put it.

Motelsex, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  7. randpropz

randpropz Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla is not hard to learn. If you download the package, you can see the instruction manual.
    visit it's official forum for support!

randpropz, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  8. PinkieBoyz

PinkieBoyz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    just try it..
    start from localhost using xampp or other..
    I think 1 or 2 days is enough to understand it :D

PinkieBoyz, Oct 9, 2009 IP
  9. Law-Dude

Law-Dude Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is Joomla particularly vulnerable to hacking? I was thinking of expanding from just writing a blog to having a couple Joomla-based sites, but this comment worries me.

Law-Dude, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  10. Kurtis

Kurtis Peon

Best Answers:
    A Joomla application provides you load of features which can be used to design any type of website. But if you are designing a website for big companies and organizations which require advanced features which is not included in the basic Joomla package then you can use Joomla's powerful application framework which makes it easy for a web master to create a sophisticated website with state of the art add-on features.

Kurtis, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  11. 0k0

0k0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience, every tool/software is little hard at the beginning. But the real problems are starting when something custom should be used and you can't find it in your software. You're starting some workarounds and after some time you got stuck. Than the real problems start, at least for me :)

0k0, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  12. Danish01

Danish01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Joomla is not that kind of difficult it easy if you cleared your basics steps and also depend on you how much you passion it about them?

Danish01, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  13. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Joomla is way easier to learn than drupal and slightly harder than wordpress :)

sambling, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  14. Best Web Solution

Best Web Solution Guest

Best Answers:
    I do believe that learning joomla is not too complex. You can get help from thousands of video tutorial.

After starting with simple customization, then you can go with complex code level tasks.

And there are many joomla tutorial site. Those will be also helpful. But its really tough to develop joomla extension. For this, core level coding experience is needed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Best Web Solution, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  15. Agent89

Agent89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually started with Joomla before Wordpress became so much more popular.

It's not hard to learn...it's not as easy as Wordpress but it's still pretty intuitive.

Agent89, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  16. HavenX

HavenX Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is that easier than wordpress it will take some time because but can be easy to understand once you know it's functions.

HavenX, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  17. lamvt

lamvt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomquery D O T C O M Joomla video tutorials, Joomla free templates
    Huong dan su dung joomla

lamvt, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  18. Jain Prince

Jain Prince Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla is good to learn and you can watch videos on YOUTUBE

Jain Prince, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  19. ukfish1

ukfish1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is a very powerful CMS system and as such, learning every element can take some time and effort - it's definitely worth it though. Having said that, it's pretty easy to learn a few basics and get a site up and running pretty quickly.

ukfish1, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  20. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Basics of joomla are simple to learn, just study a good book or tutorial but if you want to do something more you must still learn a lot. Like someone said before the best way to learn it its practice, practice and practice. In practice you face all problems you must solve. Then you can look for solution in forums and in internet.

richardm55, Feb 10, 2013 IP