1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How hard is Joomla to learn?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by theplastickid, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not good at PHP or MySql. I can write the minimum
    code in PHP and none at all in Mysql and I use Joomla every day.

Blue Star Ent., Aug 29, 2009 IP
  2. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla, relative the the amount of power it delivers, is easier to learn than comparable CMS. That is, comparing it to other CMS platforms based on MVC/Application Framework (i.e., Drupal, Typo3, etc.). Of course, any strong platform has a learning curve, period. But, considering the over 3,000 extensions readily available, and that its internal syntax isn't really that terribly difficult, Joomla is overall, at least IMHO, the easiest CMS that is extensible and allows you room to grow.

I purposefully exclude WordPress from this comparison as it is still emerging as a traditional CMS in its own right. Once WordPress does make it there, it will be VERY interesting to revisit this issue. ;)

Bratzilla, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  3. Luc

Luc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, 2 days is realistic. Then there are the thousands of extensions to choose from, but that's a luxury problem.

Luc, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  4. william.crl

william.crl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it`s a little complex... but it worth

william.crl, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  5. ElitePrime

ElitePrime Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow lol, that means I'm really slow in learning joomla, I can't even figure out how to create a menu. But then again I only watched two confusing tutorial half asleep.
    Also what are the categories and sections for. I just want a simple info base site with a member forums is that possible with joomla?

ElitePrime, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  6. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, what you want is very possible.

A word of advice.

DO NOT get into the menus trap!

I RARELY do too much more with menus than to have top-level items that link to my components. Sad, but true. :( . I like my sanity, and when you get into nested menu items, you will find yourself pulling out large clumps of hair if you aren't careful.

Joomla has a two-level hierarchy with respect to its native content system (i.e., things stored in or that otherwise reference the Joomla #__content table). Sections are the top-level division for Joomla's native article system. Sections contain categories. Categories themselves contain articles. At least that's how I keep it straight. :).

That is why many complain about Joomla's inability to cross-post or reference internally - it only has effectively two native hierarchies. You can get around this with extensions like K2, however.

A menu in Joomla is typically linked to something. The MOST common things to link in Joomla are native items (sections, categories and articles) and components (that is, things that render in what you'd call the "main body" or page of the site). You can link to a section, a category or a single article. Upon installation, you can link to a component as well. Some components have multiple menu options that are built into it, and you can then select what you wish.

THE main site menu is typically, you guessed it, Main Menu. A typical Joomla installation comes with many additional menu types, such as Top Menu and User Menu. If you choose to make additional menus, you would do so by making a copy of one of the existing menu types. I usually advise against this unless you truly need it and know what you're doing, else you could end up going through the looking glass, if you get my meaning. ;)

Let's take installing a forum, for example. You would, through the Joomla administrator, install your forum component. Then, you would navigate to Main Menu (usually) and then select "New". You'll then see the new menu item window. On the left, you'll see a list of options. Look for "Internal Link". This is where internal linkable Joomla items are listed. You should see your freshly installed forum in that list, as well as Articles and anything else in Joomla that allows for a menu link. Click on the forum component name (i.e., Kunena, Agora, whatever).

For some components, you may get a whole sublist of other stuff. This "stuff" represents additional options. Usually, you want to select the "main" component view (you know, what you want your visitors to see when they go to the forum). Click on what you want, and you'll be taken to a second screen where you fill in the details and save the link.

This is of course the mile-high overview of how its done, but those are the basic menu steps. It takes a minute to get used to (I'm still adjusting to 1.5 from version 1.0) but you'll get the hang of it. :)

Bratzilla, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  7. theplastickid

theplastickid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very useful info Bratzilla.

I have been working through a couple of tutorials over the past few days. I am learning a lot. I am in the process of learning how to create and upload my own templates which was my main goal. I'll let you know how I get on with this.

theplastickid, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  8. NiTS.In

NiTS.In Peon

Best Answers:
    1.5/5
    Actually it's a perfect example of how a cms should be laid out. I found Wordpress quite hard to learn, since it wasn't so generic, maybe it's because how Joomla's layout resembles that of Windows.

NiTS.In, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  9. Kurtis

Kurtis Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

There is a very simple step by step system for making the best of your Joomla content management. Joomla is the ultimate content management system. It offers flexibility that other web development systems just don't offer. With this flexibility and power Joomla offers it can often be overwhelming for the new or intermediate web developer.

Kurtis, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  10. kaori234

kaori234 Peon

Best Answers:
    you can open in joomla.org

or many joomla forums out there :)

kaori234, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  11. theplastickid

Best Answers:
    I've been following some tutorial videos for the last few days. I am getting my head around it but only just it is quite confussing for someone who has never used it before. I pretty much grash the basics of how to use it and the settings themselves. Just struggling with customizing it with your own themes. How modules effect my layout confuss me :confused:

theplastickid, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  12. BW1

BW1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is very easy to learn, the best thing is if your webhosting allows it you can have it installed, upload a template and throw on some content all within a very short period of time.

BW1, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  13. softwaremisle

softwaremisle Guest

Best Answers:
    with all the help, forums ,etc out there. it is very easy to learn. Plus you get help hints just by hovering over the "i" buttons

softwaremisle, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  14. Sir Rusty

Sir Rusty Guest

Best Answers:
    Agree'd I want to use Joomla so bad >_<!
    But, it is so complicated I give up and use Wordpress, too. :eek:

Sir Rusty, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  15. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sir Rusty, dont give up ! Joomla is worth the little "extra" you
    have to learn, believe me it is.

Blue Star Ent., Sep 8, 2009 IP
  16. extraspecial

extraspecial Member

Best Answers:
    well its actually not hard, but it may look complicated if you use for the first time... I can create a Joomla site (20 pages) in 10-15 min when contents are ready... what you need is to buy a subscription @ a Joomla Template Club and learn quickly how to use it :)

extraspecial, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  17. theplastickid

Best Answers:
    Yeah like they said, don't give up on it. I find some bits hard, but I am using every day now and understanding more and more.

theplastickid, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  18. shuman202

shuman202 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i'm reading joomla for dummies and all i need i found it in that book

shuman202, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  19. scandore8472

scandore8472 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a joomla site for about 2 years now, and it's really easy. I'm not really a true coder, but even modifying modules (plugins) is fairly simple if you need to.

scandore8472, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  20. barattadesign

barattadesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I moved from Wordpress to Joomla about 3 and half years ago because I found Wordpress to be a bit boring. I wanted more of a complete website system. Joomla worked for me and I found it fairly easy after putting in several weeks of 8 hours a day. (Now up to thousands of hours put in)

Recently I started using Wordpress 2.84 + and found that Wordpress has changed a bit and is more like a CMS. What it really comes down to with both Joomla and Wordpress is the themes and templates. That is what has changed in Wordpress to get my attention was the templates and how they now work with 'Widgets'.

But after using Joomla for over 3 years I find it much easier and way more powerful to extend. It is a bit harder now to spot a Wordpress site due to the advanced plugins and themes available but Joomla can look better quicker! :)

barattadesign, Sep 19, 2009 IP