1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How good is a dmoz listing?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DotMeBroker, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Italianhawk

Italianhawk Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. The only effect it has on pagerank is the amount of linkjuice passed from dmoz or yahoo directories to your site which is no more or less than any other site with their pr. I'm not even sure why sequake, or whatever that plugin I'm thinking you and I both use, includes that in the information. Maybe to show quality of a site or something I don't know.

As far as DMOZ goes, it's not going to be as amazing as you think it is. Why are you so concerned with your listing? Is a dmoz listing really worth that much more than a traditional high pr backlink? If you ask me no. Sure, it's definitely worth filling out the form, once, and just waiting. It's not going to hurt you if it's denied. Just submit it and forget it. If you're listed, congrats, if you're not, well, there's likely something with your site that makes it appear spammy to the editors and possibly your visitors too. Quit worrying about whether or not you're listed and get back to work building normal backlinks.

Italianhawk, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  2. Alexandros1

Alexandros1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Truth is that getting your website listed in DMOZ is not an easy task. Thousands of listing requests are daily denied by DMOZ servers because many people don't follow the DMOZ guidelines before submission. GotoSubmit.com has a lot of expertise in DMOZ listing services.

Alexandros1, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  3. BB-OM

BB-OM Member

Best Answers:
    It is a great way to inflate the number of back-links from good directories.
    Many top directories including Google populate data from the open directory project. So it is a great possibility of getting link benefit as well high on SERP with some traffic from these directories as well. There are many benefits you see...

BB-OM, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I do read all the nay-sayers saying a link in DMOZ is not worth much and I have been inclined to agree, as its just another link.

BUT, I had a site listed in DMOZ - its was ranked ~7-8th in Google; for whatever reason it was removed from DMOZ --> dropped to 19th in Google - that happened about 6 months ago; last week I noticed its back in DMOZ and is now back to 9th in Google ... coincidence? maybe? maybe not?

Agent000, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  5. kizp07

kizp07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive got sites listed in dmoz, it just took a couple months,..Submit and forget. AND yes i rank on the first page for a *smaller niche* with less than 100 links and dmoz is one of them.

kizp07, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  6. muiomuio

muiomuio Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know DMOZ policy on their editors. I Applied for a very small and specific category that had no editor. I have +5y experience in the subject area of the category, which is specific to a language, and I got a message saying I was rejected.

Now from the user side, I have one of the most popular blogs in my country on the niche. The blog will be 4yo in October and on the meanwhile I see other blogs and websites getting accepted in my category. Sites with less than 1 year.

So I simply given up trying to get a website listed on DMOZ. It seems there is no coherence managing the directory.

muiomuio, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There does not have to be, because if they want it, all they need to do is change the meaning of the word to suit their own purposes. Thats what they've done with other words...

Besides, they are volunteers, that means they don't really have to do anything, they just can if they want to...which would include the guidelines if you are checking out editor posts around digital point, or looking over the directory itself.

All in all, there is no higher power then the ODP within the ODP, and they do not like anyone from the outside looking in, so your criticism goes unheard and unheeded. I'd say issue a complain with AOL, but no editors are willing to point you in the right direction for that.... in fact, the non-coherence managing editors of the ODP have gone a step further by breaking the contact editor function. Now there is NO means of communication with the ODP, unless you count their blog...but they don't approve actual comments there, they would rather OK 'site status' questions then actual debate or even conversation...

So here is all ya got I guess... so I guess don't bother, it's a waste of time (trust me, I've been trying here for years, lol)

Qryztufre, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  8. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I think you might have answered your own question. One of the key requirements of being an editor is being able to follow the guidelines:
    By "trying" I assume this means you submitted more than once? Why did you do that for? When you submit you agree to only submit once ... if you can't follow the guidelines as a submitter, what sort of editor would you have made?

Agent000, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  9. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't let it get you down. Keep in mind that those additions may not have been submitted but rather found by an editor. It's been suggested that many editors don't look through the submissions very often.

CReed, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are editors for that category, just not named there. A name on a category means the limit of that editors privileges to edit and they can edit in any category below the named one.

But do believe that most editors have to try more than once to be accepted. Do not believe that experience or knowledge of a category is the ONLY qualification you require. We need editors who can follow guidelines. Did you check carefully the sites you offered, title, description, grammar, correctness for the category? Some times a category is seen as being too small for an editor to work, also sometimes people see what is a small category but it has substantial sub categories and that will not be given to anew editor.

You say you got a message saying that you were rejected, but little more information. Sometimes they tell people NOT to re-apply, if that was not part of your email, then do what most of the rest of us had to do and re-apply. I have nothing to do with editor applications, but from what I see, hear and read we do not accept editors ONLY on knowledg however much we need editors, one has to complete a good application form too. So why wait write another one and maybe when you are accepted you will find out what really happened to your own blog.

Anonymously, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    She is completely correct in this. What she is saying is that all of those categories out there that have not been updated in YEARS is due to there being HUNDREDS of editors with access to said category. Why wasn't it updated? Well, maybe an editor will come in and give some reason or another. But truth be told... it's likely because while hundreds of editors CAN edit there, those same hundreds have positively NO desire too. Which is a point often left out when bring things up of this matter. So way to go being misleading there Anon.

How good is the link within a category that only gets updated once every two years?
    Well, how often do ya think bots bother to check those old and out-dated pages? It could be MONTHS and MONTHS before even the fastest of search engines bother... so maybe people here could answer the actual question themselves.

Qryztufre, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or maybe just no time to. We get around to as many as we can and as many as we volunteer to edit. But all categories do have editors and just because people are actually named in categories does not mean that the category is regularly worked. Like my stamp collection, I never do much in Outer Mongolia.

Anonymously, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  13. tutug

tutug Peon

Best Answers:
    There must be an advantage when you are part of some best things.

tutug, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No time too? No desire too? What really is the difference there? None, right... the category HAS an editor and that's the important thing... much more important then whether or not any one actually edits there. Right? Its good to know that the ODP is watching out for it's own... the end user, but allowing categories to site idle for years with suggestions in queue. I know eventually some one will get to them, once they have the time *rolls eyes* maybe in another two years?

Qryztufre, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  15. bankruptcyonly

bankruptcyonly Peon

Best Answers:
    dmoz has good pr

bankruptcyonly, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has HORRIBLE Public Relations! lol

As for Page Rank, there are several categories with PR0 so really it depends on where & what you are talking about.

Qryztufre, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  17. Matt Faro

Matt Faro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have 1 site listed iin DMOZ but on a low pagerank page within the DMOZ directory structure. It has made very little difference except for a few backlinks from directories which use copies of the DMOZ database (I have other sites not listed which have far better pagerank and search engine performance). If you can get your site submitted to a high pagerank DMOZ page with a few outgoing links this would be beneficial.

Personally I wouldn't waste much effort with DMOZ, although the insults from the DMOZ editors on the DMOZ Community Forum to those who break the DMOZ Submission Guidelines are often quite funny.

Matt Faro, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    How do you think those who deliberatly break the guidelines that they agree that they have read and understood when they submit a site and then complain should be treated?

Agent000, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Certainly much worse then an editor that deliberately break the guidelines then remains an editor!

Qryztufre, Aug 11, 2010 IP