1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How good is a dmoz listing?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DotMeBroker, Jun 21, 2010.

1. .TIEU

.TIEU Peon

Best Answers:
    True, just like another high page rank backlink. No point in having your hopes up for something amazing, just submit and wait.

.TIEU, Jun 24, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No point in getting your hopes for that either... don't submit & wait, submit and FORGET!

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2010 IP
  3. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should bookmark your above comment and come back to it a year from now when you're not so naive and see if you still feel the same way. ;)

CReed, Jun 24, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a high page rank link.

It's a pretty worthless link no matter how "high" in the directory structure.

For SEO, the value of the link is negligible, if it even exists.

For traffic, the value can be measured empirically: ZERO.

helleborine, Jun 26, 2010 IP
  5. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's as worthless as having the keywords in the domain name, as a google exact word match.

The two major directories to be belong to are 1) dmoz or 2) yahoo directory. How google algorhythms view directories is up to debate - but there is zero debate about the value of a dmoz listing.

11114444, Jun 26, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    When you search how often do you see either directory pop up? When using google, how do you actually FIND their DMOZ clone? When you check their DMOZ clone, which I guess is SUPER VALUABLE, why does it sometimes take over a year for them to bother updating it? When using google, how often is duplicate content added? How many clones does the ODP have? The list goes on & on & on, and MANY sites NOT listed in DMOZ have far better SERP an PR then those that ARE listed... so yes, there is zero debate about the value of a dmoz listing.

You should also keep in mind that at one time in the google help files it actually said to submit your site to the ODP... that suggestion is now GONE. That should say a lot in and of itself.

Qryztufre, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  7. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre - I'll let you be content with your views. If I were to post proof via a simple 3rd party, objective expert on the matter - it would make you think twice; assuming you are reasonable and accept facts to draw conclusions.

If I did that, however, would not be beneficial to me in any way. So please continue to think how you do. :)

11114444, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Erm, yeah! Big Talk, so be to be even, If I were to post proof via a simple 3rd party, objective expert on the matter - it would make you think twice; assuming you are reasonable and accept facts to draw conclusions.

If I did that, however, would not be beneficial to me in any way. So please continue to think how you do. :)

:D

Anyone can make great claims, but to state there is more to something and ellude to proof that is not forth coming, is generally an indication that the poster has no such proof and is just trying to bluff his/her way into making other readers think they are better and bigger then they really are.

So seriously, answer a few of my questions, then go ask your experts to do the same...

Qryztufre, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  9. nielsenj

nielsenj Peon

Best Answers:
    @ 11114444: Could you please elaborate on why a DMOZ listing is so useful that you would play $1000 for it? I got in for free with no traffic and no noticeable difference in search engine positions to show for it. I would also like to know which data you have based your conclusions on. I cannot find the two sites in your signature in the dmoz directory. So your conclusion must be based on something else.

nielsenj, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  10. pradeep.onlineinfo

pradeep.onlineinfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is one of the famous directory site, every site owner want to publish their site in dmoz, but actually it takes time to add our site in dmoz. But after adding our site in dmoz we can get back link and also good traffic to our website. which is very useful in seo point of view.

pradeep.onlineinfo, Jun 29, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  11. dipen2711

dipen2711 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have many sites that I have submitted to Dmoz way back...but none of them are approved so far....:(

dipen2711, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  12. meganbase

meganbase Peon

Best Answers:
    Authority, PR, Relevancy, is whatDMOZ all about i think

meganbase, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Authority? In whos eyes? Google recently removed their suggest that you submit to the ODP... so if they used to be "it" it left.

PR? Several pages on DMOZ don't have any or don't have much. It's overall PR has dropped. Several pages that have been listed have shown NO change in their own PR. So come again?

Relevancy? Sure, I guess... assuming the category you are listed in stays updated. Failing that it can quickly turn into a linkfarm type category full of stolen pages and altered content.

Is it a bad link? Of course not... there are no bad links... but just how good it is has been clouded by what once was.

Qryztufre, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  14. Michaelcar

Michaelcar Peon

Best Answers:
    So adside from follow their submission guidlines is there any other way to get a listiing, maybe by being a volunteer editor???

Michaelcar, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  15. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its always good to get a link in DMOZ but even if your website is not listed, you shouldn't be too bothered about it.

Ibn Juferi, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  16. Wulkan91

Wulkan91 Member

Best Answers:
    A single directory wont affect your site in any way.
    Try getting over 100 quality backlinks and you will start seeing results.

Wulkan91, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Becoming an editor is a way, but as JimNoble said recently on here the Meta editors, of which he was one for many years and sadly missed as one now, who review applications are pretty good at sniffing out self serving applicants.

Anonymously, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  18. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look up my old posts from a few years ago, comparing DMOZ page PR vs. PR of sites hosted by page. I don't recall all the numbers, but there were some PR6 DMOZ pages containing sites with PR 0... That's the minimum "boost" that you could possibly ascribe to a DMOZ link from a PR 6 DMOZ page: ZERO PR. None.

helleborine, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  19. benazir123

benazir123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz: its is unforgettable

benazir123, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  20. jNorth

jNorth Peon

Best Answers:
    I just hope my competitors keep trying to get in. I like to imagine them spending hours a day fretting over it.

jNorth, Jul 23, 2010 IP