1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How exactly to use dedicated server to host a website?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by alkacinema, Dec 27, 2011.

Hi guys,

I'm familiar with sharing host, but very confused about dedicated server.

I've read that dedicated server is having a server by your own.

So once your dedicated server is set up, you would be able to host your own website within your own pc?

Do they have cpanel like a share hosting?

How do we upload files to the server?

Actually, I'm not even sure what to ask since I have no idea how a dedicated server work, and how it is connected to a website.

Any ideas about dedicated server would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alan,

alkacinema, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Alan,

If you have to ask those questions, you aren't ready for an unmanaged dedicated server. I don't mean that in a bad way, but you are going to run into nothing but headaches, trying to maintain the server, security updates, security in general, etc. on your own if you don't have the knowledge to do it. Most unmanaged servers come partitioned with the operating system, and that's it. You need to install and configure everything else. An unmanaged provider is not going to help you with support issues either (generally) unless it's a server hardware issue or network issue. That is...you break something on the server, you fix it yourself, unless it's a hardware or network issue. :)

One option would be to go with a managed provider, in which the provider should set everything up for you, but that will come at a higher price for the server.

cPanel is available for dedicated servers, and in fact that's how hosting companies sell cPanel hosting. They own dedicated servers with cPanel or any other control panel. cPanel will certainly help you with the maintenance of a server. Usually costs around $30 extra per month for cPanel.

WSWD, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  3. PanosZ

PanosZ Member

Best Answers:
    It is true.I will suggest you managed dedicated.You must have some skills to manage it on your own.

PanosZ, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  4. 0ccul7

0ccul7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should know how to use a panel, say cPanel or Kloxo and also ftp clients. It is the same process as in a VPS, but in a whole lot of a bigger way

0ccul7, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  5. PISG

PISG Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend managed server.
    What is your budget? You need about 150 USD/Month.

PISG, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  6. stach14

stach14 Peon

Best Answers:
    No you will not be hosting your site within your own PC with a dedicated server. A dedicated server is a full server you will rent/lease/whateveryouwanttocallit from a hosting company. You will have the ability to load you sites to it and run off the dedicated server. The server is all yours and nobody else "shares" it. As mentioned above if you are looking at getting a dedicated, I would definately suggest going with a managed server based on your questions. My next question is do you have a need for a dedicated server? Were you told by your shared provider you need to upgrade to dedicated? Or are you just researching dedicated servers for your own knowledge?

It is a a large jump going from shared hosting to a dedicated server. You will have a ton more resources (RAM, CPU, Disk Space, etc) and a larger monthly bill. So before you make this jump if that is what you are asking for, do your research and ask more questions about what you currently have and look at upgrading options.

stach14, Dec 28, 2011 IP