1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does the geograophic location fo server affect the websites speed?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by rohan_shenoy, Aug 16, 2008.

Hi guyz,
    Can you please help me with this?

I am setting up a website primarily for users from INDIA. So which is the better server location for me? India or some server in US?

How shall it affect the loading times, esp since I am using AJAX applications. I want to minimize the waiting period for the user.
    How significant( or insignificant) shall be the difference?

Thank you
    -Rohan

rohan_shenoy, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  2. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It simple as saying, the farther the server, the farther data as to travel to reach the final user.

If you had a server in your home versus a server at the other end of the world, you would have more server and router to reach before final destination.

Camay123, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  3. rohan_shenoy

rohan_shenoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^ I can understand that but I need to know how significant(or insignificant) will the difference be?
    Perhaps I should have made my self a lil bit more clear.

rohan_shenoy, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  4. Dave Parish

Dave Parish Peon

Best Answers:
    You are completely clear in your question. There are a myriad of different factors. You are most likely not going to find datacenters in India like you would find in the USA or Europe. If you do happen to find one, check out what kind of bandwidth they utilize, what kind of hardware they use, check for uptime stats, check up / download speeds. If you have 3 different bandwidth providers in India for resedintial and business use, find a way to test from each of the providers to get an accurate picture what it's really going to be like for the people that use your services. If you find that you have a milli second or two higher ping time in the USA but pay $100 or $200 less for the server then it's not really in your best interest to buy in India. Most data centers host servers for people in almost every country,

Dave Parish, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  5. nimhost

nimhost Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^

well i'm not agree 100% with you
    at my country here on Indonesia if you use server in Indonesia that's mean visitor from outside of Indonesia will get slower connection depend with visitor which came from inside

why that happened because the price for international bandwidth still high
    it's about take about $1300 for 1Mbps dedicated CIR 1:1 Fiber Optic

that's why any dedicated server provider from my country will only allocated about 128 shared 1:4 international connection for each server they sell

nimhost, Aug 17, 2008 IP