1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does one find a "real" and "quality" writer?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by MrSandMan, May 12, 2008.

sorry if this post comes off bitter, but I've hired dozens of writers that I found in 'Content Creation' on Digital Point, and none could live up to my standards. I could go on and on about how many failures that I've hired... but I just want to know how and where to find a 'real' writer that can start and finish without me holding their hand.

I'm looking for a copywriter that can research, construct words to be personal to the reader, and can make content that HUGE cooperate websites will link to.

Recently, roadrunner records linked to my site. This caused a boost in my new site, and other websites started linking to me because the roadrunner records featured my article on their home page. Then online Magazine companies started featuring my site. It went wide-spread in took off like wild fire in less than 5hrs.

If I can do this, then I'm sure there are quality writers out there that can even increase my chances more. Howe do we find them?

MrSandMan, May 12, 2008 IP
  2. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    MrSandMan - The problem that you are experiencing is one that many share. As a full-time freelance writer, I do not spend a lot of my time on the content creation forum. Although you may be able to find a good writer, many of them are looking for a quick buck and nothing more. Personally, I think that the best way to find a good writer is to ask others in your industry who they use. This can be clients, associates, etc. The more people you talk to the more connections you will make.

KeywordsandCopy, May 12, 2008 IP
  3. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    I still use the Content Creation forum to find jobs but I'm pretty picky about who I will PM. That forum is equally frustrating for writers. I can't tell you how many people have called me unprofessional or overpriced because I wouldn't write a 1000 word article for $1 or do twelve 500 word samples for free.

I feel your frustration though!

Perhaps you should try following Keyn'Copy's advice and ask people who they've used. I'm sure there are plenty of people here in this forum who would be happy to reccommend someone to you if you were to PM them and ask nicely :) Good luck!

snarke, May 12, 2008 IP
  4. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I am embarrassed to say this but I didn't know there was a content creation forum. Or maybe I took a look and wasn't inspired.

I just wrote a blog post recently defining the different writers. So I guess I'm wondering if you're hiring the right kind of writers. Web copywriters is what I think you are looking for. But just to be sure, I'm posting this link. Defining who you want will help you isolate the person with the right skills. I will be writing a blog on what to look for and how to work with a writer. But I'm a bit swamped and have some deadlines to meet.

Defining the different kinds of writers.

webgal, May 12, 2008 IP
  5. TerrificContent

TerrificContent Peon

Best Answers:
    It's sad but unfortunately true that many in the content creation forums are simply there to make $5 here and there. Granted, there are some quality writers residing in that forum, but the vast majority of them are unprofessional and won't put forth the research necessary to construct quality articles. Real writers are hard to find, but if you look around and do a bit of research yourself, you'll find them.

TerrificContent, May 12, 2008 IP
  6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on whether your standards can be justified by your budget. If you're hiring $5 / article writers, your scenario isn't surprising in the slightest. If you're paying more, but finding them by posting gigs in the Content Creation section, it's quite possible you're getting bids from both decent writers and all of the new, amateur, non-Native English speaking, or other types of writers who scour it for gigs regularly. Most of the best writers I know here don't go around answering those ads.

Find "real" and "quality" writers through referrals. Ask others who they've used (especially those hiring writers in your niche). Read non-ad posts from the writers. See if they're actually interacting in the community and if they speak reasonably well in a general sense, as opposed to only being here to make a quick buck. Of course look into their portfolios as well. If they don't have one, they're not terribly professional, so they'll be less likely to be up to those "standards" you've set.

jhmattern, May 12, 2008 IP
  7. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    The true writers are right out there in front of you. Go to sites that carry their articles. Contact them.

Perry Rose, May 12, 2008 IP
  8. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the others - quality writers usually won't respond to clients who are looking to only pay a buck or two.

Ask for referrals from people whose opinions you trust, check iTrader ratings if hiring from this forum, read sample clips. It shouldn't be too hard to find a decent writer.

Annea, May 12, 2008 IP
  9. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you do find a writer who fits your needs, don't forget to give clear and complete instructions. Writers are not mind readers, and it will help you get what you are looking for the first time.

Annea, May 12, 2008 IP
  10. naraxshikamaru047

naraxshikamaru047 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyway some who demanding higher rate also not providing very good work.

naraxshikamaru047, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And what are you considering "higher rates?" Not being obscenely low doesn't mean their rates are "high" by any stretch of the imagination.

jhmattern, May 13, 2008 IP
  12. GrayscaleServices

GrayscaleServices Guest

Best Answers:
    A writer can create unique high quality content on a given subject when he or she:

•is knowledgeable in the particular niche (you can ask about his or her educational background);
    •has substantial experience relevant to the niche (you can ask about his or her work experience and previous or current employers);
    •has previous prominent employers who can help prove his or her worth;
    •has materials that can support his or her claims (request for a portfolio and a CV);
    •has above average reading comprehension and analytical skills (ask for a custom sample and send guidelines that include your terms and quality standards as well as the target audience);
    •can clearly relay his or her message in a coherent and comprehensible way (again, the custom sample will help);
    •and is diligent enough to spot and correct even the smallest errors (your email correspondences along with the custom sample will show this).

When we hire researchers, writers, and editors, we screen them by requiring them to take an exam with interesting questions (a few of those questions are listed below).

1. If a hole were drilled from one side of the Earth straight through the other side, would a thousand-pound steel ball go right through if it were thrown into the hole disregarding heat and pressure? *this will help us identify highly speculative individuals from those who aren't up to our standards*

2. In relation to the climate of their respective countries, why are most Western countries richer and more advanced than most of those in tropical regions? *highly analytical people can be identified through this question*

3. In relation to quantum or sub-atomic particles, gravity, and magnetism, how would time travel be possible? *creativity will play a vital role in answering this question*

There are accurate answers to the questions above, but there are no wrong ones. Instead, there are only incomprehensible, irrelevant, or incoherent answers.

Anyway, prepare yourself to cough up some cash for writers who can provide you with unique high quality content since they don't come cheap. These writers don't come in large numbers, so you should pay them right and treat them well. Thanks.

GrayscaleServices, May 13, 2008 IP
  13. CalissaLeigh

CalissaLeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    High rates aren't exclusively a connection with a quality writer. What you should do is make requests to see previously published content in the style that you desire your content to be, instead of focusing on rates.

I consider my rates for online content (about $.10 to $.20 a word) to be on the low end. However, my target buyers are search engine optimization companies, and I also write for newspapers and magazines. So those companies I work with know that my articles will be accepted with higher end websites that post only usable or interesting articles for their readers.

CalissaLeigh, May 13, 2008 IP
  14. CalissaLeigh

CalissaLeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    On another note: I wish more companies I worked with had interesting questions to answer like GreyscaleServices shared in the hiring process. I usually get boring requests like showing previously published content and references.

CalissaLeigh, May 13, 2008 IP
  15. telegraph.hill

telegraph.hill Peon

Best Answers:
    What great questions! Can I answer them just for fun?

1. The ball would eventually settle down at the centre of the earth, though initially it would perform damped oscillations before settling down at the centre, due to its momentum and energy.

2. This is an old chestnut often used to justify colonialism. No reason to think that people in "Western" countries are more advanced than people in warmer, or more tropical, regions. Some great ideas have come out of places like China, and the region around Iraq. It so happens that the Industrial Revolution kicked off in Western Europe, leading to the drive to imperialism.

3. Not entirely sure it is possible, though I have heard that tachyons have been sent back in time.

Do I get the job? :D

Seriously though, if a good writer is what you are after:

1. Get recommendations, as contributors to this forum have already said.

2. Go over their portfolio of clips. Read it carefully. Is this the sort of writing you want? Can the writer handle different styles? Can they be both intelligent and humorous?

3. Does the writer match your needs? Can they produce the type of writing you are looking for?

4. If you have found that great writer, be prepared to pay a good rate for the job. Good writers don't come cheap.

telegraph.hill, May 13, 2008 IP
  16. GrayscaleServices

GrayscaleServices Guest

Best Answers:

Almost... but not quite!

"2. This is an old chestnut often used to justify colonialism. No reason to think that people in "Western" countries are more advanced than people in warmer,
    or more tropical, regions. Some great ideas have come out of places like China, and the region around Iraq. It so happens that the Industrial Revolution
    kicked off in Western Europe, leading to the drive to imperialism."

You were asked to answer the question and not come up with something we think would be another way to tell us that you don't probably know the reason behind climate playing an integral role in the development of a country.

Most Western countries have varying seasons because of the climate in these regions of the world. This instigates planning.

Cold weather makes people engage in long physical activities because they wouldn't want to freeze.

Winter provides people with more free time. Since they've already stocked up food, they can spend more time reading and developing their other skills.

***we apologize if we sound like we're trying to hijack this thread, but we just feel we need to respond***

Moving on, we think a set of unconventional methods would help find quality researchers, writers, or editors apart from the ways we and the other DP members have posted on this thread. This is much like being asked to come up with 3 unconventional yet scientifically accurate ways to measure the height of a building by using a barometer (this question can also be added to the set of questions we had posted).

Conventional ways work, but so-called "researchers", "writers", and "editors" already know how to find ways around such methods. We think injecting fresh and unconventional ways to effective conventional methods of hiring the right people can work wonders for employers.

17. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am reading posts in regards to high rate and that brings me to this question... What is a fair rate for quality work?

EDIT:

I've found authors names in magazines, I was thinking about shooting some of them an email asking to hire them.

MrSandMan, May 13, 2008 IP
  18. GrayscaleServices

GrayscaleServices Guest

Best Answers:
    What's the niche? How about the level of experience and knowledge you need from the writers?

19. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If you're finding them in magazines, you may be able to find out what the magazine typically pays freelancers to give you a rough idea of the type of pay level the writer was willing to accept before. Given, there's a difference between what they might accept from different types of clients (like compromising and taking less if it's a big name publication that would look great in their portfolio), but it would give you some idea at least.

jhmattern, May 13, 2008 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    You may want to reconsider going to magazines, as they pay writers more than you may be willing to spend. That is, if they want the same amount the magazine pays them.

Just a thought.

However, they may go for the idea of allowing them to post their url and a sale pitch at the end of their articles in leu of that.

There are a lot of good writers out there who will write for a site, providing they can put in their url and a sales pitch at the end.

They, including myself, know that x number of articles in x amount of sites out there can add up to a lot of readers. And even a slew of articles that have been published in the sites a year ago will still be read by a lof of people. Look at such sites as Askmen, About, iVillage, Readersdigest, Yahoo.... These sites hold a lot of old articles that are still read to this day.

For me, personally, being able to put in my url and a sales pitch at the end of my articles is fine.

I know that there is too much free stuff out there that webmasters can use, so most will not pay.

I also know that many webmasters cannot afford to keep buying articles, week after week. That is, if that is their plan.

Because of this, they will instead let a writer post his url and a sales pitch for compensation (or, they may do both, pay X amount of dollars for each article, in addition to letting them put in their url).

Because of the reasons above, I and many more writers know that more money can be made doing this anyway.

For the most part that's just the way it is in the www.

Anyway, I guess it is something to think about.

Perry Rose, May 13, 2008 IP