1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does one become a guru?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by johnnyr860, Aug 29, 2014.

I won't mention any names but we all know the top and best of the gurus out there on the Internet who are making thousands of dollars if not millions. Once upon a time these "gurus" were regular Joes just like you and I working a paycheck to paycheck job trying to find out how to make money online and I'm sure many started from the bottom. So my question is how does one become a well known guru making all that money?

Obviously this isn't going to happen overnight I don't expect any sort of big success for at least a few years at the least but I want to know how did the gurus get to where they are? How did they learn what they did? Because I'd love to learn everything from start to finish that they know but I have no clue where to even begin.

johnnyr860, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  2. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Hello johnnyr860!

Actually I’m not a guru, but I have some clients and friends who are real “gurus”. Some of them discussed their whole journey to success. They have tried many things at the start without finding a favorable result, but after doing lots of experiments they found what work well for them. Once you discover what works well for you, you can focus more on that. Then learn more things, try new things etc.

They also told me that they learned from their mistakes. Of course, mistakes happen and we should learn from our mistakes. When it comes to achieving a big goal, it would be fair to set day-to-day goals and complete each small goal one by one. Eventually, this will help you achieve your big goal. For example, if you want to make $100000 in one year, you must set plans to make $10000 every month!

Hope it helps!

pretty10, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a guru though I could play one on TV, I believe. :)

In my experience, having financial success in any business venture (online or offline) depends upon a wide range of variables including knowledge/skills, intelligence, work ethic, luck, etc. Most successful entrepreneurs that I have known were "one-trick ponies" in that they were successful in the business that they were suited for and it was quite clear to me that they would not have been as successful had they been involved different business. So, they were highly specialized "guru's"

Let me mention something else: the real guru's of the business world are NOT selling their secrets in books or videos or anywhere else. The real guru's (and I have known quite a few) tend to be very secretive because they know that if too many other businesspeople began using their secrets to success, it would dilute their ability to do as well as they might do otherwise in their own ventures.

So my advice to you is to pick a business or market that you have interest in and learn as much about it as you can. Try many things; test many things; learn and adapt continuously; keep at it until you "get lucky;" then you, too, might be viewed as a "guru" (and that designation won't matter a bit to you at that point.)

jrbiz, Aug 29, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  4. agmccall

agmccall Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Guru" is a marketing term created by marketers that want to present themselves as the "anti" guru. The guys/gals who want to tell/sell you what the "Guru's" don't want you to know.

al

agmccall, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  5. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    haha well said. You cleared the points in just two lines and I appreciate it.

pretty10, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  6. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've also seen people claim to be gurus (experienced marketers), and I've seen more often people claiming to have secrets the gurus don't want you having. What @agmccall said is true but also some people do claim themselves to be gurus, at least I've seen some.

01123581321345589144, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You instantly become a guru just by saying you are one. If you are looking to become successful in ANYTHING you do I don't think anyone would argue with the following "must haves":

1.) Determination
    2.) Consistency
    3.) Patience
    4.) Time Management
    5.) Goal Oriented
    6.) Work Ethic
    7.) Intelligent Decision Making
    8.) Financial Budget

NetStar, Aug 31, 2014 IP
  8. christian B

christian B Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Same: it's a state of mind. You say/think you are a guru, you are a guru. There will be always someone who will believe you.

Or you can try to be crucified and become the guru of a new religion.

christian B, Aug 31, 2014 IP
  9. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Being a "Guru" does not come from yourself but from those people who acknowledge you with your expertise and experience in the related field.

KylieSweet, Aug 31, 2014 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It comes from yourself. It's self titled and meaningless.

NetStar, Aug 31, 2014 IP
    chinesegirl07 and jrbiz like this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    And, a corollary is if you do self-title yourself as a guru, you clearly are not one.

jrbiz, Sep 1, 2014 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  12. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Experts in various fields are considered experts by news media, other experts and their colleagues. In philosophy, the work is peer reviewed and your build a reputation mostly within the field. Buyers of your lay-mans books who consist of the public, consider you an expert based on your teaching career, where you graduated and the fact you have a best selling book. But the real prestige come from within the family of philosophers.

01123581321345589144, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  13. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a guru. In fact, I am just starting out myself. In order to be a guru you must attain a certain level of success. In order to be successful, find something you do well and enjoying doing and hone your craft. From there, look for opportunities to expand slowly but surely you will be successful.

wheelstb, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  14. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I mean is being a "GURU" is not a "self-proclaimed" but those people who acknowledge your experience and professionalism in the field. :)

KylieSweet, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  15. JPaul1977

JPaul1977 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you just start saying you and if people believe you or not, LOL.

JPaul1977, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  16. chocoholic1122

chocoholic1122 Member

Best Answers:
    I opened my very first site when i had just $9, that was one year ago, i earned $60 in the first month. Then i invested that $60 again and earned $250 in the next month, i invested $250, and earned $500 in the next month. I invested $500, and earned $1000 in the next month.

I then left every thing cos of my studies, i had enough to pay my fee for one year.

Now when i have come back, and ask guys here to invest $1000 with me, and i gurantee them profit of $10,000 in less than three months, they laugh at me.

There are some things which one should understand in order to be successful:

1)...Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. I earned $5 after working for six months, i invested that $5 and lost it. I again earned $9 in the next month and again invested it, i got success.

2)...Do not quit. I failed again and again in that 7 months time. But i kept trying till i come to know what works and what doesn't.

3)...First learn the rules of the game. And then come out to show the world the best player they have ever seen.

4)...Don't expect that any one wold tell you their secret formula. They found it after great effort, and they won't share it with you.

5)...Do what you enjoy, and do what you are more experienced in.

chocoholic1122, Sep 1, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why can't you start again with $60 and earn $250? If you can do this and show me the proof, then I'll surely invest in your venture.:)

bluestar, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  18. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People do this all the time....quite easily too... However the real challenge is being able to take your earnings and create a larger profit with it.

NetStar, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  19. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Apart from all the common points mentioned, a true guru would have been mentored by a guru at some point in time.

Ethan Alvin, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  20. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    same here. I'm willing to invest if you can show us some proofs.

Ethan Alvin, Sep 2, 2014 IP