1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does a site like Facebook become so big?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by fatabbot, Oct 27, 2008.

I was wondering... facebook is a nice site and all, but... there are so many sites almost similar to facebook that do not become so popular.

I'm assuming Facebook must have had a HUGE advertising budget to launch and promote their site... The problem with this is that I never ever see an ad on the web or on tv/radio about it...

According to some sources the site became huge because of the "invite friends" scripts, but this alone can't be it... At the start of such a site there are no members and it's no fun to hang around on a site with only 100 members or so.

So... how did they market a site like this? Has anyone ever seen any ads? Maybe in the US they run TV ads or something?

fatabbot, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  2. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    word of mouth
    it has a good name also from the begining its seems to me like one of the classier sites for keeping in touch with people. For some reason it is not spammed and filled with a bunch of perverts like myspace

ErikJ, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  3. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because of it's concept. They were the first who had that kind of approach (connecting people - college, work place, etc).

dmi, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  4. hank russell

hank russell Peon

Best Answers:
    Well they were not really the first (Myspace were bigger) but they had something that others didn't. There are several considerations and the first is the "critical mass". If you have ever started up a forum, you would appreciate the critical mass issue. Suddenly, after a period of doldrums, a site / blog / forum can become more popular and then it spreads virally.

The other issue is the Unique Selling Point (concepts can be "sold" as well as products). If something offers something that others don't have then it can appear attractive. Think "what's in it for me" - why would I use Facebook as opposed to Myspace?

hank russell, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  5. joerzoe

joerzoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though the features make beginner to feel confuse but it really works for connecting people worldwide.New concept differ from myspace,friendster and etc.That bring up facebook and become dominant.

joerzoe, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  6. Ehmad

Ehmad Peon

Best Answers:
    Ehmad, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  7. Jmz

Jmz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the people that created Facebook targeted their advertising at universities in the US, then once they had a good userbase they could rely more on viral advertising.

Jmz, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  8. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Miracle. :rolleyes:

maldives, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  9. osmasters

osmasters Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have sites www. newsinbusiness.com. How can i make it popular?

osmasters, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  10. Ehmad

Ehmad Peon

Best Answers:
    Ehmad, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  11. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So that's why I like myspace :D :D

There was nothing particular facebook did. They just had the right concept in the right span of time. It is similar with dating sites: why some get popular while others only get 100 members or so... It is a great deal of luck. I am sure we could name a lot of interesting and valuable web-projects that failed to hit the big time for no particular reason.

Emh... since when stealing other peoples' threads is OK in DP? I wonder why there are no admins or moders hanging around any more? huh?

tankard, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  12. Sports General

Sports General Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Harvard University, 2. Venture Capital.

Sports General, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  13. Ljiljan

Ljiljan Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe because following reasons:

1. Simple domain
    2. Fun and Attractive design
    3. Great marketing
    4. Better than MySpace :)

Ljiljan, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  14. marksmatter

marksmatter Peon

Best Answers:
    Could not agree more. For some reason, myspace seems like the trailer park of social networking...

Also, I believe facebook first was a hit among college students, basically by word of mouth. Only then did they open up their doors to all.

marksmatter, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  15. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It established itself in a niche market to start with - the college kids who were a natural for online communication.
    After that - well, I've got a lot of geeky friends who got bored of friendster, sick of myspace because of the 'crashiness' and the spamming, but are pretty much sticking with facebook. It allows people to communicate very easily with each other, play games with your friends, share photos and make jokey rude comments about each other - in short, the format is working.

magda, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  16. trumpcard

trumpcard Member

Best Answers:
    There's a law similar to the 80/20 rule that describes this. I can't remember what it's called. But what it has to do with it why some sites/products/services/companies are number 1 in their business and why most of the market wants to deal with them first. Then going down the list from there the amount of people wanting to deal with each following entity becomes less and less. So most people want to be on facebook because everyone else is on facebook.

trumpcard, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  17. fatabbot

fatabbot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse... everyone knows this.
    The thread is about step 3... HOW did they market it.

fatabbot, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  18. danyo

danyo Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe you are thinking of the pareto principle which I suppose in this context would suggest that 20 percent of existing facebook users produce 80 percent of future facebook users?

danyo, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  19. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was all to do with the design and features they have. Like image tagging, status etc...

It just caught on.

fadetoblack22, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  20. OliverG

OliverG Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think what fundamentally contributed to Facebook's explosion was the inclusion of some truly EXCELLENT and unique features that you couldn't find anywhere else. It also did away with the problem that sites like Bebo and Myspace had - crappy ugly customisable profiles.

Word of Mouth certainly had a huge influence on it's growth as well. I only signed up because my friends signed up, and it's that kind of social aspect that really promotes astronomical growth.

OliverG, Oct 29, 2008 IP