1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. potentialeight

potentialeight Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally have a problem with procrastination that I have to work hard everyday to keep at bay. Daily meditation helps, and so does avoiding distractions. This program called Freedom that I use to turn off my Internet access for a set amount of time is a lifesaver in that regard.

potentialeight, Nov 13, 2012 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  2. warriorworking

warriorworking Member

Best Answers:
    Try to write something that you enjoy writing about. This get the juices flowing. Then turn back to write the task at hand.

warriorworking, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  3. TravisO

TravisO Peon

Best Answers:
    Right... say, write a summary about your favorite book or movie... you don't have to publish it... it will just serve as a warmup to get you started...

TravisO, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.....from such small beginnings great ideas can spring forth, like a phoenix arising from the ashes.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  5. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what I'm wiring. If it's a personal project then I'll just put it aside for a bit. If it's a project for a client, then I just push myself to write it. Maybe I'll do some more research if it's a non-fictional subject.

ViolentAJ, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    But exactly how do you "push" yourself to write,what gets it done?

Spoiltdiva, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  7. timbonitus

timbonitus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't know but I force myself to complete orders for clients in the shortest amount of time possible. I used to slack off when it comes to writing but now as soon as someone tells me to write something I will start working on it. It is just a matter of forcing yourself to focus.

timbonitus, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @timbonitus
    Forcing oneself to produce in order to pay the bills is "working". Putting forth words from the heart is "writing". If you agree with what I just wrote,is there a way to hybrid the two,or is it one or the other?

Spoiltdiva, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  9. marcobaldwin

marcobaldwin Peon

Best Answers:
    Practice only working 90 minutes at a time. If you know you can’t take a break then here’s what you do.

Take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can... then release fastWithout getting too deep, I just tell you it shakes things up in your body a bit. It also helps you focus because you can only focus on one thing… you breathing. So whatever you had on your mind is eased temporarily because you are putting stress on your body. Letting the air out gives you an amazing release.

Distract yourself... then try agianGive your brain a break and do something to immediately change how I feel or clear your mind. Hot showers and a beer usually does the trick and if that doesn't work then I know it's probably something mental.

It might be mental... maybe something deeper. Maybe there's something in my past, present, or future that is eating away at my brain and robbing me of my ability to write. Maybe an unresolved issue. If so I go and resolve it immediately. If it’s not able to be resolved then you must accept that it is real and present. Try to learn from the situation and possibly see the lesson it is teaching you. Most times, you will have to learn how to emotionally detach yourself from the situation all together by altering your focus onto something else.

If all else fails, just start typing... blah... blah... blah.... until something comes up, lolI hope this helpsMarco Baldwin

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    marcobaldwin, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  10. marcobaldwin

marcobaldwin Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree more with the second part of your statement. I write for the fun of it and because it’s my source of income. If you are making a good living from writing AND creating your own schedule then that would be the perfect blend. Writers are creative by nature and will never be happy writing for someone else because it limits their range of mobility. Unfortunately, most writers don’t get paid enough for their talent.

Sad but true. Forcing one’s self to pay the bills via writing is not the real issue. I believe, it has more to do with the marketing of your talent and leveraging the resources available to you. There are many ways to write, distribute, and leverage your art works. For example, most people write an article to promote their book, run it through a spinner, and distribute the article through directories.

My suggestion would involve that article being repurpose into blog posts, scripts for podcasts, video scripts, social media interaction, and if they wrote several articles then turning those articles into a report or an e-book for purchase on kindle or nook. You can use the reports or e-books for free give-a-ways to capture names and emails in return for more value you can give to people. That’s just the beginning…So, if you are writing for yourself, calling the shots, and working on your own time then the possibility of making a good living is really good.I hope this helpsMarco Baldwin

marcobaldwin, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @marcobaldwin
    Distracting oneself seems like a logical way to break writers block. And yes I do agree that most writers are not compensated enough for their talents.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  12. James38

James38 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's all about removing one's mental blocks to writing. Most people believe that writing is a talent, however it's more of a skill than a talent and anyone can learn it. Once you know you can write well, no bad day can prevent you from writing. BTW, perfectionists have harder time to write because they have to grapple with constant self-censorship therefore they are much more likely to have writers blocks.

James38, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I do not agree with you at all. Not "anyone can learn it". Few people can write,and even fewer can write well. I find your comment somewhat condescending and insulting.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  14. James38

James38 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva That is OK not to agree with the opinion of other people. A forum is about dicsussion and expressing ideas. I am sorry you felt somehow insulted by my post, that was definitely not my intent. Good day.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    James38, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  15. websparkles

websparkles Peon

Best Answers:
    When I am not in a mood to write, I do some reading instead. Reading some high qulaity blog posts by some awesome writers inspires me to write too.

websparkles, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @websparkles,
    Cool username........If high quality posts inspire you to write,then stay tuned. This forum is where you'll find them.:)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  17. XenAce

XenAce Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you are not in good mood of writing, try to take a break and do what ever that could make you back in mood, partying and hangout for a couple of hours is a good idea lol

XenAce, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    "Partying and hangout for a couple of hours"....it's nice to see someone who enjoys their work.:)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  19. houseofweddings

houseofweddings Peon

Best Answers:
    If you consider you must wait to write until the accurate temper strikes, you'll never get plentiful done. Many writers still persist in this myth and support it with remarkable logics.

houseofweddings, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @houseofweddings
    This of course is the point of this thread. There are times (writers being under contract,timelines having to be met,script writers etc.)when waiting until you are in the mood or right mindset is not an option. So how does one write when not in the mood?
    Some of the suggestions thus far have been predictable, while others ingenious and unexpected in their originality.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 30, 2012 IP