1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @geegel
    Disapline is not something that every writer possesses. Some creative artistic types lack this. I've known writers who languish away in a quasi depressive state,producing nothing for days. Then they come alive because of some kind of motivation, and produce volumes of work in a frenzied flourish of brillance.
    No disapline at all from these types.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Spoiltdiva, Sep 12, 2012 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  2. ronoliverclarin

ronoliverclarin Member

Best Answers:
    I just take a nap. Once I wake up, I can write again :)

ronoliverclarin, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  3. Calorieman

Calorieman Peon

Best Answers:
    It's simple really.

If you don't write, you don't get to eat.

Before the internet, when writers had to get a publishing house to print their writings just so they could get out there and be read. Now with the internet any joe smoe can hammer out on the keyboard some gibberish and pusblish if for free.

In the old days, writers could sit there and not worry about SEO or non-English folk taking the job of writing away from them.

If you are lucky in today's society, you could carve out a niche for yourself. I sure ain't sharing mine.

I am sure there are non-English folk out there who churn out articles today. I guess they don't really care about reaching out to the reader because after all content is not king right? Everything just seems to be about SEO. As long as the site ranks #1 who cares right? It's not like the site visitor can read the fine print right?

I thought the whole point was to reach out to the reader and get him or her to do something like pull out their credit card and buy a product from some affiliate network. I guess I was wrong. People don't read anymore, they don't have to. A nice big red button would do the same job at a cheaper price.

So how do they write?

Well they don't write.

They turn off their minds and write hogwash. You know, a great writer would make emotional points. Anchors into the human soul. Too bad the internet just spams entire books all over the place and those great writers just don't get fed. So they don't eat. They don't eat they die or go find a real job, that isn't about writing.

The closest thing to a good writer nowadays are those guru dudes who can convice anyone that their a lesser deity.

Well maybe I sound too negative but I am just saying what's on my mind.

You know, personally, I only write when I am in the mood because if I am not in the mood I can't care about the reader. I can't convince them if they don't want to read in the first place. What's the point?

Calorieman, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  4. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Discipline is not something you're born with, it's something you develop over time through practice.

I'm familiar with this kind of work ethic and I'm also familiar with another phenomenon called "writer burn out". New writers will tend to start their career with an amazing output, then gradually decline until they reach a full stop.

The artistic types don't last long in this business. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon and if you don't work to build some discipline you'll eventually go under.

geegel, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  5. bartholomew.charles

bartholomew.charles Peon

Best Answers:
    I exercise first and really sweat a lot, then rest a bit, take a shower and have a green meal. After that I am pump up for work.

bartholomew.charles, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Exercise and eat then write,stimulate the body first then the mind. I like it......sounds like a winning strategy to me.:)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Most writers I know spend endless hours reading in order to do research for their writing projects.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  8. mmm555

mmm555 Member

Best Answers:
    If I go for a walk or do something relaxing... that is... take a little break... then I can usually get myself back in the mood to write more.

mmm555, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @mmm555,
    Disengaging then recharging your batteries. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  10. CoolhandLocke

CoolhandLocke Peon

Best Answers:
    That sums it up for me. For my current job I just have to produce 3 quality articles a day... that's it. That being said some days it's a struggle, especially when you're writing about the same thing every single day. I probably experience burnout at least once a month, but if I want to pay my bills I have to trudge through it. I've put out my share of less than spectacular articles over the years, but you've gotta do what you've gotta' do.

I think environmental has a lot to do with it as well. Sometimes I need a quite room to get my brain ticking and other times I've cranked out 6 top-notch articles while watching sportscenter in the background. To combat writers block and fatigue I'll sometimes read a book or do some yardwork... basically do something that has nothing to do with my work. I would recommend vegging out and playing a video game as that's good for a lot of folks, doesn't work for me though as I cover games lol.

CoolhandLocke, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  11. Joe S Myalias

Joe S Myalias Peon

Best Answers:
    When I'm feeling unmotivated or uninspired I do a little exercise I refer to as "11 minute ramble." Just as it sounds, for 11 minutes I type whatever nonsense comes to mind, anything from toilet bowls to time travel, socks to Socrates. This establishes a rhythm.
    I thought this technique to be unique, but perusing previous posts I see it's quite common.

Joe S Myalias, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @CoolhandLocke
    "Just" 3 quality articles a day? I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. Many of us would find that a challenge to produce everyday.

@Joe S Myalias
    Toilet bowls to Socrates,you certainly have a wide range.:)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  13. W1ck3dS1ck

W1ck3dS1ck Member

Best Answers:
    Listening to some music and jogging. While I am running often ideas pop up in my head. If the weather doesn't allow for jogging I try with reading a magazine on a related topic or a book. Well it works only 60% of time so I don't think it is too efficient.

W1ck3dS1ck, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @W1ck3dS1ck

You'll have to come up with a strategy to compensate for the 40% of the time when it doesn't work.:)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  15. TheCreator

TheCreator Banned

Best Answers:
    I think there are so many articles available online about it.

TheCreator, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  16. monsoondreams

monsoondreams Member

Best Answers:
    Mood, muse, inspiration... these are all things that I learned to leave behind as I grew in maturity as a writer. These things are a novice's burden--if you're a mature writer, you don't need to be "in the right mood" to write. You don't need "to find inspiration" to write. You just write.

Being ill, suffering the death of a loved one, etc... that's a different story altogether. That isn't about mood--even something as simple as flipping burgers can go awry when you're ill or going through a tough time.

monsoondreams, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  17. Annabelle1

Annabelle1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously it's hard to write an article when you are not in mood,it's hard to think you know.

Annabelle1, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  18. TopNotchwrites

TopNotchwrites Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its always a matter of paying bills and feeding your family. But breaks are important and i believe one should have one every week.

TopNotchwrites, Nov 3, 2012 IP
  19. hollowmatt

hollowmatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's a good idea!

hollowmatt, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  20. TravisO

TravisO Peon

Best Answers:
    what I normally do is to watch movie or read a book first to set my mood and mind... if still not in a mood to write or think, i take a quick nap...

TravisO, Nov 13, 2012 IP