1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ha*ha!:rolleyes: Coffee and chocolates, we are on the same page! I am very happy to give you your 1st like!

Spoiltdiva, Mar 8, 2016 IP
  2. JudySlean

JudySlean Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Keep calm and start to write! Try to relax and find something interesting for yourself! Try to imagine something interesting and describe it in a paper! Also, do it RIGHT NOW, bory asshole( It is my motivational phrase)

JudySlean, Mar 9, 2016 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Ah, if only that were possible! Many of us have busy lives and so much to do during the day. Appointments, meetings and people to see etc. We cannot always write when it suits us. Would be nice if we could though.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 11, 2016 IP
  4. nimarvic

nimarvic Peon

Best Answers:
    I go out for a walk, paint, drink a beer or watch a tv show. After this I usually have a few ideas pop into my head to begin writing.

nimarvic, Mar 11, 2016 IP
  5. FemaleAdda

FemaleAdda Member

Best Answers:
    writing isnt hard when you once start writing.. thats the difficult part.. to start.. sometimes you are not in the mood.. sometimes you just dont have enough words or ideas.. so what then.. if you are time bound then you have to do what everyone else does.. read others posts or articles of the same niche...
    that might get the ideas flowing..

FemaleAdda, Mar 12, 2016 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If I drink (usually wine) then my work ethic goes right out the window. if I watch t.v. then I fall asleep. Neither method increases my productivity.

@FemaleAdda "read other posts or articles of the same niche" no that's not for me. I've always strived to be as original as I can.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 12, 2016 IP
  7. Svetla Vasileva

Svetla Vasileva Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the time I am in the mood, and even craving for writing, but I do not know what to write about. In such cases, I just sit and start writing whatever comes to my head, just to empty it.

My English teacher used to say: "You should not wait for inspiration, begin and inspiration will find you!"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Svetla Vasileva, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. ahmedwaqas92

ahmedwaqas92 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Writing, much like other senses that embody a person's humanitarian characteristics, is a means for expression of thought. As humans we are hard wired to express ourselves (naturally) and through man made mediums but the intrinsic value of writing; as it's most basic fundamental level is, by and large, expression of thoughts and feelings.

Having said the above, we all have encountered people who write quite well and honestly speaking written literature is as emotion driven as any other form of expression out there. The crux of the matter however is that some people, "writers" are better equipped to express themselves through words as compared to their contemporaries and therefore we have individuals who excel in the art than others around them.

Now since expression of thought is fundamentally tailored on how a person feels in a given time frame it is unwise to say, that writing a piece that has meaning and a sense of attachment to the reader can be done by looking at the latter as a job / responsibility. When a person writes for an audience, I believe the first and foremost aspect that caters to a successful feedback is the aspect of relating to the piece; ingenuity can be spotted from a mile and no matter how good you are with your words you cannot simply fake your way past a knowledgeable reader.

I'll quote a very personal example that relates to something I experience regularly; now I am an avid cricket (the sport) follower / fan and while I am not self boasting here but I take pride in the amount of knowledge that I have for this particular niche. If let's say a writer or any sport platform starts writing about this particular genre, then people like me - THE TARGET MARKET FOR THIS NICHE would need 30-40 seconds to pluck out the pretenders who are copy writing for promotion purposes. The same goes for target audiences that have insight on other things and hence writing something that you have no desire, inspiration or emotion for will; 9 times out of 10 result in extremely redundant, monotone and boring copy.

Emotion, honest opinion and the passion to write for the things you love will always be several notches above than that for what you have no clue about. A good writer; someone who has the ability to pen down thoughts onto paper will give you reasonable facts about a well researched topic but that sense of attachment to the written piece can never be developed if the writer does not have hands on experience with the niche he/she is writing about.

Feelings such as motivation and depression do play a large part in how written material is perceived by the audience but that does not even remotely associate if the copy produced is genuinely relating to the target audience. It will show that the writer was bitter, happy, down etc etc but even then if it's for something you care about the target audience will find a way to relate and the literature would land as a success. If you just research about a topic and then proceed to write based on 'facts', more often than not no matter how happy you could be - knowledgeable readers will quite possibly shun it as garbage.

At the end of the day it's the reality of one's thoughts and feelings that caters and attracts readers - rather than some well pend down DYI.

ahmedwaqas92, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  9. Sumi Ariani

Sumi Ariani Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for inspiring me

Sumi Ariani, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Very good quote, wish that I had come up with that myself. But don't worry because I'll be using it from now on.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2016 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I"m glad that something on this thread has inspired you.

@ahmedwaqas92 Thank you for your post and welcome to the DP community.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2016 IP
  12. ahmedwaqas92

ahmedwaqas92 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the hospitality; it seems newcomers are welcomed here with open arms. Can't say the same about other places - usually I would've gotten ridiculed until a few hundred posts :( . Happy to be around such nice folks; greatly looking forward to my time here on DPF

ahmedwaqas92, Mar 21, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  13. DD Grace

DD Grace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I usually listen to my favorite music, drink hot tea and switch activities. What it means? I plan my work, divide it into smaller parts, and start writing. When I reach the end of my timing for one particular task, I make a break (5-10 minutes). After that I continue my work, and use this trick till the end of the working day.

DD Grace, Mar 23, 2016 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a good plan. I do try to do likewise, but sometimes things get so hectic that my well laid plans go all to hell.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2016 IP
  15. DigitalDistortion

DigitalDistortion Peon

Best Answers:
    I've found lately that convincing myself to work for 15 minutes is a great con. It's too tiny a work period to justify your way out of, and getting started is usually the hardest part.

DigitalDistortion, Mar 25, 2016 IP
  16. jfsmartadv

jfsmartadv Peon

Best Answers:
    You get paid for it and rely on that money to live. This is usually motivation enough to produce some quality copy. If not, you are in the wrong line of work, no shame in that ;-)

jfsmartadv, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I've never had an issue with this. Deadlines and contracts have always managed to inspire me to at least get started.

@jfsmartadv Yes money is a great motivator, but not always enough to draw out the passion that I need to do my best work. Some of us though can produce good content without being in the mood to write, but it isn't our best work.
    Fortunately writing is not my primary source of income, but I do need to do a lot of it to keep the wheels turning. I am thankful that I can rely on full time writers, but often wonder how they can do it day after long day.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  18. JDMS

JDMS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd rather do writing than anything else so like kcareconnections, it doesn't seem like work. I don't work for others. I just write content for my sites and books.

I make a point of writing just one paragraph a day, no matter how I feel. It's very, very rare for me to be left with just one paragraph - usually, it's several pages.

The secret, for me, is to set the output target low and then I'm pleasantly surprised (smug, if I'm honest) when I exceed that target by a wide margin.

JDMS, Apr 2, 2016 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    It would appear that writing is in your blood. Please send me a pint of it and I'll get a blood transfusion. Then I'll always be in the mood to write.;)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  20. sophieleo

sophieleo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Don't write when you're not in mood of writing just take rest and watch some funny stuff

sophieleo, Apr 3, 2016 IP