1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bojan92

bojan92 Guest

Best Answers:
    What i usually do is find my happy place. At the end of the day you have to be mentally really strong to be able to write stuff when you are not feeling like it. You buckle up get cheerful get in the mood and start going. I am not writer myself but i do have some friends who have writing as their main profession. If you are doing it seriously it is not an easy job to have.

bojan92, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oddly enough as true as your comment is, few on this thread have touched on this. Yes one needs to train oneself to be mentally strong. Discipline to write quality when not into it. (not being the mood)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 7, 2015 IP
    bojan92 likes this.
  3. kimanierick

kimanierick Member

Best Answers:
    It will depend why you do writing and what do you focus on. If you right about interesting things and staff that excite you and you are passionate about them, I dont think you can ever get bored. maybe getting tired which is a nature in every human. but when i am tired, I just watch funny clips and some movies in PC. thank you

kimanierick, Nov 8, 2015 IP
  4. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I take a break from whatever it is tht I'm doing. Go for a walk, read something interesting. Talk to someone.

rsrikanth05, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  5. Downloadfeast

Downloadfeast Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My small tips,

Just think about when you start writing your first article.
    Your mistakes, your imagination, your willingness, your craziness, your courage, your satisfaction, your doubts about how people will react for your article. and thats' enough to change your mind to write an excellent article again..

Downloadfeast, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @kimanierick
    If you are among those who never get bored when writing then you are among the few. Consider yourself lucky.
    @rsrikanth05
    Taking a break is good advice but not always practical when you have a deadline to meet, and the client is breathing down your neck wanting the content yesterday.
    @Downloadfeast
    Thinking about how one was when starting out could motivate some. As to me it would only serve to discourage me. Truth be told I made more than my fair share of mistakes and would just as soon forget the past.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  7. abdmjz

abdmjz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find it difficult to come up with great ideas when I'm in a bad mood. So I just listen to music to return to normal state before doing any writing.

abdmjz, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  8. kimanierick

kimanierick Member

Best Answers:
    it is not luck, I have just learnt not to get bored when doing something that I love passionately.

kimanierick, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  9. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, it is indeed difficult to take a break when you have a deadline, but taking a break and motivating yourself is better than wasting your time trying to write when you know you cannot.

rsrikanth05, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Music does relax me and takes me away from whatever mood I've gotten myself into, so useful in that regard. But if I'm writing something technical then I find music distracting and it puts me off.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 10, 2015 IP
  11. abdmjz

abdmjz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same here.. I listen to music while I'm away from laptop.. Normally I walk around the house with headphones on. Once I'm done I return back to work. Btw this happens only when I'm in a very bad mood.

abdmjz, Nov 10, 2015 IP
  12. Linda March

Linda March Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm not in the mood that day for writing, I prefer not to write anything that to write something that is not good. I have days when I am inspired an write a lot of articles, but there are some days in which i can't write more than two or three phrases before having to draft it and come back in another day.

Linda March, Nov 10, 2015 IP
  13. Rhett T

Rhett T Member

Best Answers:
    I have changed over the years: initially, when I was struggling with writer's block, I would listen to music (movie trailers, musical scores, etc.). Now, I find that do a quick five minute round of meditation to clear out the negativity and mental block that I am feeling. I cannot recommend it enough. Another resource that I found that really aided me with pushing through not wanting to write is Stephen Pressfield's book The War of Art.

Seriously, go buy that book or rent it from your local library. I love it.

Rhett T, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I have done exactly this on many occasions and have had to pay for it the next day by having to write twice as much!:(
    @Rhett T
    Meditation works if you are in a peaceful environment but I seldom am and often find myself surrounded by distractions of one sort or another.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  15. Rhett T

Rhett T Member

Best Answers:
    I would disagree; life itself is a distraction, and learning to be able to find stillness and self awareness wherever you are is the aim, in one shape or another. There will always be dogs barking, doors slamming, and children playing or crying, am I right? :)

Regardless, if it doesn't work for you, no worries! I think finding what works for each of us to keep focus and writing in spite of roadblocks to be another journey many of us who choose this path as a living.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Rhett T, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  16. dragansk

dragansk Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me, music works fine

dragansk, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  17. Linda March

Linda March Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's the thing, I do have days when I can double or triple my writing effort with ease. Maybe is just a style that I used because I didn't have enough time for writing in college and that stuck with me.

Linda March, Nov 15, 2015 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @dragansk
    If music is all you need then you are fortunate.
    @Linda March
    I am exactly the same way. There are days when I can't accomplish very much, other days I am like the energizer bunny and it amazes me what I can do in say 8-10 hours.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 17, 2015 IP
  19. Linda March

Linda March Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha.. energizer bunny. That's funny :D

I work for 6-10 hours usually, in 20-40 minutes work time with 5-10 minutes break. This way I can accomplish more in a good day.

Linda March, Nov 17, 2015 IP
  20. FoxIX

FoxIX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a great post with some really useful tips in it. I find I have to have music on in the background. I tend to tune it out and it ends up as background noise, but it still has to be there. But sometimes I'll start hearing the music and I'll sit there and think "What IS this cr&p I'm listening too?" and at that point I have to change to a differently style of music. Generally I start with something up beat and work my way down until I'm listening to something completely chillout and mellow (space travel works well for me). By the time I'm at that stage though, I've finished the article and I'm just tidying it up. Although, procrastination is a BIG issue for me. Hopefully this post will help :)

FoxIX, Jan 5, 2016 IP