1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like that, very well put. I'll be sure to use this quote in my future writings. Hope you don't mind me *borrowing* from you?:)

@tulipweb
    Reading and listening to music, these do work as motivators. I often rely on music to put me in the mood to work/write. Music can take you away long enough to alter your mindset and reset your mood.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  2. MelanieFitzpatrick

MelanieFitzpatrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have been writing for many years now make my living by writing articles. Yes, I admit, there are some days where i'm just not in the mood, but isn't that how everyone is with every job? We still have to do it. When i'm not in the mood to write, I push myself, because I know that the client is waiting on the work and turnaround times are very important. On those days when you're not in the mood, just sit down and start writing that article, don't think about it. :)

MelanieFitzpatrick, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  3. Sheikh Asad Ahmed

Sheikh Asad Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be happy! its all yours.

Sheikh Asad Ahmed, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  4. SuperiorWD

SuperiorWD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I usually keep a list of possible titles for inspiration. Then I have a schedule. It's easier to get in the mood, when I know that today I write about SEO for instance (and even more specifically - I have to write a seo article about link building for instance). I also schedule posts. When I have the time to do some more writing, I just prepare the articles and schedule them for the right day.

SuperiorWD, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That is precisely what I used to do when I wrote full time for a living. Trouble is that my writing appeared mechanical and I became robotic and unhappy. I simply cannot and will not write without feeling and emotion. I have since found other ways to bring in income.
    Making a living isn't always fun, I get it. Bills have to be paid and deadlines have to be met etc. I have always felt that writers are artists and creating a drawing as opposed to painting a house is what I'm getting at.

@SuperiorWD
    Inspirational titles for reference, I like it!

Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  6. Afsary Junaid

Afsary Junaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my case, i cant write when im on off mood. Last night i tried, result was rubbish!

Afsary Junaid, Apr 27, 2014 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    This thread was created for people like you. I suggest that when you can't create good content because you're not in the mood to write, take the time to read this whole thread from start to finish.
    I have yet to do this as it would take a lot of time. But surely out of all the above posts, there would be at least one tip that might help you.

Spoiltdiva, May 3, 2014 IP
  8. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    There are different writers. When i did copywriting, i would often depend on my mood. It was my weakness. There are writers who have overcome it. There are techniques to improve your concentration and will power. Some of most effective are found in yoga and all these Buddhist meditation things.
    Another thing is your motivation. If you are a poor guy somewhere in India or Africa with four or five children around, you are much more motivated than, say a higher-middle class US gal on a year-long holiday at the Goan beaches doing her freelance copywriting from time to time.

Karuna17, May 19, 2014 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Very good, I hadn't contemplated that. It does lend itself to a different perspective when one ponders your thoughts on this.

Spoiltdiva, May 19, 2014 IP
  10. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva there's a proverb, sounds smth like "good journalist is a really hungry journalist":)

Karuna17, May 20, 2014 IP
  11. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I were in bad mood, I will stop writing. Listen to songs, music.
    Read book sometimes. Or yoga do helps.
    Try it.. Because if you are in bad mood, it is impossible to write good articles.

Melisa455, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  12. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Something interesting is discussing about the chances and developments of your writing for your job. I mean, I feel to have the maximum motivation when I write for myself. When you are just paid for that creative thing, and you lose it, you lose a lot more.

Sheikh Asad Ahmed likes this.
  13. benedictator

benedictator Peon

Best Answers:
    I can say from my own experience that the problem with a "bad mood" and lack of motivation occurs when I have to sit at a desk for hours regardles of my job being done or not. If i could go home when I finished I would not have any problem with writing. I would write even better I guess.

benedictator, Jul 15, 2014 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    My goodness, it's been close to one and a half years since I checked into DP. I've been so busy (and out of the country) but wanted to see how this thread was doing. It's good to be back.
    @Melisa455
    I disagree with it being "impossible" to write well when in a bad mood. When I get into a bad mood it invokes my passion and I write with increased vigor.
    @Jake The Competition Man
    Writing for oneself is a luxury few of us can afford. There really is no profit in it.
    @benedictator
    Desk slavery......we need emancipation!

Spoiltdiva, Sep 19, 2015 IP
  15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Haha yes it was a shock to see your name in one of the recent posts. Busy drinking wine and eating cheese, I presume.

dcristo, Sep 19, 2015 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    As a matter of fact I was in France for a year attempting to deal with taxes and other issues. You have no idea what red tape and government interference is until you've spent time in France.
    But...yes there was wine and plenty of cheese involved. I did manage to get some writing in as I was also working as well as dealing with personal stuff. And as mentioned previously I do write well when angered. (French municipal officials generally piss me off) Anger is a motivator when one gets the writers block.

Spoiltdiva, Sep 19, 2015 IP
  17. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes professional writers are not in the mood in producing interesting article but they have ways to overcome it because its their responsibility. They can chill themselves and release some stress or negative feelings by doing interesting things that can regain their inspirations to write great content for the audience.

KylieSweet, Sep 20, 2015 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @KylieSweet
    Yes responsibility to pay the bills and keep the lights on. Responsibility will make writers produce but at what level? Motivation to produce worthwhile content when not in the mood to write is what is commonly referred to as "writer's block". A very serious issue to professional writers as it can and will eventually affect their reputation and bottom line.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Spoiltdiva, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  19. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When I'm in the mood I do the stuff that demand quality and of course pay well. For me it all boils down to money at the end of the day. On some days I do 2 articles and make $100 and on others I do 20 to make that...and my mood lets me decide the work for the day....... When I am not in the mood I start thinking something awkward then I use google :) :D ..... It helps me alot to pass palgarism softwares without being interuppted or noticed by that software.... ;) in short google your mind and the article in written :p

mentat47, Sep 27, 2015 IP
  20. Otto Baynes

Otto Baynes Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I visualize standing in a soup kitchen line or sleeping in a tent, 'cause that's where I'll be if I don't get enough work in :)

I find the beauty of freelancing (and what makes this better than a 9-5 despite all the uncertainty and lack of safety net) is that I'm always motivated for at least enough of the day to get all the work I need done in, provided I can set my own hours and take breaks to watch ESPN or play Zelda or something for 30 minutes whenever I feel like it :)

Otto Baynes, Oct 7, 2015 IP