1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So if you have a deadline to meet and you weren't in the mood, would you just tell your client "I cant finish your work as i'm not in the mood?"
    Don't think you'll keep too many clients that way....

malky66, Jul 1, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, Devtard and radium like this.
  2. radium

radium Active Member

Best Answers:
    But I start writing and start it with "I'm not in the mood, I don't know how to write it down..." And the rest comes automatically.

radium, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  3. Zion Amal Rafeeq

Zion Amal Rafeeq Member

Best Answers:
    I think this article might help you guys :)
    Magical Ways to Overcome Writers Block

Zion Amal Rafeeq, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You are a *natural* writer, some of us are. With others it is contrived and is not a natural (automatic) talent, but one that was learnt, honed and fine tuned over time.
    The former can do what you do, the latter not so much.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 1, 2013 IP
    radium likes this.
  5. rihannsu

rihannsu Member

Best Answers:
    The short answer is that it's my job. If I have a client who is waiting on me to deliver something in three days, then I have to suck it up and complete their order. Unless I have the flu and cannot physically hold my head up, if I have a professional commitment I'm going to fulfill it. I can't run a business any other way.

In my case, If I don't put in the daily discipline to write, I'm miserable. I'm one of those writers who has to write or she's cranky and not much good during the day. I've learned over the years that if I'll just write something each day, eventually the good stuff comes out. To be creative on a regular basis, you have to become disciplined and set a regular routine. That's really the "secret" to becoming a successful writer.

But it could be worse- I could be back at my old job as a government analyst. :)

rihannsu, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @rihannsu
    Yes a sense of discipline and professionalism will definitely get many into the mood to write. But some writers are artistic types that lack these work ethics, and can only write when inspired.

Being a government analyst means getting a steady paycheck. Now as a writer is this still the case, and if not any regrets? (I believe I already know the answer;))

Spoiltdiva, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  7. rihannsu

rihannsu Member

Best Answers:
    For me, being an analyst meant trying to restrain myself from banging my head on my keyboard from 8-5 on weekdays. ;)

rihannsu, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  8. Web Outsourcing Gateway

Web Outsourcing Gateway Member

Best Answers:
    Its not easy to write especially when you are not in the mood. Even people who have been writing since the day they learned to write have their own downfalls when it comes to having a new interesting ideas to write. You just need to relax and pause for a moment. While resting your mind for a bit, many things will come into your mind. Free writing is one thing if you are not in the mood to write it perfectly. However, you need to proofread and edit your work before submitting it to your boss or posting it online. Hope this could help, have a wonderful writing journey.

9. ekim941

ekim941 Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to look at this from a different angle, writing is an escape. So, if you are having a bad day, you can dive into a different world and start writing. Now, that pretty much only applies to writing fiction.

There are no wrong ways to write and every writer has a different method. For me, I normally write "free-flow". However, there are times (or projects) when the words just don't seem to flow like they normally do and I have to step back and write an outline.

With outlining, you can start with just the basics, a skeleton, and expand on that. "Lather, rinse, repeat"-- Once you have expanded on your outline, expand on it again (and again) until you have your completed work. A little trick I picked up for when writing is more of a chore than a joy.

ekim941, Jul 3, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow, ryan_uk and Spoiltdiva like this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Web Outsourcing Gateway
    Relax first, then proofread and edit. Sounds like a winning strategy to me.
    @ekim941
    Ah yes, this tip I can relate to. I *do* look at writing as an escape from this world and all it's turmoil. Of all of the comments this one hits home the most. I do believe that I'm going to have to give you *Best Answer*. I apologize to the poster who previously had it but, that's the way it goes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Jul 3, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
  11. ekim941

ekim941 Member

Best Answers:
    Wow... Thank you. I've written fiction and tutorials. I find that outlining helps immensely when writing content for the web. However, I feel like fiction is best written "free-flow" style. So, I often set that work aside until the mood strikes me.

ekim941, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Do me a small favor ekim941? I want you to edit your last post and elongate it a bit. I don't want you to receive a warning. Mods will give them out if they feel that the post could have been sent as a PM.

Now I don't want a warning so back to topic: Writing when not in the mood is an issue to most of us who love to write. I do believe that the tips given here in this thread will help young aspiring writers and those older writers, who may have lost some of their inspiration. So thanks to all who have posted, and to those who will post in the future.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 3, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and ryan_uk like this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Writers block and not being in the mood to write are two different things.
    Writers block is when your mind just won't give you what you need to produce content. Your mind is blocked and you can't seem to free it.
    Not being in the mood to write is having your mind working, but having your attitude and motivation stuck. I never have writers block as my mind never shuts off. But my desire to write what my mind is producing is the problem for me. If I could make a living as an author of books on subjects that I wish to write on, then I'd always be in the mood to write. But having to write for others on subjects that I find boring, is akin to cruel and unusual punishment.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 15, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard and ryan_uk like this.
  14. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is actually some wisdom in the quote attributed to Hemingway. I think the real message is to let all your words flow without restraint when initially writing and then worry about making it work for the project or to perfect it later. I think this helps with "not being in the mood" because much of that happens when the precise words do not seem to flow. I think that is when you need to sort of let loose, drop the rigid requirements that you may be putting on a piece of writing and put anything on the page so you have material you can work with later.

tumblr_lxnyule4ua1qfmisno1_500.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    browntwn, Jul 15, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow, Spoiltdiva and ryan_uk like this.
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @browntwn, Ernest Hemingway was not only a brilliant writer but a very wise philosopher, as can be proven by that quote.;)

16. ekim941

ekim941 Member

Best Answers:
    I think the reason for the "Write drunk, edit sober" philosophy is that the alcohol quiets that little voice inside your head that is trying to defeat you. The one that says, "that's not good enough."

If you don't drink you could just write for yourself and edit for public consumption. Which is the same tip that browntwn gives above with some great advice to "write without restraint".

ekim941, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes it does, but drink enough and the next morning that "quiet little voice inside your head" becomes a loud thunder.:cool:

Emma Pollard likes this.
  18. AmritaRiat

AmritaRiat Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes, you just need to start the sentence. It might totally suck, but you need to try to find the words. Because, it's in that process of searching your mind for a synonym that you awaken it and kick start ideas and just find the drive to write something. It's a domino process.

I agree that a lot of people don't want quality, but as a writer, I just cannot attribute my name to something I'm not proud of. So I've had to learn to recall my inner thesaurus quickly and train myself to make sure I'm making a point of some kind.

AmritaRiat, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not sure where you came up with that theory? To my mind everyone seeks quality. The difference between a writer and a wannabe writer is the measuring stick that one uses to ascertain quality. Does one use a yardstick or a little sliver?

Some so called writers churn out repetitive, unoriginal crap and attempt to pass it off as adequate. While others ink out mini works of art. Quality at the end of the day is subjective, but I think we all want it.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  20. AmritaRiat

AmritaRiat Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, we all want quality, I guess I meant to say it's not always prioritised.

It's not really a theory, as much as it is experience. I've now worked for an e-commerce giant and an affiliate marketing start-up, and have had to stand up for quality over quantity at both.

AmritaRiat, Jul 17, 2013 IP