1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

I'm not a writer,I don't make my living by writing. But I do depend on writers to do what I do. I work with writers on a regular basis.
    What intriques me is how writers can consistently write when called apon to do so. I mean don't writers have days when they feel down or uninspired? How can you guys/gals do it? If you don't feel good about where you're at on a particular day headwise,then how can you produce good quality work when you'e just not into it?

Is it simply just a matter of having to make a living,paying the bills? Or do you have methods and techniques to "force" yourselves to "get into the mood" to write?

Solved! View solution.
    Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012 IP
    FarrisFahad likes this.
  2. adexaja

adexaja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can view magazine or newspaper and write in to your blog but rewrite some word :D

adexaja, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Aha,I see....well that was very honest,I must say. :) So when you aren't in the mood to write,you just "copy" other writers work?

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  4. adexaja

adexaja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you can put at footer,

" Source : Example Magazine "

adexaja, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  5. BuriedAlive

BuriedAlive Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't force myself to write when I'm not in the mood. I do something else, distract myself, relax a bit. I usually write on my peak hours. If I work on my off peak hours I get drained, stressed, or get too distracted that I don't end up accomplishing much.

BuriedAlive, Mar 23, 2012 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  6. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Read some funny book

Sam Gilmore, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  7. Abani

Abani Peon

Best Answers:
    Frankly, very few people actually want and pay for quality work- but some do for sure. When not in the mood, I do stuff that are more like putting together stuff that don't demand quality. When I'm doing such stuff I can finish off at least 4-5 500 word articles in an hour because I need to make enough to justify the time spent and quality gets compromised.

When I'm in the mood I do the stuff that demand quality and of course pay well. For me it all boils down to money at the end of the day. On some days I do 2 articles and make $100 and on others I do 20 to make that...and my mood lets me decide the work for the day :)

Abani, Mar 23, 2012 IP
    FarrisFahad likes this.
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are still copying someone else's work and infringing on their copyrights. Attribution doesn't change that.

YMC, Mar 25, 2012 IP
  9. Jteph

Jteph Member

Best Answers:
    I don't write for a living. I only have a blog but sometimes i have that feeling of not being in the mood. I usually do something i like, like taking a walk in the park, or just listening to music while having my eyes closed. Or read a book, watch a movie or just have a cold one. You'll get back on track faster than you think.

Jteph, Mar 25, 2012 IP
  10. sonny_king

sonny_king Member

Best Answers:
    First never steal ANYONES WORK! Swipe not steal..

Second, the trick is to somewhat be at peace of mind all the time. Its hard to do when you are grown but when you have kids (like I do) you look
    upon them for inspiration. No matter what it is for them at that moment, they will still have that child like imagination. When you have writers block
    the best thing I found out is to just let your worries and stress be free....like how a child does

sonny_king, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  11. msmedia

msmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the things I've found to be true, is that you can't "force" yourself to write.

However, you can do a few things to make life easier:

1. Always have a few different writing projects/options available.

This gives you variety and something to choose from. You might not be in the mood for one topic, but could muster the motivation to focus on another.

2. Warm your brain up.

By this, I mean simply writing out all the "junk" as a warm up to your actual writing session.

A lot of people get held back by not knowing what to write and eventually get into a flow. This usually helps get to that point of "flow".

3. Take a shower, go for a walk, workout, yoga, etc.

Especially after you've done some research, this is a great treat to yourself and your mind.

Have you ever had an "ah ha!" moment while trying to fall asleep, or while in the shower?

Same principle...

You're giving your subconscious a chance to break down all the info you've consumed and will now have the chance for it
    to do some of the "heavily lifting" for you.

Hope that helps!

msmedia, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  12. Griffin Smith

Griffin Smith Peon

Best Answers:
    When you write for a living freelance or otherwise it's like having a regular job.

Sometimes you don't want to go (But most people do go)

When your income and reputation is dependent on your writing, you just go to work.

I keep this quote posted next to my computer when I'm feeling lackadaisical and not into putting out copy.

"Laziness is the Parasitic twin of Poverty" I read that a couple times and then I get motivated!

Griffin Smith, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  13. kcareconnections

kcareconnections Member

Best Answers:
    I love to write and therefore it does not feel like work to me. Of course, there are still days when the words do not flow quickly or in a manner needed. On those days, I just take a few minutes away from the computer. That is usually all it takes to clear my head and then to get going on an assignment.

kcareconnections, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  14. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $$$ for inspiration is why writers can write.

Laceygirl, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  15. A_Kumar

A_Kumar Peon

Best Answers:
    I like English reading and writing more than my mother tongue. It is because i like to discover new words and try to create golden sentences out of them, hence making better articles than anybody. Money is what i get out of my God gifted talent. So, a little money coming out of nothing is not unhealthy for any Homosapien in this world.

A_Kumar, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Interesting responses so far. I've gotten writers in the past who say they write for the love of it,and others who say they can write when not in the mood because they need the $$$.
    But.....no one here has yet to admit they write irregardless of how they feel because "THEY HAVE TO". What I am getting at is that a writer friend of mine told me recently that she is "addicted" to writing,and has to write daily or she feels empty.
    Anyone else out there that can relate to this?

Spoiltdiva, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think for me it's not as much whether or not I'm in the mood as much as it is whether or not I'm being productive. Some days I'm just in the zone and it flows. Other days just seem harder to get the right word. What should take less than an hour to complete can end up becoming three hours of mass frustration searching for the right way to express something. When it's one of those other days and I'm writing for myself I can usually push through it. But, if I'm having an off day on work for a client, I've found it's better to walk away and work on something else.

When I have trouble on stuff I'm working on, I generally come here. And, what do I end up doing? Writing. lol. But, that will often get the juices flowing again.

Does your writer friend write fiction or non-fiction? I think that makes a difference too.

We've been having periods with weeks of dark, gloomy days. The pretty days in between have often proven too hard to resist. While I might be in the mood to write, the lure of the sun is sometimes stronger. lol.

YMC, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    She writes for a fashion magazine. I can't decide if that would constitute fiction. I suppose that would depend on how one views fashion.:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  19. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder, in her case, if she's more excited about her subject than her writing. ;)

YMC, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  20. bestwater

bestwater Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just start writing. The most difficult part of writing is starting. Once you start writing everything else will flow. Another word of advice is to just write for 10 or 15 minutes non stop. It doesn't matter what you write just write.

bestwater, Apr 10, 2012 IP